Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Moved saddle forward and up, lost power. Dang.

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 07-27-22, 08:56 AM
runnergoneridin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been experiencing hand numbness for a while, but my output has been somewhat good and I feel comfortable when working hard.

So to experiment on the hand numbness, I moved the seat forward an inch (to exaggerate effect) and .5 inches higher. The result was that a lot of my numbness issues went away. However, I could tell that I wasn't able to put out the power and speed I had before. Acceleration was lacking and it felt like each stroke had seemingly less return. I do know I was less aero since getting lower was much more difficult being squished up closer to the bars.

Perhaps I should move the seat back where it was, but tilt it up some? Also, is there a fine line between BB to hip location (setback distance?) and power output? It kind of makes sense because I know I can leg press more weight than I can squat.

Last edited by runnergoneridin; 07-27-22 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-27-22, 11:23 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Quit screwing around guessing. Do it right. If your move your seat forward, you will put more weight on your hands. If by moving your seat forward, your numbness went away, you may have been stretched out too far, and need a shorter stem. Don't change reach with saddle setback.

Read this: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...or-road-bikes/

And this: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/

And this: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...d-can-it-be-2/
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-27-22, 11:26 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Although I agree with the above, the Steve Hogg links always make me uneasy.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a20036285/steve-hogg/
Old 07-27-22, 08:36 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

Oh lord, you don't have to agree with everything Hogg does, in order to get the seat setback and height correct. His methods there are fine. I don't necessarily agree with everything he does, but with respect to seat height and setback, yeah.
Old 07-27-22, 10:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Yeah, from what I can see, he is a really good empirical bike fitter who concocts totally insane explanations for his approach. As long as it works, I guess it doesn't really matter.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-27-22, 11:51 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Your assessment sounds very subjective. There are objective criteria for bike fit that generally play out, like setting the seat-top to pedal-platform distance (along line of seat tube) about 109% of pubic bone height, or seat-top to center of bottom-bracket at PBH minus 10cm. When you begin to evaluate changes from the settings set by these rules-of-thumb, you want to be careful to evaluate the results fairly -- for example, not changing more than one variable at a time.

The variable that's not easy to keep consistent in this situation is the degree of your pelvic rotation. This will have a big impact on the amount of pressure on the hands and on the degree to which your hamstrings and glutes are activated. With your hips forward and your back bent, you'll mostly be using the quads and have limited power. Rotate your pelvis top-forward, bottom-back, straighten your back from the convex curve to more of a concave lower back, and you may find the hamstrings can work now. If you move the seat, it's also likely that your seat position will change. Without a more careful way to evaluate the results, it's hard to tell what's actually causing any perceived change.

An example of a careful way to evaluate a single change would be to run several iterations before and after using a fluid-trainer and a power-meter. I'm not saying you need this kind of regimen to try changes to see if you can resolve hand numbness. What I'm saying is that when you change multiple variables at the same time, it's going to be difficult to evaluate what causes are resulting in which effects.

If changing the seat's position is causing a loss of power, and your position on the seat can't be adapted to resolve this, you could try changing the cockpit instead. Then you'll be changing the steering instead of the power department, and it will cost you some parts instead of just a little time making adjustments. This is where the rules of thumb come in handy to figure out which direction to go in. Where does the bike's stack and reach numbers sit now with respect to your body's measurements?
Likes For greatbasin:
Old 07-28-22, 07:27 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Quit screwing around guessing. Do it right. If your move your seat forward, you will put more weight on your hands. If by moving your seat forward, your numbness went away, you may have been stretched out too far, and need a shorter stem. Don't change reach with saddle setback.

Read this: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...or-road-bikes/

And this: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/

And this: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...d-can-it-be-2/
Overstretched and too high saddle is a common fitting problem today when riders see their favorite racers in TdF sport very long stems and seemingly very high saddle adjustment. Ironically, even manufacturers are also getting into the hype just to make their bikes look more aggressive at the expense of rider comfort.

Pros ride "forward" position in a significantly undersized frame so they really do need longer stems and higher saddle. To be comfortable in that position, you need to have very light upperbody mass (Pro body build). If you didn't, you'll have hand numbness or other problems with the arms and shoulders.

