Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Custom Rando Bag recommendations

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-04-22, 09:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts

So first off I have a lovely Swift Industries Rando bag that I love it is an older model they did call "ozette" but have changed the name of due to being culturally sensitive which is rad. I have reached out to them already to commission another one for a specific bike with a specific rack and they are unable to do it which sucks big time because they did great work like really great work, like I highly recommend them 110%! My issue is I need some different sizing on it that is different from most standard rando bags and have some requests as it is not going on say a Nitto M12 or similar but a wider rack.

So far I am looking at Dill Pickle Gear (I do love pickles) and Atwater out of Canadia but wondering if there is someone else I should look at. Obviously don't want leather and need more on the custom side as after using my SI rando bag on this bike I know what has worked and what needs improvement so an off the peg bag is not going to cut it. Also do prefer someone who is willing to sew patches on it. The nifty Swiftys did it on my other bag and I was so happy but would want the same on the new bag. Really I want a Swift bag again but I asked and they are a single person sewing operation so I can understand not wanting to take on my "beeping throbbing vision" (stole that from the Electrical Audio forum years and years ago about why Steve Albini doesn't use ProTools) but damn they make a good bag.

If nothing else I can live with what I have, I have so many damn bags and really don't need more and feel like bags are my new bike N+1. Sorry for rambling had a couple delicious boozy southern drinks of some sort with peach and lemonade and a black berry something in it and I am feeling all right ; )
Old 08-05-22, 05:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
The limited amount of randonneuring that I have done has convinced me that there is no such thing as a rando bag, as I have not seen anything that was consistently used by more than a small minority of riders on a brevet. On the randonneuring forum, some have referred to a small Carradice style saddle bag as a randonneuring bag but I do not think that is what you meant.

I have occasionally seen small platform front racks that were called randonneur racks and a variety of bags on those racks, sometimes called handlebar bags that were not actually hanging from the handlebars. Is that what you meant by rando bag? I think over the years that Velo Orange has made a bag they called a Randonneur bag for such racks.

Another option you might consider is a handlebar bag like an Ortlieb that is mounted lower on a second stem with a handlebar stub. It is closer to the location of the rack mounted front bags on those small platform racks. I use something like that for touring and I like the ease of bag removal from the bracket to bring the bag into stores and restaurants, I have several such bags that are not Ortlieb but my bags are no longer made.

I have photos of several of my bikes with second stem used this way at this post:
https://www.bikeforums.net/21946274-post4.html

I recognize that the second stem is not a "rando" bag system, but I am not 100 percent what you meant by rando bags. I am just guessing you meant a bag on a small front platform rack.
Old 08-05-22, 05:34 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have occasionally seen small platform front racks that were called randonneur racks and a variety of bags on those racks, sometimes called handlebar bags that were not actually hanging from the handlebars. Is that what you meant by rando bag? I think over the years that Velo Orange has made a bag they called a Randonneur bag for such racks.
Interesting. I used one of those little sunlite racks that mounted on canti bosses to carry a big handlebar bar that had all the mounting hardware and some of the stiffening removed. It sat there held in place only by it's shoulder strap. I had never heard of a rando bag and thought the whole thing was an original idea. I liked it well enough that I mounted the little racks on bikes that didn't have cantibosses using improvised brackets. If something like that is what a rando bag is, it was a handy setup. I don't see a reason it needs to be a special bag though. I used a big Nashbar handlebar bag with the hardware removed. It worked better on the rack than on the bar. It sat nicer than it hung, was in a better position, and the rack/bag combo weighed less than the bag and all the original hardware.

Edited to note that I never used my setup for randonneuring. I just used it for light touring, but I don't see why a similar setup wouldn't be fine for randonneuring For what little I know about randonneuring, I'd think it would be suitable for the range of what folks carry. At the lighter end of the range just the front bag and at the heavier end of the range with some kind of seat bag (maybe a carridice type bag). I'll bow to the knowledge of those who actually know something about randonneuring though.

