Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seeking recommendation for the right type of rear derailleur guard

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-22, 07:15 AM
Myron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Seeking assistance of where to find the right type of derailleur hanger.

I am aware that the derailleur hanger is designed to bend or snap to protect the frame. What I'm trying to achieve is to prevent me having a cycle coming back to me with a repetitively bent rear derailleur hanger or bent-out-of-shape rear mech from a child within the family.
What I'm not sure about if what style (if "style" is the right description) of rear derailleur to get for the bike frame shown.

What it's going to have to fit too is shown below . . . .

To me the common two styles I can find are shown shown below ....

Does anyone know where I could obtain a derailleur guard that will correctly fit the frame?
Old 08-21-22, 07:47 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
You do not really need one unless you drop your bike or crash a lot. I am 73 years old and have yet to need one. Roger
Old 08-21-22, 07:51 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Roger, the OP mentions that it's a bike ridden by a child.
Old 08-21-22, 08:08 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
I just typed "derailleur guard" into a sort engine & Amazon was the first result with numerous sellers selling singles & pairs of various styles for under $10

Any Local Bike Shop (LBS) similarly could order what you need but they've gotta make a dollar too & you'll be on the hook for freight as well.

Have you tried your local Co-Op? They probably have a coffee can on a shelf with derailleur guards rescued from parted out kids bikes.

New derailleur hangers can be had at derailleurhanger.com for between $20-$40 each.

-----------------------------

I know it's not what you asked:
Now would be a good time to counsel the child about respect & care for gifts given & respect for a delicate things.

If it were me, I'd have the child buy the replacement parts with his/her own money.

I've had my child buy his own stolen $100 lights, broken forks, busted brakes, & skidded through tires. I even had him pay for his own powder coating when his frame was too scratched up & ugly.

He's 21 now & didn't die from being responsible for the consequences of his own actions.
Likes For base2:
Old 08-21-22, 09:31 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
The guard does not have to conform perfectly to the shape of the derailleur, it just has to stick out further than the derailleur; the one on the yellow frame photo looks liked it will protect the derailleur pretty well.
Old 08-21-22, 10:52 AM
Myron

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhenning
You do not really need one unless you drop your bike or crash a lot. I am 73 years old and have yet to need one. Roger
Ridden by a child. You'll see from the photos I've attached that the derailleur had took a hard hit from the scuff marks and the photo looking down at the hanger and mech, it's possible to see that there is a substantial bend in the hanger. Also, there is excessive play in the mech's moving parts. That's not going to to be re-indexed. I hope he looks after his new cycle better than he has looked after his old one. Yes. Lots of rust on the old cycle. :-(

In the above picture, the cog the chain is sat on is the highest gear that can be selected. That's now much the mech and hanger is damaged and the reason I'm after fitting a derailleur guard on the new bike, but the design of that part of the frame is giving me a headache selecting a guard that will correctly fit.
Old 08-22-22, 06:54 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I can't control a child doing non smart things but a derailleur guard will not prevent that from happening. Roger
Old 08-22-22, 10:15 AM
necx

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice