Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Nexus 7 4th gear slipping

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-22, 04:37 AM
Dave Sace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Shimano Nexus 7 , all the gears are working as expected , EXCEPT the 4th gear. When I select 4th gear it does not engage and there is 0 power.

Any ideas

Thanks Dave
Old 08-22-22, 01:09 PM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Hi Dave,

Shimano IGH, 7 and 8 speed hubs, the cable tension is set on the 4th gear. There should be two yellow dots or yellow lines in a window on the cassette driver. When you are in the 4th gear, the two yellow dots or lines need to be in alignment.

The 4th gear is the direct drive gear or 1:1 ratio, if it is not engaging, most likely the planetary gears and sun gear is out of alignment. When was the last time you had your hub serviced and shift cables adjusted? Your best bet is take it into a shop that has experience working on IGH and getting a full service if it has been more than 5000km since the last time it was serviced. This would be fresh grease, new oil and new shift cable.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 08-22-22, 06:49 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by *Scuba
The 4th gear is the direct drive gear or 1:1 ratio...
Many (many!) years ago I had a brief e-mail exchange with Sheldon Brown. My question was about whether the 4th ("middle") gear on a Nexus 7-speed hub is a direct drive, similar to the middle gear in a Sturmey-Archer three-speed.
His answer (literally): "No."
There was no further explanation.
Old 08-22-22, 09:35 PM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Many (many!) years ago I had a brief e-mail exchange with Sheldon Brown. My question was about whether the 4th ("middle") gear on a Nexus 7-speed hub is a direct drive, similar to the middle gear in a Sturmey-Archer three-speed.
I will have to double check the Shimano tech documents, but even if it is not a direct drive in the 4th gear. It is the closest for a 1:1 gear ratio.
Old 08-24-22, 04:56 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
The 7 speed does not have a direct one to one gear. The eight speed is direct in fifth
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 09-04-22, 03:17 PM
Dave Sace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by *Scuba
Hi Dave,

Shimano IGH, 7 and 8 speed hubs, the cable tension is set on the 4th gear. There should be two yellow dots or yellow lines in a window on the cassette driver. When you are in the 4th gear, the two yellow dots or lines need to be in alignment.

The 4th gear is the direct drive gear or 1:1 ratio, if it is not engaging, most likely the planetary gears and sun gear is out of alignment. When was the last time you had your hub serviced and shift cables adjusted? Your best bet is take it into a shop that has experience working on IGH and getting a full service if it has been more than 5000km since the last time it was serviced. This would be fresh grease, new oil and new shift cable.

Hope this is helpful.
Hi , thanks for the reply, I serviced it myself because I couldn't find a Shimano Centre near me that had ever serviced a hub before. That was about a year ago. Maybe it is the hub alignment I will give it another look.
Old 09-04-22, 05:09 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Sace
Maybe it is the hub alignment I will give it another look.
Please post the follow-up. "Inquiring minds", etc...