Last edited by staehpj1; 08-05-22 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-05-22, 06:39 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Not sure what a Rando bag is despite done my first brevet in the 80's

I like the tailfin aeropack a lot. I also like the Swift Paloma a lot....check it out. Ortlieb makes a pretty big seat bag that is waterproof, I used that one PBP and on a 1200 this year. Those three cover any combination needed on a brevet. I do not like frame bags or panniers while randonneuring. The big seat bags used backpacking are also seen a lot these days, they are too much for a brevet and would not recommend that for rando bag
Old 08-06-22, 01:29 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
David Cain up in Waitsfield Vt makes custom rando bags in waxed canvas as well as panniers saddlebags and more. www.waxwingbagco.com. I have one and like it.
Old 08-06-22, 08:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

GhostRider62 and Tourist in MSN and staehpj1 This is what I am talking about for a Rando Bag:
https://builtbyswift.com/shop/peregrine-randonneur-bag/

Don't need or want anything mounted to stems or anything like that. I have a rack that is mounted to the frame so don't need anything attached to my steering. I basically want a bag with a flap that opens away from the bike, a pocket in the front, two smaller pockets on the back of the bag and maybe some stuff on the sides. The map pocket is not so much needed but I don't mind having it.

Also don't need a seatbag (that I would just get a Swift Zeitgeist but I have a nice Basil trunk bag for my MIK compatible rack and a set of lovely Arkel Panniers. The idea is needing a very specific bag with some more specific sizing and spacing for pockets because the current one I have is great but the sizing is off by just a touch for clearance on my handlebars and using my rear pockets is tough with the rack and it has room on the sides for a wider bag.

Waxwing looks nice but I don't want leather on the bag but maybe he could do something custom in X-Pac I will have an ask.
Old 08-07-22, 05:06 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
GhostRider62 and Tourist in MSN and staehpj1 This is what I am talking about for a Rando Bag:
https://builtbyswift.com/shop/peregrine-randonneur-bag/
Looks like a nice setup. Mine was pretty much just a bargain basement version of that. Similar rack location and size similar bag location, size, and form factor. Mine was about 1/8 the cost, but I found it quite functional. I like that setup better than a handlebar bag.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 08-07-22, 05:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I have no suggestion for a custom bag maker for such a bag, good luck finding what you need.

When you get it and have used it for a while, please post photos.
Old 08-07-22, 07:06 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have no suggestion for a custom bag maker for such a bag, good luck finding what you need.

When you get it and have used it for a while, please post photos.
Thanks,

Hopefully I will get it made. I am just so bummed that Swift can't do it they really did such a fine job on my old one and really don't wish to try and find someone new.
Old 08-07-22, 02:31 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Have you thought about making your own bag? I made some bags many years ago out of cordura. They weren't that good, but they served their purpose. I could make a good bag, and I was planning to make one, but I saw Dave's booth at a bike show in Boston, and he could make exactly what I wanted,
Old 08-07-22, 08:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by ironwood
Have you thought about making your own bag? I made some bags many years ago out of cordura. They weren't that good, but they served their purpose. I could make a good bag, and I was planning to make one, but I saw Dave's booth at a bike show in Boston, and he could make exactly what I wanted,
No. I have a sewing machine but I have had a dickens of a time threading the bobbin and did give up on it. I am not interested in making my own even though I do have some specifics that I would love. Normally I do love D.I.Y. but I never have good time to sew and no real motivation on that front. I would rather learn to weld or do more cookin'.
Old 08-08-22, 12:40 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by veganbikes
No. I have a sewing machine but I have had a dickens of a time threading the bobbin and did give up on it. I am not interested in making my own even though I do have some specifics that I would love. Normally I do love D.I.Y. but I never have good time to sew and no real motivation on that front. I would rather learn to weld or do more cookin'.
I understand. I thought about making a handlebar bag about a decade and a half ago, eventually decided it would be too many hours and likely too many prototypes that I learned from.

Half a century ago when camping gear was really expensive, I made a tent fly and a number of less complicated items. That was in the era of Frostline or Holubar kits, I made a Frostline down vest. But sewing a three dimensional object can be really complicated if you need to add stiffeners, etc.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: