Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nexus IGH grease: info requested

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-08-22, 08:52 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts

Hello

Need some info about Nexus IGH grease Y04120800

1. What is the NLGI grade?
2. Base oil: what is kinematic viscosity at 40c and 100c? Viscosity index?
3. Is the base oil mineral or synthetic?

Thanks

Last edited by anga; 09-12-22 at 03:14 AM. Reason: added 3
Old 09-09-22, 09:57 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by anga
Hello

Thanks
There's this thing called Google where you can look up things like NLGI grade. In general you are over thinking this. For non-critical uses like bikes, standard greases and oils work just fine.
Old 09-09-22, 10:07 AM
anga

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
There's this thing called Google where you can look up things like NLGI grade. In general you are over thinking this. For non-critical uses like bikes, standard greases and oils work just fine.
I am aware of Google and posted here after searching extensively on Google.
Feel free to demonstrate your mastery of Google by posting your search results here and the search techniques you used to obtain the same.
Old 09-09-22, 10:20 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
The thing with IGH's is the grease can not be too slick or adhere to well, else the roller clutches that engage the gear train to the hub shell will slip excessively &/or inconsistently.

Internal gear hubs are one case where it is probably best to use the specific grease recommended.

-------------------------------

OP:
I don't remember the exact grease recommended. I do however have a faint recollection of lithium grease for roller bearings inside the internal assembly. Phil's Tenacious applied liberally, & the end cap packed with Park Tool green (marine) grease to hold the oil in. Whether or not any of that is correct or even recommended is anybody's guess. So don't do it (or anything) based on anything from my foggy brain.
Likes For base2:
Old 09-11-22, 04:32 AM
anga

Originally Posted by base2
OP:
I don't remember the exact grease recommended. I do however have a faint recollection of lithium grease for roller bearings inside the internal assembly. Phil's Tenacious applied liberally, & the end cap packed with Park Tool green (marine) grease to hold the oil in. Whether or not any of that is correct or even recommended is anybody's guess. So don't do it (or anything) based on anything from my foggy brain.
It is water-resistant grease + tacky oil. Yet another adhoc solution with no proof.
Shimano IGH grease + dipping oil unavailable.
Searching for equivalent alternatives. Hence my request.
Old 09-11-22, 04:28 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Shimano IGH grease + dipping oil unavailable.
Searching for equivalent alternatives. Hence my request.
For many years I've been using "official" Nexus grease (LIKE THIS) on the bearings in a couple Nexus 8-speed hubs, and dipping the gear clusters in a synthetic gear oil (THIS ONE).
I use the same Royal Purple oil in an Alfine 11-speed hub that has almost 11,000 miles on it; this oil is much less expensive than the "official" Shimano oil.
One of my 8-speed Nexus hubs was lubricated with a black grease resembling a molybdenum disulfide type grease; the other one had a white grease that looked like a lithium type. I've used the moly grease on both of them.
Hope this helps.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 09-12-22, 06:22 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
The OP's question has been asked before over the years and I've never seen it answered.

Big boo on Shimano for not stating a commercial equivalent to their IGH grease & oil.

Others have used NLGI #2. Shimano Internal Gear Hub Service

Chapeau to Sturmey-Archer who sells their own proprietary lubricants but stated back in the stone age that 20wt motor oil was good for their oiled hubs and published in 1984 that they used NLGI #00 semi-fluid grease inside their greased hubs.

I use John Deere Cotton Picker Spindle NLGI #00 inside my Sturmeys with Sta-Lube marine NLGI #2 for the bearings and labyrinth seals.
Likes For tcs:
Old 11-18-23, 05:11 AM
baggewagge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Might be a bit late since OP likely found info elsewhere. But for others who are interested some of the info cen be found in Shimano's publicly available SDS

The white IGH grease version Y04120800
  • Mineral oil
  • Bentonite Clay thickened
  • White solid lubricant (confidential)
  • Other additives
The black IGH grease version Y04130100
  • Mineral oil
  • Graphite solid lubricant
  • Other additives
The greases is therefore not a white lithium grease.
Likes For baggewagge:
Old 11-19-23, 02:31 PM
ign1te

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Hello

3. Is the base oil mineral or synthetic?

Thanks
Are you attempt to perform some kind of task based on that information? If so what task?
Old 11-21-23, 05:15 AM
anga

Originally Posted by ign1te
Are you attempt to perform some kind of task based on that information? If so what task?
Lubricate the hub!
Old 11-22-23, 02:14 PM
ign1te

Lubricate the hub!
Shimanos own grease is a scam. Dunk everything in gear oil and then lubricate gears with a light graphite grease. Coaster brake needs separate grease, any NGLI 0 will do.
Old 11-22-23, 02:46 PM
baggewagge

