Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Just gave up my car

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Just gave up my car

Old 04-12-22, 10:02 AM
Radsboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Just gave up my car

Hi folks, new member here: 1st post.

I'm 73 and live in a small town in Maine, pop. 6,000+. I'm retired, living on a very small Social Security benefit, and really very comfortable. But: my old Volvo finally got to be a drain on my resources and the biggest source of stress in my life. So, goodbye cars, most likely for the duration.

Back in the day, I worked as a bike messenger in NYC (early 70's, stripped down Raleigh 3-speed with low racing bars) and like most of you, have biked most of my life. Well, now my balance is an issue so I have acquired a new TerraTrike Maverick, 3 wheeler. I love it!

I've lived in the area for 50 years and have made a lot of friends (mostly through my work as a musician in various bands and styles). So in bad weather and for longer distances (e.g. VA hospital appointments) I have friends I can call on.

And for local stuff, I've been managing quite well for grocery shopping, library, and socializing (a beer in a bar now and then etc). This for almost 2 weeks. (I'll deal with Maine winter in a few months).

Anyway this seems like a great and extremely diverse forum. Thanks to all who work at keeping it up and running. Lots of good resources!

Best to you all.
Old 08-27-22, 02:38 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2018), Giant Roam 3 (2021), Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 (2022)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 64 Posts
Good luck for the Maine winter...

Old 08-28-22, 03:20 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Radsboy
Hi folks, new member here: 1st post.
Welcome to the Car-Free ranks. Yeah, that's quite a plunge. I managed it for 30 years. Got a (used) car again because I want to get to a Rail-Trail about 35 miles away without renting a car, which is now expensive or impossible. Yeah, cars are EXPENSIVE. I hope you can figure it out, and be happy year-round.

Just a word of caution about this place. 99.9% of these forum users are awesome. There are a select few, 3 of whom I finally blocked after reading their mean spirited and pearl clutching posts since 2007. I'm telling you this because in the Car-Free part of Bike Forums, those and others feel like unless you live on MARS where there are ZERO automobile possibilities, you are not TRULY car-free. DO NOT let them put you off! They post a lot and rarely offer anything of real value to a cyclist, car-free or otherwise. Or offer just plain nonsense and BS. For instance, if you have a neighbor who would drive you to the doctor in an emergency, you are not totally car free. Stuff like that. If I had it to do over again I would block them sooner.

I was car free three decades and biked across the USA five times fully self contained. If you have any questions, or just want to vent, or chat about those few knuckleheads here, shoot me a PM. I check in at least once a week.

God Speed and good luck! Please keep us posted on your progress, trials, tribulations, victories, and defeats. DO NOT let them run you off!

Cheers!

Joey Brooks a.k.a. JoeyBike

Originally Posted by Radsboy
Best to you all.
You too man. Enjoy the trike!
Old 08-28-22, 04:05 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Welcome.
80 here. converted a Kids trailer for grocerys and stuff.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 08-28-22 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 08-28-22, 04:52 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I'm telling you this because in the Car-Free part of Bike Forums, those and others feel like unless you live on MARS where there are ZERO automobile possibilities, you are not TRULY car-free. DO NOT let them put you off! They post a lot and rarely offer anything of real value to a cyclist, car-free or otherwise. Or offer just plain nonsense and BS. For instance, if you have a neighbor who would drive you to the doctor in an emergency, you are not totally car free
It's based in the immaculate conception way of thought. Complete black and white thinking. Been car free for a long time for several reasons. I sure do miss being able to hop in a car sometimes. 14 winter riding years... in Winnipeg. To the OP, you made a rational decision and went with it. This is all we can do in life as people. Looks like a functional ride you got there - good!
Old 08-30-22, 08:31 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Long time since posting, but two years ago I moved to a different state upon retirement. One of the criteria for location was being able to ride a bike to a certain grocery. Well, it worked out. While I still have a good condition Subaru Forester, I find it very pleasant to ride for transportation. And I have the clothing for winter riding,

I've longed wanted to ride for utility as a primary reason for biking.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 08-31-22, 09:12 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Revived old thread......

If getting to the grocery store was difficult. There are so many nearby I want to hide. Even Walmart is a 20 minute walk.

I wonder how the OP will have made out after this coming Winter. Winters in the Mid Atlantic aren't that bad, but Maine?
Old 08-31-22, 09:53 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
One of the neat things about rural ME are the snow mobile trails going EVERYWHERE in many areas. The issue that arises here is that a trike won't navigate those and you will certainly be risking life and limb to get out on winter roads there. Treacherous defined IME. Full disclosure, I am a GA boy and snow like that isn't a reality down here. Most of the urban areas I visited up there in (several) winter(s) the roads were astoundingly well maintained. Off in the country, often not so much. I figure you have about a month and a half, give or take, to figure those aspects out before that specter becomes a hard reality.

Best of luck, hope it works out for you.