Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

This sub forum...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

This sub forum...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 11:52 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The Living Car Free forum is nice. But I think a lot of them are actually homeless.
Old 02-02-08, 01:03 AM
Suttree
some new kind of kick

Bikes: SOMA Rush, Miyata 912, Kogswell Mod. G, want a porteur bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sp00ki
So out of boredom, i spent ten minutes or so at the tandem forum, then came back here.
Comparitively, it feels like a warm, peaceful, happy library in there.

This is all.
Dude--I agree. People in bfssfg are often weird. They revel in stomping on others.
One time when I was musing I tried to quantify the reason people are so weird.
I came up with this. The cachet of fg culture is theoretically limited--if cachet is what you are
after it is sort of inherently limited. So given that there is a finite amount of cachet to be milked out
this whole thing the only way to harvest a decent share is to try to drive others away or at least convince yourself that they are doing it wrong and thus aren't sharing in the spoils. Granted there are times when someone is obviously trying to tap in on the cred and then realizes they don't have all the cohones they thought they rolled in with. The flame war about six months ago over the fillet brazed Bridgestone and the need to get a drilled fork was a case in point.

C = N/x where c = individual share of cachet, N is a finite quantity of cachet for the whole
of fg riders, and x is the number of
fg riders. This is how some people think about it--which causes them to lash out
and treat other people as if they weren't part of the clique, thus reducing the variable x.

Boolsheet. People have been doing this since there were bikes with chains.

I'm thinking about building a porteur bike and riding fixed only on rollers to stay in shape.

Last edited by Suttree; 02-02-08 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-02-08, 01:39 AM
kjohnnytarr
Instigator at best

Bikes: Motobecane Jury

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCjolsen
The Living Car Free forum is nice. But I think a lot of them are actually homeless.
I don't know about homeless, but it's certainly a bunch of eccentric folks. Not saying that's a bad thing; it's my fave forum. I'm surprised more folks don't post there, since it's such a cultural/lifestyle oriented forum.
Old 02-02-08, 02:32 AM
jotog
Ride simple.

Bikes: vitus 979, g fisher, specialized, trek, bridgestone rb1, Trek SS, Hiawatha SS, 54' Schwinn SS, Trek SS CX conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, kids, our forum rules! Our work here is done. And I, too, love absolutely everyone in this forum. This is my safe haven, even when we're raping.
Old 02-02-08, 03:54 AM
ryansexton
ALL PARTY

Bikes: Douglas Touring Cross Wise, Urbanite Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tattoo Art Chick - I would do you.
Old 02-02-08, 09:22 AM
geoGraphicFTD
double diamond tram girl

Bikes: surly cross-check, cannondale CAAD8 optimo 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go to A&S. I wouldn't say they're mean, but damn do they have the longest most drawn out arguments. 10 paragraph posts about bike lanes versus "vehicular cycling." blahhhhh
Old 02-03-08, 01:44 AM
no.cages
i smell funny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dayvan cowboy

that being said, i'd hit that.
Old 02-03-08, 09:15 AM
VeganRider
Just Do It !

Bikes: Litespeed Ti, Trek Carbon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansexton
I consider bike riding a sport. There is no win or lose, but it is still a sport. If I practice hockey by myself in my backyard, is that sport or is it hobby? I say the former.
But what if you dont own a car and your bike is your only means of personal transportation?
Old 02-03-08, 09:21 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by VeganRider
But what if you don't own a car and your bike is your only means of personal transportation?
I was going to reply to this, but since this is the first time I am writing in a form in Firefox since the last shut-down, I now notice that the built-in spell checker finally WORKS!!!

Check my post: no misspellings, *****es!
Old 02-03-08, 09:22 AM
gargiulo.mike
skinning up

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansexton
Tattoo Art Chick - I would do you.
man i need to find a trust fund art school chick who wants to be a painter whos willing to exploit me. i'd be pretty happy.
Old 02-03-08, 09:23 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Originally Posted by kaiju-velo
Dude--I agree. People in bfssfg are often weird. They revel in stomping on others.
One time when I was musing I tried to quantify the reason people are so weird.
I came up with this. The cachet of fg culture is theoretically limited--if cachet is what you are
after it is sort of inherently limited. So given that there is a finite amount of cachet to be milked out
this whole thing the only way to harvest a decent share is to try to drive others away or at least convince yourself that they are doing it wrong and thus aren't sharing in the spoils. Granted there are times when someone is obviously trying to tap in on the cred and then realizes they don't have all the cohones they thought they rolled in with. The flame war about six months ago over the fillet brazed Bridgestone and the need to get a drilled fork was a case in point.

C = N/x where c = individual share of cachet, N is a finite quantity of cachet for the whole
of fg riders, and x is the number of
fg riders. This is how some people think about it--which causes them to lash out
and treat other people as if they weren't part of the clique, thus reducing the variable x.

