Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Need some help deciding

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Need some help deciding

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 07:38 PM
donm1967

Bikes: 2009 Quick 4; 2021 Giant Defy Adv 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Need some help deciding

Hi All-
After riding my Schwinn Cross-cut for 19 years it's finally time for a new bike. I'd like to stay in the $600-$800 range. I prefer a flat bar vs. comfort-type bar. My riding is a 60/40 mix between pavement and limestone, <100 miles per week. I'm about 5'11", 32" inseam, long arms.

I thought the GT Transeo looked good so I tried one today. On the large size I was barely scraping the frame when I stood over it so I tried the medium frame. Seemed too small for my liking, plus the handlebar seemed narrower than what I'm used to (may all flat-bars are like this and I need to get used to it?). Are there certain models that have a longer seat - bar distance?

Other bikes I'm considering is the 7.3 FX or Sirrus Sport. I also heard the Cannondale quick 4 is good.

A few questions about components: I thought I should upgrade to Shimano Deore, but one shop told me that they are difficult to keep adjusted and I'd be better off with the lower end. Is this true? Also, not sure I like front suspension. I know the Quick 4 has a carbon fork. Any issue with possible damage when riding on trails?
Also, when riding on pavement will I notice a big difference between 700x32 vs 700x35 tires? I'm not trying to win any races or keep up with the roadies, but I do like to ride fast.

Other than the brands I mentioned, anything else I should consider?
Anything I need to be aware of switching from a steel frame to aluminum?

Thanks, Don
Old 05-25-10, 05:00 AM
snafu21

Bikes: None.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
" I thought I should upgrade to Shimano Deore, but one shop told me that they are difficult to keep adjusted"

One bike shop I used told me "folding bikes were only for shopping." I have alloy forks on my hybrid. They are stiff, and riding on dirt paths, with stones and tree roots, is like having burning metal rods pushed up through the posterior after a couple of hours. Most suspension forks can be locked out. They add weight, but they smooth the ride. The other 'cheeky' option is fatter comfort tyres like Schwalbe Big Apples. If you like fast road bikes, fat tyres are a drag. Suspension seat posts can help.

Components: one strategy is to buy the bike you want and upgrade the components as they wear, or the fancy takes you. I''ve just put Deore brakes on my bike as an upgrade, they don't stop any better than the cheapies that were on there, but they have 'Deore' written on them, so they are obviously 'better'. But they are heavier than the brakes that came off. You want disks later, get a frame and forks when you buy with the brackets on, then you have a choice.

Narrow flat handlebars are the 21st century fashion for city bikes, taken from the sawn-offs of the bike messenger community. Bars and stems are a personal choice, but the more adjustment you have, the less likely you are to want to change them. MTB riser bars and adjustable stems are useful, if the flat bars prove irksome, as mine did.

Alloy frames v steel frames: so what? you might notice a slighty harsher ride on skinny tyres. The old adage that you could fix steel frames if they broke went out with coaster brakes. There's usually little weight advantage in alloy, but I prefer the lack of rust. Your choice. Carbon forks offroad? Not for me, alloy is harsh enough.

5'11"" puts you on the 'large' side of 'medium' for bike sizes. But some makes are a little smaller than others. I have a 'large' Scott, and it's just slightly too 'large'. I got a shorter stem and some MTB riser bars, to bring the bars closer, now it's a perfect fit.

The fast road hybrids like the Scott Subs and so on are just that, alloy frames, light wheelsets, carbon or alloy forks. Stiff and a little harsh off tarmac. Well, mine is, but that's ok. Narrow city tyres like Conti-sport-Contacts are fast and at 85psi, hard. A neat option is a second set of cheap wheels with fatties on for dirt, as long as the frame has enough clearance.

Most bikes have the same frame at the bottom of the range as at the top. It's your choice whether you want disk brakes or V brakes, Shimano or S-Ram, etc or lighter more expensive wheels. I've always bought at the bottom of the range, it's the engine that drives the bike, not the ego. :-) In city riding, you're only as fast as the next set of lights. If you keep the bike for fifteen years, like my last one, there's plenty of time for stuff to wear out and be upgraded.

Last edited by snafu21; 05-25-10 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-25-10, 06:18 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
And, Deore derailleurs are definitely not difficult to keep in adjustment, if you ever even have to readjust them...... that guy should have his head examined before he opens his mouth again - nothing could be further from the truth.

Buy the one that fits you the best, and is the most comfortable to ride. If you can standover the bike, and still get the front tire off the ground by an inch or two, it will be fine.

The FX and Sirrus lines are all nice bikes. As are offerings by many others. Aluminum is fine. Both the Sirrus and the FX will accept racks and fenders. I like Planet Bike Hardcore Hybrid Fenders, for ease of mounting, no rattles, light, good clearance, and secure and stable mounting. They will do fine with those sized tires. Fenders will keep you and the bike much cleaner

There will not be much difference in speed of the 32s vs 35s, but the 35s will ride a tiny little bit better. 32s will make it slightly easier to mount fenders with good coverage, but 35s are fine in this respect too. Keep those tires pumped up, regularly, and they will reward you with decent speed and handling. Both will do fine on lime and pavement, but the 35s will be a tad better if the lime is soft and wet. Not much, but a little.

Last edited by Wanderer; 05-25-10 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-25-10, 08:19 AM
donm1967

Bikes: 2009 Quick 4; 2021 Giant Defy Adv 2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I measured the stand-over of my current bike last night and it is taller than the specs on the Transeo large, so I may go back and try it again. I guess I'm used to the top bar being a little tight so the large might be OK. BTW I was looking at the 2.0 with disc brakes which they had at a sale price of $560. I'll need to go to a diferent shop to try the Sirrus, but most places I called about Specialized or Trek did not offer any sales/discount on those brands.
don
Old 05-25-10, 03:02 PM
mikeschn

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Take a Crosstrail for a spin and see if you like the fit.

I really like my Crosstrail, and I know there are others here that do too!

And as you can see, the prices are not that bad.

2010 Crosstrail Models MSRP

Crosstrail Comp $1050
Crosstrail Elite $720
Crosstrail Sport $580
CrossTrail $440

Mikey