Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question for those that ride no-handed

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Question for those that ride no-handed

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 11:33 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can't remember the last time I tried to ride no hands without clipless pedals, but I suppose it's probably a little easier with them because your feet won't slide when you're shifting your weight around.

Way back when I was an exchange student in Germany I once rode no hands all the way home from the University to the Studentensiedlung (I think about 3 miles), including through the crowded streetcar stop over the main train station. I didn't touch the bars until the last 5 feet or so when I was rolling into the bike racks. This was on a beater 3 speed crummy euro commuter bike with rubber platform pedals that was probably so stable it could have done the whole ride without a rider.
Old 08-18-08, 11:51 PM
ultraman6970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
NO problems over here even using my hybrid and pulling my kid charriot.

Probably is a thing of the bike too, with the bikes i had i'm able to ride no hands even in nasty roads. I have a friend with a giant aluminum one and she was not able to get the control i have with no hands. She was able to do it in the 20 inches bike that her kid had. Weird.
Old 08-19-08, 12:41 AM
cwilliams
I love my bike

Bikes: 09 Orbea Onix TDA in white, Trek 4300

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
I've been doing it since I was a kid. Never noticed a difference with or without clipless.
Same! I used to have fun and see if I could ride around the block (4 left turns and probably a half mile or so) without once touching my handlebars. I successfully did it a few times as I can recall. I actually find it a bit easier with clipless pedals vs platforms.
Old 08-19-08, 12:49 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Riding slow, no-handed, is harder for me than going fast - with or without cleats. I should experiment with this tomorrow. I suspect that it was the slow speed, rather than the no cleats, that was the difference. Usually steering with no hands is done with the hips through the saddle horn.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 08-19-08, 12:56 AM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
So the question is, do you notice any difference riding no-handed with your feet retained (via clipless pedals, toe-clips, glue, magnets, whatever) vs not? I ride hands-free all the time, sometimes as much as 20 minutes at a time if I'm cruisin', but I noticed last week when I was riding with regular shoes on my speedplays that it was a little harder to balance/control without the positive retention the cleats gave. It turns out I normally use pressure on the pedals to regulate my balance and I couldn't do that without being clipped in. Also I believe that the smoothness of the pedalstroke affects my ability to balance and without being clipped in my stroke was not as smooth. So what are your experiences?
Mmmm, to be honest, I experience little/no difference in riding no-handed with or without a clipless setup. I'm not sure what methods I learned to do this, but perhaps it's because I developed a very smooth pedal stroke through a few years of riding on a fixed set up (averaging 200-300 miles/week on a fixed, riding in traffic, up hills, everywhere in Los Angeles). I'd ride a good 40% of the time no-hands. When I went clipless, it continued. The fixed currently remains without a clipless set up, and frankly, quite crappy pedals that aren't very good to grip on. I typically wear soft-soled shoes when riding around on the fixed, which remains at a good 50-75 miles/week avg. The pedal stroke remains smooth.... and maybe that learned technique has transfered over to my road setup(s) with the clipless system.

Oh, and point of reference now: I can usually do no-hands comfortably (with turns, up hills...everything but a steep downhill) for around 30 minute straight at this point.*** No exaggeration.

Perhaps that helps?

***edit: unfortunately, if I don't hit a rhythm with the traffic lights, the frequent reds mixed with jittery drivers means I have to put my hands on the bars more often.
Old 08-19-08, 01:17 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I did a little experiment this morning. I rode my Shimano flip-flop pedals that have a platform on one side and SPD on the other. The toothy platform gives very good traction for my running shoes, and I had no trouble riding no-handed. When I used the SPD side, my shoes were only contacting the small SPD clip, and, though it wasn't 'hard', I could tell that I had to pay a little more attention to keeping my feet on, for what it's worth. I'll try again with my other shoes, which have a harder sole and won't grip the SPD side nearly as well.

From a physical standpoint, it makes sense that less pedal traction makes it more difficult, since that's what gives you leverage w.r.t. your ass on the saddle. Given all the other variables, it would be hard to quantify it.
Old 08-19-08, 01:54 AM
04jtb

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Let me preface this by saying not to bother responding to this unless you can actually ride with no hands. For more than a few seconds.

So the question is, do you notice any difference riding no-handed with your feet retained (via clipless pedals, toe-clips, glue, magnets, whatever) vs not? I ride hands-free all the time, sometimes as much as 20 minutes at a time if I'm cruisin', but I noticed last week when I was riding with regular shoes on my speedplays that it was a little harder to balance/control without the positive retention the cleats gave. It turns out I normally use pressure on the pedals to regulate my balance and I couldn't do that without being clipped in. Also I believe that the smoothness of the pedalstroke affects my ability to balance and without being clipped in my stroke was not as smooth. So what are your experiences?
Never given this any thought before, but thinking about it I agree with you, can do it for miles with foot retention, but its harder to control without.
i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/
Old 08-19-08, 02:40 AM
qwer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_6lSLuwU6Q

Old 08-19-08, 02:49 AM
rizz
I'm that guy that I am.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
His handlebars never moved the entire time. Neat trick.
Old 08-19-08, 04:51 AM
ehidle
T-Shirt Guy

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Team Issue, 2007 Fuji SL-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds about right... I can't ride no-handed that often (it's always windy enough to make 50mm rims a bit dangerous to ride no-handed) but yeah, it helps to be able to regulate torque through the backstroke to stay straight and level..

Get your Cranky T-Shirt!
Men's
and Women's designs available
Old 08-19-08, 05:20 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
no hands?

not sure, but i can ride my bike with no handlebars, no handlebars.

later.
Old 08-19-08, 05:23 AM
Dice
Student

Bikes: Opus Alto 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to ride to my Dojo, and when my lesson got out (10P.M.) I would have a nice well light street with no traffic to practicing riding no hands with. Eventually I got to the point where I could do the whole route from the Dojo to my house (5k) easily, than I tried it with clips and felt like my balance was off... thought it was only me though. I think it's cause you have to factor in pushing down and up. It's definitely doable, but I prefer riding no hands with no clips.
Old 08-19-08, 05:28 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,603 Times in 3,467 Posts
Originally Posted by thebarerider
Arm chair psychology is all I'm good at. Don't take that away from me.
You think that was good?

Old 08-19-08, 08:39 AM
Coyote2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Let me preface this by saying not to bother responding to this unless you can actually ride with no hands. For more than a few seconds.

My experience is exactly the same as yours. This was driven home a few days ago while riding my beach cruiser for some errands. While riding along no-hands, with platform pedals, I hit a big bump which caused my feet to slip on the pedals -- one foot came right off the pedal -- and I realized just how much of a role the pedals play in my balance. Clipped into my road bike pedals I can practically ride over curbs without my hands on the bar.
Old 08-19-08, 08:58 AM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aham23
no hands?

not sure, but i can ride my bike with no handlebars, no handlebars.

later.
Ha!

I both love and hate that song.

I think it's a speed thing. I can ride no-handed for a while and be comfortable to the point where I sort of forget that I am riding no handed. But I have to be going over a certain speed. I have no idea what that speed is.

Last edited by Cromulent; 08-19-08 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-19-08, 09:19 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by umd

Because of a foot injury...I am not riding clipped in this season. I ride no handed quite a bit and no problem providing I am riding at least 12 mph or so. I believe it has a bit to do with the angles of the bike. If the bike is real aggressive with steep angles, it is harder to balance. Some bikes are easier than others to ride no handed.

The other thing is...balancing on speedplays with tennis shoes is a far cry from riding a very large BMX pedal like I do. My set up is actually quite secure and can stand and mash out of the saddle without toe clips with little worry. Clipping in is best of course but the right platform pedal and shoe combo is pretty secure.
Old 08-19-08, 09:39 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
There are people that can't ride no hands ?!?

I go no hands all the time on road rides when eating.

For fun a friend and I used to ride around a little course of a 1/4 mile or so no-handed. The winner was the one who could ride the slowest without touching the bars.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 08-19-08 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-19-08, 09:43 AM
Dice
Student

Bikes: Opus Alto 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rizz
His handlebars never moved the entire time. Neat trick.
I can't even wheelie, that man is no hander god.
Old 08-19-08, 09:46 AM
Paul Y.

Bikes: 2008 Lynskey R220 2005 Lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
But I mainly just wanted to start a thread that wasn't rehashing the same stuff over and over
Wait a minute! Is this April 1?
Old 08-19-08, 10:39 AM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Y.
Wait a minute! Is this April 1?
No. So never ride no hands while listening to your iPod without a helmet. How you get a helmet on your iPod is up to you.
Old 08-19-08, 10:43 AM
Flak
Flatland hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steer with your thighs on the nose of the saddle and body weight. Pedals, clipped or not then becomes a non-issue.
Old 08-19-08, 10:44 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey, I didn't have my iPod... it was a social ride after all
Old 08-19-08, 10:46 AM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Hey, I didn't have my iPod... it was a social ride after all
Jimminy Crickets! Riding no hands in a group? I bet they yelled at you.
Old 08-19-08, 10:48 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by collegeskier
I want to say that was Robbie McEwen celebratory finish in last years Tour de France. I thought it was neat. Probably looks better when you are winning a stage of the Tour.
Everything looks better when you are winning a stage of the Tour.

To answer the OP: yes, I notice a difference. I also notice that it's easier on my fixed gear. That might have to do with the constant pedaling.
Old 08-19-08, 10:56 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
I believe it has a bit to do with the angles of the bike. If the bike is real aggressive with steep angles, it is harder to balance. Some bikes are easier than others to ride no handed.
https://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/trail.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.