Boolsheet. People have been doing this since there were bikes with chains.

I'm thinking about building a porteur bike and riding fixed only on rollers to stay in shape.
I guess that would apply to FG people only, right? We singlespeed guys (according to the logic you presented here) are expected to be mellow and loving, yes?
Old 02-03-08, 11:44 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's funny how every BF subforum has it's own eternal question.

SSFFG "Will I look like a poser if I have a Chrome messenger bag but ride an old Peugot with a suicide hub."

Roadie - "Where can I get a good wheelset for under $5000?"

Commuter "What's the best tailight system to use when it's -30F with 100mph winds?"

A & S - "In order to assert my rights as a vehicular cyclist, should I take the fast lane or one of the slower ones when I ride on the freeway? Also, I'd like to use a helmet cam to catch speeding drivers. Any recommendations?"

Living Car Free "I just got a new job hauling cement for a local contractor. What rack should I get?"

Bicycle Mechanics "I'm new to biking and I just have this question. The front wheel fell off of my Magna. The funny thing is the part of the fork is still stuck to it. What should I do. Any help would be appreciated."

Cyclocross "I want to get a Surly Crosscheck and use it for commuting. Is the the right place?"
Old 02-03-08, 11:58 AM
Suttree
some new kind of kick

Bikes: SOMA Rush, Miyata 912, Kogswell Mod. G, want a porteur bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
I guess that would apply to FG people only, right? We singlespeed guys (according to the logic you presented here) are expected to be mellow and loving, yes?
Well not necessarily. But the ss thing doesn't seem to have the chicanery of fg.
Old 02-03-08, 12:16 PM
robcycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
Funny thought.

Any single speeders I have know (off road) were pretty laid back and chill. "We'll get there when we get there." That is not to say that they don't care about ripping up the next hill, but most know that they will not conquer all, so there is an inherent humility in single speeding.

That, or they're all stoned

-Rob.
Old 02-03-08, 12:22 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Originally Posted by robcycle
Funny thought.

Any single speeders I have know (off road) were pretty laid back and chill. "We'll get there when we get there." That is not to say that they don't care about ripping up the next hill, but most know that they will not conquer all, so there is an inherent humility in single speeding.
We singlespeed people are really sweet, I'm so proud.
Old 02-03-08, 12:58 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
i'm here for sewing tips
Old 02-03-08, 03:37 PM
diff_lock2
Senior_Member2

Bikes: Beater + Nishiki Bigfoot X-29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SSFFG "Will I look like a poser if I have a Chrome messenger bag but ride an old Peugot with a suicide hub."

Commuter "What's the best tailight system to use when it's -30F with 100mph winds?"

A & S - "In order to assert my rights as a vehicular cyclist, should I take the fast lane or one of the slower ones when I ride on the freeway? Also, I'd like to use a helmet cam to catch speeding drivers. Any recommendations?"

Living Car Free "I just got a new job hauling cement for a local contractor. What rack should I get?"

Bicycle Mechanics "I'm new to biking and I just have this question. The front wheel fell off of my Magna. The funny thing is the part of the fork is still stuck to it. What should I do. Any help would be appreciated."

Cyclocross "I want to get a Surly Crosscheck and use it for commuting. Is the the right place?"
Perfect.

Also there is the electric bikes, and electronics sub forums.

Latley the alt bike forum too! Who dosen't know hotebike's fiberglass creations?
Old 02-03-08, 03:56 PM
*new*guy
ambassador of good will

Bikes: many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there are some great posters on this board. botto should post in here more often than he does.
Old 02-03-08, 10:26 PM
MrCjolsen

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by diff_lock2
Perfect.

Also there is the electric bikes, and electronics sub forums.

Latley the alt bike forum too! Who dosen't know hotebike's fiberglass creations?
Electronics, Lighting and Gadgets - Do you think an aircraft landing light over-volted by 10% would provide enough lumens and would a 3ahr lead acid battery be enough for it?
Old 02-03-08, 11:23 PM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

This needs to be a welcome sticky on the main page.
Old 02-04-08, 12:05 AM
cosmo starr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is good....
Old 02-04-08, 02:42 AM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Props to MrCJolsen
Old 02-04-08, 10:22 AM
J A Holman
Boooga BOO

Bikes: Colnago for road, Fuji for track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol it is true, cheap Chrome bags are truly the choice of posers everywhere, some don't even HAVE bikes, but they have a chrome bag
Old 02-04-08, 04:31 PM
roadgator
raodmaster shaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MIN
Your misuse of the word is ironic.
you can be educated, professional, and still be ignorant.
Old 02-04-08, 04:37 PM
raster
Heck yes.

Bikes: Saint Tropez, Shogun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by delicious
who wants to drive by the other forums and yell cusses at them cus i'm going man.
new sig oh yeah.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.