Last edited by koala logs; 07-28-22 at 07:30 PM.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 07-28-22, 08:05 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
It will be okay now, I am here. You can never move your seat too far forward, you just have to get used to it and maybe match the move with a longer stem. Your mistake was maybe making more than one change at a time, never a good idea no matter what facet of life you are experimenting with, except when you dump your wife for a younger woman of course.

So make one change, jam that seat as far forward as it will go and just ride it that way for a few weeks, then you will be sure of the effects. If you don't like them then mess with the stem length. When you are on the drops, instead of having your grip on the horizontal part of the drops, try holding the vertical part of it like a gun, this will have your hand further forward and stress them in a different way, and they will be more straight, it could solve your problem.

Having the seat a little high is much worse than having it a little low as far as power is concerned, this is proven by research, and it may be why you lost power with your second change of raising the seat. Anyone can look up the research on seat height vs. power.

Also lower your bars as much as your bikes frame will allow, you can never have bars too low on a properly sized frame, contrary to popular belief it takes strain off your arms the lower the bars are.

Good luck...........
Old 07-28-22, 08:15 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by beng1
It will be okay now, I am here. You can never move your seat too far forward, you just have to get used to it and maybe match the move with a longer stem. Your mistake was maybe making more than one change at a time, never a good idea no matter what facet of life you are experimenting with, except when you dump your wife for a younger woman of course.

So make one change, jam that seat as far forward as it will go and just ride it that way for a few weeks, then you will be sure of the effects. If you don't like them then mess with the stem length. When you are on the drops, instead of having your grip on the horizontal part of the drops, try holding the vertical part of it like a gun, this will have your hand further forward and stress them in a different way, and they will be more straight, it could solve your problem.

Having the seat a little high is much worse than having it a little low as far as power is concerned, this is proven by research, and it may be why you lost power with your second change of raising the seat. Anyone can look up the research on seat height vs. power.

Also lower your bars as much as your bikes frame will allow, you can never have bars too low on a properly sized frame, contrary to popular belief it takes strain off your arms the lower the bars are.

Good luck...........
They'll need it with that advice.
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-28-22, 11:11 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
And a half bottle of dumpster vodka to numb the pain.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 07-29-22, 10:17 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by koala logs
And a half bottle of dumpster vodka to numb the pain.
Old 07-29-22, 09:40 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
this may or may not apply, I wouldn't know... but I always like to try the simple stuff first...
change the way you grip the bars? numb hands often come from centering the bars on the center of your palms - ulnar channel and letting the wrists collapse cuts down on circulation.
straighter wrists and having the meaty parts of the palm and thumb bear the burden (when you can't put the bar under the knuckles...)
... just a suggestion...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 07-30-22, 10:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
I'll take a jab at the numb hands thing too.

Try to leave your hands relaxed when you aren't having to brake or steer. Just rest the part of the pad right below your thumb on the hood and everything else relaxed and not really touching anything. Maybe even flatten your hand with the thumb pad resting on the hoods stretching your fingers out every so often during the ride.
Old 08-03-22, 11:07 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Well, in times like these, it's good we can fall back on the famous Numb Hands post: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post12953035
Old 08-04-22, 06:44 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
They'll need it with that advice.
Perhaps it’s bike fitter satire?

Otto
Old 08-04-22, 07:07 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts

Bicycling Magazine has been worthless for .......easily 25 years now.....unless you are a Fred.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-04-22, 11:57 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Bicycling Magazine has been worthless for .......easily 25 years now.....unless you are a Fred.
So therefore anyone who says anything that is B.S. gets a free pass if Bicycling quotes them?

Nice logic.
Old 08-04-22, 02:08 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
So therefore anyone who says anything that is B.S. gets a free pass if Bicycling quotes them?

Nice logic.
Bicycling Clown writes......

Soon after coming home I e-mail Hogg explaining that his fit has, so far, had surprisingly profound effects. I tell him that what initially felt like a clown-bike position, with a dramatically lowered seat and feet more centered over the pedals, now feels powerful. My pedal stroke is smoother, almost buttery. I've discovered added comfort in every handlebar position.
How about you read the article?
Old 08-06-22, 02:48 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Except for the last sentence and posting #6, this not so useful a thread, sad to say.
Old 08-10-22, 12:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Trying to get back to the original idea of replying to the OP . . . first try using my fitting primer, here: https://www.bikeforums.net/21296948-post3.html

Also read: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...discovery.html
which was also addressed in post 6.