Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I stink

Old 11-22-21, 10:07 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What are we, some god-forsaken triathletes?
Besides, at this time of year, sleeveless cycling kit is less appropriate than white after Labor Day.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-22-21, 10:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Do you use an antiperspirant and deodorant combination for under arms - it works on crotches too, unless you are doing massive miles. But machine wash your stuff like stated above.

Old 11-23-21, 03:39 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I wash my kit on the delicate cycle and line dry after every ride, sometimes I’ll line dry them in the summer to dry the sweat and wash after 2 or 3 days worth have piled up. They always come out springtime fresh.

Never throw sweaty garments in the hamper.
Old 11-23-21, 05:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
funny / disgusting story. I have hyperhidrosis. fancy name for "I sweat a lot". everything has a name these days right? anyway, a few years ago, I had to photo a wedding. was dieting so ate only a can of tuna for breakfast, the good kind in oil. anyway, during the reception, I brought a small washcloth to occasionaly wipe my face of perspiration. mid way thru the party, I caught a whiff of it & it smelled like fish. yikes. I kept my distance from ppl but that was the last time I had tuna before an event like that
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-23-21, 08:22 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Yeah, like others, I just hang my kit up after the ride to let it dry - with decent kit, and if it's not crazy humid wherever it's hanging, it doesn't take too long (the chamois takes the longest). After it's dry, I'll throw it in to the hamper. Never had a locked-in BO issue.
Old 11-23-21, 08:34 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I'm infamous in my group for sweating heavily on the hot/humid days we get here in the Midwest. Over the years, I've learned to key to minimizing stink is to minimize the time cycling stuff is damp.

1. Wash your clothes immediately after getting off the bike. When I get back from a ride, I immediately strip and run a small load of just the cycling stuff and whatever else is in the hamper. I wash all cycling clothes in mesh laundry bags to prevent damage to the delicate fabrics, this makes them last much longer.
2. Hang dry all bike clothes. Tumble drying is both damaging and "locks in" the stink in my experience. Set up a folding drying rack somewhere. After washing, I keep all of my cycling clothes hanging on a standing rack with plenty of ventilation, i don't put them in drawers/containers or whatever.
3. Helmets reek. Wash out your helmet after each ride and quickly dry the pads and straps. Hang the helmet up on the rack so it can dry out completely.
4. Buy a $20 boot dryer and dry out your shoes with it after each ride. These work really well.
5. Gloves stink. Get washable gloves without Velcro (Velcro destroys Lycra), throw them in the wash with your clothes and hang dry them.
6. If your clothes start to stink, get a bucket and some "cleaning strength" vinegar. Soak the clothes overnight in diluted (1:15) vinegar and water with a little dish soap. Rinse the clothes out well and then wash them normally. This can help a great deal.

Last edited by Hiro11; 11-23-21 at 08:37 AM.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 11-23-21, 10:15 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Merino wool doesn't hold odors like synthetic fabrics.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 11-24-21, 04:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
just remembered, this summer, while visiting friends at their summer house, to avoid using their machines since we were only staying 2 nites. after my solo ride on day 1, I jumped in the outdoor shower w/ my shirt & shorts on. gave it all a wash while wearing them, then removed & rinsed them. afterwards hung everything on their line & by the next day I was able to pack it all up to bring home. 2 birds w/ 1 stone, right?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-24-21, 07:06 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Yeah, this is one of the best features of Merino. I wash all my synthetic gear after every ride, but with my Merino gear it's not usually necessary. All of my ski layers are Merino for this reason, but most of my biking gear is synthetic, except for my favourite Merino jersey. It's the only one I don't feel the need to wash after every ride. Just air it out to dry and it's usually good to go again.
Old 11-24-21, 07:19 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
There are two types of synthetic kit riders. Those who know they stink and those who do not smell very well.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 11-24-21, 07:35 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 243 Posts
Agreed that synthetic fabrics can get stinky. I had your problem, I tried washing with vinegar, then tried using a laundry detergent specifically designed for synthetics (Sportwash). Looking back, I think the vinegar would probably have done the trick, eventually. However, I'd bought the sportwash, and although it didn't fix the problem completely with the first wash, eventually after several wash/use/wash cycles the smell went away. If the smell is there after washing, it may take you several washes with vinegar or a synthetic-specific detergent to get rid of it. (I've never tried any of the OxyClean detergents, so I can't say if they work or not.)
Agree completely with the advice to avoid fabric softener. I don't think it plays nice with some synthetics, and anyway if there is fabric softener residue on high friction areas of my clothes (chamois, jersey underarms, chest/nipples and necklines, etc.) then my skin gets irritated. That's also the reason I do the 2nd rinse cycle, to get rid of any detergent residue.

