Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any Gossip on New LeMond Bikes?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-04-20, 03:12 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts

About a year ago I was excited to see that LeMond was attempting to introduce a new line of bikes using some fancy new form of carbon. However, in looking at the web site recently it appears like nothing has changed in a long time and there isn't even a menu on the site showing the proposed bikes...

https://www.lemond.cc/

Are there any rumors... hopefully true rumors... about the state of these new LeMond bikes? Perhaps COVID put everything on hold? Or lack of funds put everything on hold?

The bike pages are still online, just not available via the home page:

https://www.lemond.cc/carbon-fiber-bicycles

So mysterious

Old 05-04-20, 03:22 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Doesn't look very promising. I think the picture they use gets blacker and blacker, as the chances fade of the project ever being completed.

I just don't know how excited I could get about yet another black CF road bike from China, if that's what they were planning on doing. The generic ones have gotten so cheap, what's the point? "Oh look, that one has Greg Lemond's name on it!"
Old 05-04-20, 03:47 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Doesn't look very promising. I think the picture they use gets blacker and blacker, as the chances fade of the project ever being completed.

I just don't know how excited I could get about yet another black CF road bike from China, if that's what they were planning on doing. The generic ones have gotten so cheap, what's the point? "Oh look, that one has Greg Lemond's name on it!"
I thought they were going to be made in Chattanooga, alongside Lynskey and Litespeed.

If not, there's definitely a problem of what they can bring to the table that others can't. Carbon is a game for the cheap OEMs and the companies that can throw heavy dev money into the layups. Not sure how much room there is for boutiques who don't offer something more than "another carbon frame".
Old 05-05-20, 07:48 AM
PoorInRichfield

I agree that if the only differentiator that the new LeMond bike company plans to have is the hope that people are willing to pay a lot because LeMond won 3 TdF's a few decades ago, I think the company will be doomed from the start. I've been around long enough to remember his TdF wins and that was one of the few times I actually got interested in watching pro cycling. But his triumphs don't translate to me buying his bicycles "just because".

Along those same lines, it baffles me how so many bicycle brands attempt to sell top-dollar bikes with little or no real reason for a consumer to buy their bikes. I suppose many bike companies operate like craft beer companies... they depend largely on the locals to support the brand(?)

I personally think that Trek should "kiss and make-up" with LeMond for the whole Armstrong fiasco and return to creating a bike line with LeMond's name on it again, but clearly Trek isn't having money issues and doesn't seem to need LeMond so I don't see that happening any time soon.
Old 05-05-20, 08:18 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Just based on the pic, it looks like it could be an interesting set of features: the dropped stays and internally wired cockpit implies aero, hydro brakes, looks like it'll at least clear 32s. 1x SRAM wouldn't be my first choice, but it looks like it could be a nice all-arounder.
Old 07-16-20, 11:47 AM
PoorInRichfield

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...aunch-imminent

Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 07-16-20, 11:50 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
About a year ago I was excited to see that LeMond was attempting to introduce a new line of bikes using some fancy new form of carbon. However, in looking at the web site recently it appears like nothing has changed in a long time and there isn't even a menu on the site showing the proposed bikes...

https://www.lemond.cc/

Are there any rumors... hopefully true rumors... about the state of these new LeMond bikes? Perhaps COVID put everything on hold? Or lack of funds put everything on hold?

The bike pages are still online, just not available via the home page:

https://www.lemond.cc/carbon-fiber-bicycles

So mysterious

I would guess that it's not going to happen. They must have a capital problem if they can't even pay their electric bill.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-16-20, 08:24 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
They say it doesn’t have the emotor of the Armstrong bike frame brand
Old 07-17-20, 05:04 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Vaporware, until I see otherwise.
Old 07-17-20, 05:28 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Never destroy the spirit of entrepreneurship.
Old 07-21-20, 12:13 AM
donaldglover

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cant wait to get them
Old 09-20-20, 11:01 AM
PoorInRichfield

Hmm... Finally some change in the LeMond bike world, but eBikes

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/lemon...-dutch-ebikes/

From a financial point of view, this probably makes sense as no company can exist w/o making some money, and e-bikes are hot right now (and probably have huge mark-ups). The e-bikes look pretty slick, but I was hoping for some super-cool road bikes. Oh well, maybe someday in the future...
Old 09-20-20, 12:50 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

And this is why I don't care until I see the product.
Old 09-20-20, 02:22 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/lemon...-dutch-ebikes/

From a financial point of view, this probably makes sense as no company can exist w/o making some money, and e-bikes are hot right now (and probably have huge mark-ups). The e-bikes look pretty slick, but I was hoping for some super-cool road bikes. Oh well, maybe someday in the future...
If that's it . . . what a let-down. That's almost as bad as Trek's "this will change the face of cycling forever" wave cell helmet campaign.
Likes For RNAV:
Old 09-20-20, 02:26 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985

It is rather easy to make a rather large improvement in carbon fiber bikes with hardly any increase in weight. I believe that Time bicycle is presently using it. You add Kevlar to the mix. The way that carbon fiber frames fail is that they will build up point stresses from poor quality control or manufacturing processes and then tear at that point since carbon fibers are short. If you add Kevlar material to the mixture they have much longer threads and it is far more difficult to focus point loads and cause failures. Another method is to add sheets of Graphene to the process, Graphene is incredibly strong for a material that is only one molecule thick and in terms of strength to weight is something like 18 times stronger than steel. But I haven't seen any papers addressing making graphene sheets in bulk or on any way of dealing with it if you could. Hence the graphene that is being used is usually the size of chips and is scattered about inside of a material with the hope that it improves things. I appears to make a small improvement but nothing like the potential.

Consider two ways of avoiding point stresses and failures. You could use the Trek and most other carbon fiber bikes these days with mechanical designs that spread the loads If you look at the design of the Trek Madone here https://enduroplanet.co.za/wp-conten...A_Primary.jpeg you can see that there are few sharp corners. This puts the mechanical loads over a wider area and lessens the chances of a point load failure. Another method is as Colnago does on their C64 https://www.coloradocyclist.com/coln...All%20Products they use extra material in the form of lugs which they assume ae enough to prevent failures. Trek with a lot of experience with their systems offers a limited lifetime warranty whereas Colnago with many years of experience with their system offers a 3 year limited warranty and when queried said that they didn't recommend anything over 2 years.

In any case, using the load spreading mechanical design and careful quality control, just plain carbon fiber construction can be safe for very long periods if you do not have hard collisions with anything. If you want to improve this to the point at which you are very likely to have a frameset as reliable as steel, there is already at least one technology and another closing in.
Old 09-20-20, 07:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
Wow those are 2 frames I never would have associated with LeMond.
Huh. Interesting decisions.
Old 09-21-20, 08:52 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,228 Posts
Not going to lie, I think the "Dutch" is pretty sweet.

I'm trying to like the "Daily" but it just makes me think of the Speedvagen Urban Racer, which is executed so well that the Lemond falls short to me.
Likes For abshipp: