Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Stimulus bikes?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Stimulus bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 01:31 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Stimulus bikes?

Most of us in the US will have $600 checks in the next month or two, with strict instructions from the government to spend the money on consumer goods in order to stimulate the economy.

Gee, it seems like a good time to buy a bike! What's the best way to spend $600 or so on a nice bicycle? Give us reasons for your choice. Links and pictures are nice also.

BTW, people with very low incomes and those on disability are only getting $300. Any suggestions for them?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-16-08, 01:42 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
It'll depend on what frame(s) I find either on eBay, Craigslist, or the local transfer station/yard sales. From that point on, it's whatever I've already got on the parts shelf.

$600 for my share? That better translate into three bikes if I'm going to spend it all on bikes. Nah, I'm a cheap *******. $400 of that will go into savings.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 04-16-08, 02:18 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
BTW, people with very low incomes and those on disability are only getting $300. Any suggestions for them?
I hadn't heard that lower income == lower gov't cashback. The last I heard was that the 'incentive' would be determined based off of your return information. Silly of me to think that lower returns should equate to a higher stimulus package, I suppose.

Anyhow, for any amount people are getting back, there's plenty of brand new bikes to be had with just a little bit of added cash above the minimum $300 stimulus level... the choices increase as you get toward that $600 level, if you're so inclined to go with a new bike.
You can scour CL for 5 minutes and probably find something just as well suited to the intended purpose for about 1/3 the price, unless you're looking for a fixed gear. People on CL are insane with the prices they want, even on suicide-conversion gaspipe frame beaters.
Old 04-16-08, 02:27 PM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My clothes washer broke, so I "pre-stimulated" the economy by buying a new one last week. Or so I thought, until I looked at the shipping carton.

MADE IN KOREA

Go Team Kim Chi !!!
Old 04-16-08, 02:37 PM
Torrilin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Novara Transfer comes in at $599. Needs panniers and a helmet. Gets rave reviews from a friend who just picked one up. He did note that the "automatic" light sensor isn't, since the lights won't turn on in fog or twilight. A bit of electrical tape fixed that detail. It's probably the cheapest and best equipped car free bike I've seen. No standlight on the lights, so battery backup is a Good Idea.

I haven't seen any new bikes under $300 that strike me as well suited to car free life. If it's under about $350-400, odds are it won't have a rack or fenders. Add on those, a cargo net, and decent lights and you're right back at the $350-450 price point... and the "cheap" bike will probably be heavier than the fully equipped one.

A trailer would be a good use of the bonus tho, especially for someone who already has a working bike. Some stuff just doesn't fit in panniers or on a standard rack. The trailer will take a *lot* of those kinds of things, so it really opens up a new world of moving stuff by bike. Since trailers come in at around $300 new, that is manageable for the small refund group, and leaves the large refund group with $300 to buy conveniences.
Old 04-16-08, 02:43 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Torrilin
The Novara Transfer comes in at $599. Needs panniers and a helmet. Gets rave reviews from a friend who just picked one up. He did note that the "automatic" light sensor isn't, since the lights won't turn on in fog or twilight. A bit of electrical tape fixed that detail. It's probably the cheapest and best equipped car free bike I've seen. No standlight on the lights, so battery backup is a Good Idea.

I haven't seen any new bikes under $300 that strike me as well suited to car free life. If it's under about $350-400, odds are it won't have a rack or fenders. Add on those, a cargo net, and decent lights and you're right back at the $350-450 price point... and the "cheap" bike will probably be heavier than the fully equipped one.

A trailer would be a good use of the bonus tho, especially for someone who already has a working bike. Some stuff just doesn't fit in panniers or on a standard rack. The trailer will take a *lot* of those kinds of things, so it really opens up a new world of moving stuff by bike. Since trailers come in at around $300 new, that is manageable for the small refund group, and leaves the large refund group with $300 to buy conveniences.
That Novaro's a good call!

Even with sales tax, it would only be a little over the $600 stimulus check. Actually, the only thing you "need" to get started is the bike. Extras like a rack and panniers can come later.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-16-08, 03:57 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Most of us in the US will have $600 checks in the next month or two, with strict instructions from the government to spend the money on consumer goods in order to stimulate the economy.

Gee, it seems like a good time to buy a bike! What's the best way to spend $600 or so on a nice bicycle? Give us reasons for your choice. Links and pictures are nice also.

Guilty as charged...

I kind of jumped the gun We got a quarterly bonus payout this week from the project I am working on

So off to the local bicycle emporium to purchase a suitable replacement for my aging Raleigh Sports (the ugly one) and to get something that fits a bit better. Basic requirements were IGH, fenders, rack(s) and upright riding position. I was really leaning towards a Breezer but can't find anybody with one in stock within a 12 hour drive of me. Toyed with a couple of other ideas but settled on a Redline R530 By the time I get all the upgrades and necessities I will have spent close to $900. But that includes some high dollar things like an LED generator powered light system with standlights, new Brooks B67, very nice Basil Panniers and a Euro style locking system, and last but not least a new Wald 933 basket.

Should have everything on hand by the end of next week!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-16-08, 04:13 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have been trying to find out how to opt out of this charade, so far without luck. Apparently I will have to go into an IRS local office, since there are no ways to do it over the web or by phone. Finding the time to get there is the hard part.

The way the economy is going, maybe I'll just buy a little gold.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-16-08, 04:38 PM
Torrilin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gold is running high. Buy an undervalued stock.
Old 04-16-08, 08:04 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
It'll depend on what frame(s) I find either on eBay, Craigslist, or the local transfer station/yard sales. From that point on, it's whatever I've already got on the parts shelf.

$600 for my share? That better translate into three bikes if I'm going to spend it all on bikes. Nah, I'm a cheap *******. $400 of that will go into savings.
Sounds like a good plan. I just invested in a rear derailleur and a new chain for my commuter. Also, recently spend $70 on new tires. The rest should go to savings.
Old 04-16-08, 08:37 PM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Give It Away

Originally Posted by Artkansas
I have been trying to find out how to opt out of this charade, so far without luck. Apparently I will have to go into an IRS local office, since there are no ways to do it over the web or by phone. Finding the time to get there is the hard part.

The way the economy is going, maybe I'll just buy a little gold.
If you don't accept it the government will spend it on something else. Give it to a charity that you support or buy goods with it and give them away. At least that way you know 100% of the money went to something you know does good.
Old 04-16-08, 09:01 PM
Highcyclist

Bikes: '07 Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New old stock of the often-recommended Jamis Coda Sport can be had for $500 https://bicyclebananas.com/mm5/mercha...amis_CodaSport
I'm not in the market for a bike, but if I had a $600 budget, I'd seriously consider it, and use the other $100 for accessories. Realistically, though, most people who need that money are probably going to spend it on rent, bills, and groceries.
Old 04-17-08, 03:00 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by Highcyclist
New old stock of the often-recommended Jamis Coda Sport can be had for $500 https://bicyclebananas.com/mm5/mercha...amis_CodaSport
I'm not in the market for a bike, but if I had a $600 budget, I'd seriously consider it, and use the other $100 for accessories. Realistically, though, most people who need that money are probably going to spend it on rent, bills, and groceries.
And I am sure gasoline...That check would only cover a month's worth of fuel for my truck.

Saw an interesting joke the other day about the stimulus checks. They pointed out that if you spent them on most consumer goods you would be supporting China, if you spent them on gasoline supporting the Middle East, spent it on produce supporting Mexico/Central America. If you really wanted to support America with your spending to go enjoy a lady of the night and have an Budweiser...only a couple of the things still truly made in a America

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 04-17-08, 07:41 AM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Saw an interesting joke the other day about the stimulus checks. They pointed out that if you spent them on most consumer goods you would be supporting China, if you spent them on gasoline supporting the Middle East, spent it on produce supporting Mexico/Central America. If you really wanted to support America with your spending to go enjoy a lady of the night and have an Budweiser...only a couple of the things still truly made in a America

Aaron
The hookers in DC aren't all made in America either. We got Asians, Europeans, South Americans. They don't all send money home to their families so I guess it would stimulate the local economy.
Old 04-17-08, 10:29 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well, I finally got to the IRS office. They said to VOID the check and send it back to the office that sent it to you with a note saying that you want it credited back to your account.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-17-08, 10:38 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
If you don't accept it the government will spend it on something else.
You realize that it's not a gift from the government. It's a rebate on your next year's taxes. The money you get comes out of your own pocket next year. Think of it as money traveling back in time, taken out of your pocket in 2009, put back in in 2008.

It's really a very cynical joke played on us by the Government. It may be a bump now, but it will be a trough next year.

Old 04-17-08, 11:34 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
If SS or fixie commuting is what you do, a Windsor The Hour/Messenger or Mercier KiloTT would run $300-350, allowing plenty for necessary extras like fenders, rack, lights, etc. $300 would also buy a decent 80s CL 10 or 12 sp or 90s hybrid with money left over for accessories as well.

I think we'll probably buy either guns or a chimney for a woodstove with our share.
Old 04-17-08, 12:03 PM
sirpoopalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You realize that it's not a gift from the government. It's a rebate on your next year's taxes. The money you get comes out of your own pocket next year. Think of it as money traveling back in time, taken out of your pocket in 2009, put back in in 2008.

It's really a very cynical joke played on us by the Government. It may be a bump now, but it will be a trough next year.
Incorrect. It is indeed a "gift".

From the link below: "It's an economic stimulus payment that more than 130 million households will receive starting in May. It's not taxable, and it won't reduce your 2007 or 2008 refund or increase the amount you owe when you file your 2008 return."

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...179211,00.html
Old 04-17-08, 12:37 PM
cosmo starr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
consumerism is a problem not a solution.....and, i really dont need anything right now, mostly just "fuel" for the bike.
Old 04-17-08, 12:44 PM
TuckertonRR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sirpoopalot

From the link below: "It's an economic stimulus payment that more than 130 million households will receive starting in May. It's not taxable, and it won't reduce your 2007 or 2008 refund or increase the amount you owe when you file your 2008 return."

Actually, you're correct. If you "voided" it, it would be credited as a $600 prepayment towards your 2008 taxes, and you would get just that much of a larger refund next year. I don't agree with Bushnomics, either, (issue huge amounts of debt bought by China, in order to fund silly crusading adventures in the middle east in order to gain control of more oil)

If you really wanted to hedge your bets, buy silver!!
https://www.silver-investor.com/
Old 04-17-08, 12:59 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Well, I went looking through documents, including the original bill. https://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...0facz3D:e1754: You are right that it comes from 2007, not 2008 as earlier reported on CNN.

Old 04-17-08, 01:13 PM
sirpoopalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TuckertonRR
Actually, you're correct. If you "voided" it, it would be credited as a $600 prepayment towards your 2008 taxes, and you would get just that much of a larger refund next year.
yup. $600 (or whatever) free money this year, or if you refuse to accept it, $600 (or whatever) next year.

why are people still confused by the basic tenets of the plan?
if you are confused, the faq page off the irs' webpage that i linked to above should explain most.
Old 04-17-08, 02:20 PM
katmu

Bikes: 1985 Trek 620 and 2006 Breezer Villager

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I was going to spend my $600 on a bike, I would go for a 2006 Breezer Villager at my LBS that they want $559 for.
Old 04-17-08, 04:01 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by katmu
If I was going to spend my $600 on a bike, I would go for a 2006 Breezer Villager at my LBS that they want $559 for.
I wanted to look at a Breezer, but the closest store that had ANY in stock was in Memphis, TN....12 hours away. There are 3-4 dealers a lot closer but they don't have them in stock.
Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 04-17-08, 06:58 PM
stevo9er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup. $600 (or whatever) free money this year, or if you refuse to accept it, $600 (or whatever) next year.

why are people still confused by the basic tenets of the plan?
if you are confused, the faq page off the irs' webpage that i linked to above should explain most.
Because the government can't just create money without it causing an equal opposing reaction somewhere else in this global economy. We aren't getting this money because the government some how managed to become very efficient. This will likely cause the dollar to weaken further as we issue more debt and inflation increases.

If you want a great example of the effects of issuing more currency as a solution look at South Africa and Mugabe's economic policies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.