My routine:
1. Hang clothes (inside out) to dry after use. Well, gloves stay right side out, but the rest are inside out.
2. Before wash, fully zip all zippers, fasten all velcro fasteners, clothes stay inside out.
3. Do wash (when enough clothes accumulate) with sportwash or clone, with a 2nd rinse cycle.
4. Put in drier on low setting.
5. If anything is still damp (glove padding, usually), hang to dry. Turn dry clothes right side out, fold and put away.

(Edit: wool blend cycling clothing gets treated similarly, though wool jerseys and baselayers can get several uses before washing, as people have said above wool doesn't stink after it's dried. Not socks, though. I don't like the idea of using unwashed wool socks.)

Last edited by noimagination; 11-24-21 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-24-21, 12:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
But it has that wet sheep smell until it dries. 😳
Old 11-24-21, 05:00 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I’m happy to report back that after washing my bike clothes with borax at least for my first strenuous sweaty ride my jersey smells fresh and no more nastiness.

Hopefully this will translate to the rest of my bike clothing. From now on I will wash with little to no detergent and a bit of Borax
Old 11-25-21, 08:56 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Very true. However, merino kits for hot days are pretty rare, relatively expensive and get baggy quickly unless they're a blend in which case you're back to square one.
Old 11-25-21, 09:02 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
to synthetic materials?
This. I think it is because polyester (or whatever) synthetic materials bond to the fatty acids secreted with sweat and foster bacterial growth.

One way to combat this is to put some antibiotic cream in your arm pits before a long sweaty ride. Another is to keep the hairs trimmed sort.

Antiperspirants and deoderents have their own set of problems, and IMO are best avoided.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 11-25-21 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-25-21, 09:27 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Literally
after any strenuous ride in my cycling jerseys I am surprised how pungent my jersey’s underarms get (yet my underarms don’t seem to smell much at all). This never seems to happen with cotton T-shirt’s.
is this peculiar to me or to synthetic materials?
anyone else surprised by their post ride aroma?
Definitely can be the fabric...
I have 2 jerseys, which I like both for fit and 'feel' - BUT they stink !!! Meaning, I wear them for 1/2 hour and not matter the level of ride, they just get stinky...
I wash, with various liquid detergents from strong stuff down to Woolite and nothing changes, they continue to stink...
Not sure what the 'fabric' is, not a 'club' jersey and don;t remember how I go them... Don;t believe I even looked at the tags...
If it's a club jersey, ask other riders if they have the same problem and if they have solution...
Get different Jersey/Jerseys...
It's annoying when in a group, you're having coffee and you know everyone can 'smell' you !!! LOL!
No jersey is worth that, no matter the 'cool' factor...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 11-25-21, 09:34 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Never noticed that with quality Merino.
Old 11-25-21, 09:37 AM
Inusuit

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Very true. However, merino kits for hot days are pretty rare, relatively expensive and get baggy quickly unless they're a blend in which case you're back to square one.
I have a Merino jersey that's a bit heavy for hot days. Also a lightweight merino tee shirt that wicks well and a couple of merino hoodies. No pockets though. Never noticed any of them getting baggy.

