Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do chains on smaller wheels generally wear out faster than bigger wheels?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 08:37 AM
Ev0lutionz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Riding a Brompton as my daily commuter, realised I'm already at 0.5 wear close to the 1000km mark, on my bigger bike I can get more mileage out of a single chain and cassette.
Old 08-30-22, 08:49 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I speculate (ie, without actual evidence) that chains on derailleur-based drivetrains on small-wheeled bikes may be subject to faster wear because of their closer proximity to the road surface and any debris that may be kicked up by the front wheel. All my bikes with 20" wheels (folders) have internally-geared rear hubs, and the chains are not so close to the road. I typically get about 3,000 miles before the chain hits the 1.0% wear mark. When it reaches 0.75% I order a new chain so I'm ready to replace. "0.5" sounds like you have a lot of wear left in that chain if we're talking in the same units.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 08-30-22, 09:53 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Have you checked the accuracy of your chain checker? Mine shows .5% on a chain that's only .25% worn when measured with a measuring tape.
Old 08-30-22, 10:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Agree with the above. I'll add that without more info I can't say much more but conditions and cog counts come into play too. If those are the same...but we don't know about that. Andy
Old 08-30-22, 10:53 AM
Johnathonbenfie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It has so little influence that one can say no.
Old 08-30-22, 11:50 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
The other part of this is could be excessive cog/cassette wear impacting the life of the chain.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-30-22, 05:45 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
It seems to me that just the fact that smaller wheels have to make more turns to cover the same ground they would wear chains, etc. faster.
Also, throw away your chain checker and measure your chain with a good steel rule, if you want to know what is really going on.
Old 08-30-22, 05:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,428 Posts
Yes, using smaller sprockets shortens chain life.

2 reasons for this.

1- driving torque, both input and output, is the product of sprocket radius and chain tension. So any system using small sprockets to achieve a given gear ratio wii have the chain running at higher load.

2- smaller sprockets cause the links to bend more as they wind onto and off the sprockets. More flex = greater wear.

This is why it is SOP in industrial applications to use the largest sprockets practical to the situation.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-30-22 at 06:06 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-30-22, 06:09 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
It seems to me that just the fact that smaller wheels have to make more turns to cover the same ground they would wear chains, etc. faster.
Also, throw away your chain checker and measure your chain with a good steel rule, if you want to know what is really going on.
^^^This.

Per the late Sheldon Brown's online gear calculator, a bike with a 50T front sprocket, an 11T rear sprocket, and 700c x 25 tires rolls approximately 9.6 meters for each turn of the crank. A bike with 20x1.75 BMX wheels/tires and the same front/rear gears rolls only 6.8 meters for each turn of the crank - or approximately 70.83% as far. The crank (and chain and sprockets) on the bike with smaller wheels thus must turn more times in order to cover the same distance - in this case, around 41.2% more. They can therefore be expected to wear out after covering less distance.

Last edited by Hondo6; 08-31-22 at 04:59 AM.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 08-30-22, 11:14 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0lutionz
Riding a Brompton as my daily commuter, realised I'm already at 0.5 wear close to the 1000km mark, on my bigger bike I can get more mileage out of a single chain and cassette.
Are you swapping sprockets when you change the chain? Simultaneous change is a standard for Brompton, but some people miss it and change the sprockets only every few time they swap the chain. I did not notice a difference in the pace of wear for Brompton vs a full size bike, but I did not study it carefully either.
Old 09-02-22, 02:12 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, using smaller sprockets shortens chain life.

2 reasons for this.

1- driving torque, both input and output, is the product of sprocket radius and chain tension. So any system using small sprockets to achieve a given gear ratio wii have the chain running at higher load.

2- smaller sprockets cause the links to bend more as they wind onto and off the sprockets. More flex = greater wear.

This is why it is SOP in industrial applications to use the largest sprockets practical to the situation.
Yup. And the post that says "small wheels have to make more revolutions" is completely irrelevant. It's how many "engagements" of the chain and cogs / chain rings not how many wheel revolutions. To get the needed gear ratios with small wheels, they use small cogs on the cassette and that means faster wear. Whether this is the source of the OP's issue is not clear because if the gears are worn that would have a bigger effect.
Old 09-02-22, 07:41 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I'm not physicist, but to me, that would make sense with tires, but not chains.
Since with the same gearing bigger wheels move a bike more each rotation, the chains and sprockets on the bike with smaller wheels have to make more turns to cover the same distance. Since (like tires) chains and sprockets are mechanical devices, more turns = more wear.
Old 09-02-22, 07:54 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Yup. And the post that says "small wheels have to make more revolutions" is completely irrelevant. It's how many "engagements" of the chain and cogs / chain rings not how many wheel revolutions. To get the needed gear ratios with small wheels, they use small cogs on the cassette and that means faster wear. Whether this is the source of the OP's issue is not clear because if the gears are worn that would have a bigger effect.
When using the same sprockets, a bike with smaller wheels travels less per crank rotation than one with larger wheels. That means to cover the same distance using the same gearing (e.g., 50 front, 13 rear) you'll rotate the crank more times - and will thus engage the teeth on both chainwheel and rear sprocket more often on the bike with smaller wheels to cover that same distance.

You can compensate to a point by using larger front chainwheels on the bike with smaller wheels. But there's a practical limit there due to less ground clearance on smaller-wheeled bikes (I've read that up to a 60T front chainwheel can be used with a Brompton). And even then, 60/50 = 1.2 - and the wheel size difference gives the smaller bike a disadvantage of over 40% in terms of ground covered per wheel rotation.

And as you noted, using smaller rear sprockets to compensate more simply wears them out faster. 60/11 with 20" wheels has roughly the same development as 50/13 with 700c x 25 (8.1m per crank rotation) - but the 11T rear cog is going to be toast far sooner.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-02-22 at 08:07 PM.