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Shimanos own grease is a scam. Dunk everything in gear oil and then lubricate gears with a light graphite grease. Coaster brake needs separate grease, any NGLI 0 will do.
If you ride in colder climates with lots of downfall like Northern Europe you really need the appropriate grease. Or the pawls will stick and gum up due to using a soap thickened grease.
Shimanos grease is for the whole hub brake included. Shimano do recommended their oil bath + ggrease on the gear teeth as maintenance. THe coaster brake needs a grease with a high temp compatible thickener which is why the clay thickened shimano HUB grease is uitable. But mixing incompatible greases can lead to issues.
Old 11-22-23, 03:44 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by baggewagge
Might be a bit late since OP likely found info elsewhere. But for others who are interested some of the info cen be found in Shimano's publicly available SDS

The white IGH grease version Y04120800
  • Mineral oil
  • White solid lubricant (confidential)
  • Other additives
The black IGH grease version Y04130100
  • Mineral oil
  • Graphite solid lubricant
  • Other additives
The greases is therefore not a white lithium grease.
I would "guestimate" the hardness to be at about NLGI #0
Old 11-23-23, 12:17 AM
baggewagge

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
I would "guestimate" the hardness to be at about NLGI #0
Seams reasonable. It is rare though that the NLGI grade is sufficient for selecting a grease. I have been experimenting with relativery thin full synthetic gearoil (and ATF oil) similar to the official shimano mineral oil maintenance set mixed with a bit of the Shimano IGH grease. And then with synthtetic calcium sulfonate-complex grease for the bearings and coaster brake. Provides a litte more drag on the bigger righ-hand side bearing. But seems to work fine in temperatures down to -15 and up to +25 celcius and with heavy rainfall. With the added benefit of the increased wather protection..
Likes For baggewagge:
Old 11-23-23, 03:28 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Seams reasonable. It is rare though that the NLGI grade is sufficient for selecting a grease. I have been experimenting with relativery thin full synthetic gearoil (and ATF oil) similar to the official shimano mineral oil maintenance set mixed with a bit of the Shimano IGH grease. And then with synthtetic calcium sulfonate-complex grease for the bearings and coaster brake. Provides a litte more drag on the bigger righ-hand side bearing. But seems to work fine in temperatures down to -15 and up to +25 celcius and with heavy rainfall. With the added benefit of the increased wather protection..
This is for Rohloff, but you just might find it interesting:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/foru...1&nested=0&v=M

Relja OurWhiskeyIsBetterThanTheOriginal Novović
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 11-23-23, 08:23 AM
ign1te

If you ride in colder climates with lots of downfall like Northern Europe you really need the appropriate grease. Or the pawls will stick and gum up due to using a soap thickened grease.
Shimanos grease is for the whole hub brake included. Shimano do recommended their oil bath + ggrease on the gear teeth as maintenance. THe coaster brake needs a grease with a high temp compatible thickener which is why the clay thickened shimano HUB grease is uitable. But mixing incompatible greases can lead to issues.
Do you actually ride these hubs? To me it seems like you are just babbling. I live in Sweden and experiece 0 issue.
Old 11-25-23, 05:55 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
FWIW, I disassembled my Nexus 8 at about 6000km, drilled and tapped the body for a 4mm screw and used 15ml of ATF from then on. 10 years and 52000km later, it still works flawlessly. Had to adjust the cones once. Used with care and never below 0C though.
Old 11-26-23, 07:31 AM
baggewagge

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Do you actually ride these hubs? To me it seems like you are just babbling. I live in Sweden and experiece 0 issue.
Yes - I do - Denmark and Norway. 6 Different 7 speed and 8-speed hubs. in rain - Most days a year with bikes always outside. My last / speed IGH lastes for more that 8.000 km before the axle was too worn to rebuild.

But just like your experience it is just anecdotal
Likes For baggewagge:
Old 11-26-23, 04:11 PM
ign1te

Yes - I do - Denmark and Norway. 6 Different 7 speed and 8-speed hubs. in rain - Most days a year with bikes always outside. My last / speed IGH lastes for more that 8.000 km before the axle was too worn to rebuild.

But just like your experience it is just anecdotal
What products do you use? Mine are as follows:

1 Mobil Gear Oil FE 75W

Immerse all internal parts. Let excess drain.

2 SWEDOL Graphite grease
https://www.swedol.se/swedol-grafitfett-pg-1004863.html

Apply to all gear assemblies.

3 STARTA NLGI 0 grease
https://startaprodukter.se/produkt/s...lfett-bio-tub/

Apply to coaster brake shoes/rollers/hub area.
Old 11-26-23, 05:25 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Used with care and never below 0C though.
I have a Nexus 8 that gets its innards dipped in gear oil once a year and used through the winter in Chicago temps as low as -30C. It's got about 16,000 kilometers on it. I've yet to see any evidence of wear on any gears or bearing races. I guess the only extra care I give it is not shifting under load. A very durable hub, IMO.
Old 11-28-23, 03:50 PM
ign1te

Originally Posted by sweeks
I have a Nexus 8 that gets its innards dipped in gear oil once a year and used through the winter in Chicago temps as low as -30C. It's got about 16,000 kilometers on it. I've yet to see any evidence of wear on any gears or bearing races. I guess the only extra care I give it is not shifting under load. A very durable hub, IMO.
Probably the ideal way to do it, given that you have the ability to redo it every year.