I'm not here to preach merino. I recognize its drawbacks mostly that it's more expensive than other options.
Old 11-25-21, 10:30 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
I have a Merino jersey that's a bit heavy for hot days. Also a lightweight merino tee shirt that wicks well and a couple of merino hoodies. No pockets though. Never noticed any of them getting baggy.
I'm not here to preach merino. I recognize its drawbacks mostly that it's more expensive than other options.
I have a bunch of 'Merino' base layers and tops, a few light long bottoms which I use for Skiing - XC & Alpine and late season backpacking
Stuff is awesome nice, never 'stinks', but a bit pricey... But very durable, and goes well through mulitple 'wearings' when backpacking...
My Fav stuff comes from 'Woolx'... there are discount codes often...
My other good base layer stuff comes from Terramar.
Ride, Ski, Hike On
Yuri
Old 11-25-21, 02:43 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
+1 on white vinegar. Regardless of what it is - cycling gear, running gear, working in the yard gear - I'll run the wash with vinegar first, then run again with detergent. The acid in the vinegar will not only help kill stuff, but it will also strip away some of the buildup from too much detergent, which is basic. If stuff's really bad, soaking the clothes in a bucket of water with a cup of detergent overnight works wonders. And yeah, I sweat a lot on humid days...
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 11-29-21, 06:11 AM
bch238

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Synthetic fabrics smell bad when combined with sweat. I've noticed my wool blend jerseys do not stink so bad. I've had good results with OxyClean added to the wash, and using the 1-hour pre-soak setting on the machine.
Old 11-29-21, 07:14 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
There are two types of synthetic kit riders. Those who know they stink and those who do not smell very well.
There are people who shower and put on deodorant before a ride and people who, to put it politely, don't smell very well

That said, better fabrics seem more... resistant to smell. I have a bunch of cheap dry-fit running shirts (which does get me more sweaty because, well, moving a whole lot slower and all that) which I got participating in races and the like which will start to smell fifteen minutes after a run.

The root cause might be that I often don't shower before a run but only afterwards, but the better stuff I have doesn't seem to smell nearly as readily after a run.
Old 11-29-21, 07:48 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
This has worked for me. About 6mos ago I began using the liquid Lysol Sanitizer, added to the rinse/liquid container in the washer. Along with my clothes washer's "deep clean" setting and "extra rinse" setting, this has eliminated the funky smells from everything. Mostly all-cotton wear for me, with a few mixed-sythetic bottoms and wool sweaters. Don't seem to need it every load, but on the sweaty workout togs, I do.

I had forgotten about the white vinegar "zap" a couple times each season. Will begin doing that, too.
Old 11-29-21, 07:53 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
There are people who shower and put on deodorant before a ride and people who, to put it politely, don't smell very well

That said, better fabrics seem more... resistant to smell. I have a bunch of cheap dry-fit running shirts (which does get me more sweaty because, well, moving a whole lot slower and all that) which I got participating in races and the like which will start to smell fifteen minutes after a run.

The root cause might be that I often don't shower before a run but only afterwards, but the better stuff I have doesn't seem to smell nearly as readily after a run.
As Churchill was alleged to have said to a women complaining that he smelled, "Madam, I stink, you smell".

Could you be specific on the better stuff? My understanding is some synthetics are a little better at delaying the stink due to treatment with triclosan or silver particles. My synthetic kit is either Castelli or Assos. There is no way I would wear either for more than a couple hours stinkless whereas I can wear merino or other "wools" for many, many days and the odor will be far less than one day in a synthetic jersey. Some people just do not smell very well (ineffective noses)

Last edited by GhostRider62; 11-29-21 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-29-21, 07:57 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I only have a smelly problem if I leave my sweaty gear sit for too long before washing, particularly when wadded up in the gym bag for a couple of days. Pew! The easy and effective remedy is some distilled white vinegar in the wash, which has worked every time.

I once left a pile of sweaty riding gear sit for a week when I went on vacation, and that stuff got insanely ripe. I actually soaked it in a bucket of vinegar water and totally recovered it for use. The vinegar is kinda magic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.