Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bleed kit recommendations

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-22, 06:35 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts

I am going to need a bleed kit for Shimano Ultegra hydraulic brakes. I only have 1 bike that has hydraulic brakes and it will be the only bike I service. I'm not too crazy about paying $153 for a Park setup, but if I have to I will. The local shops are quoting $35-$50 for a bleed on this setup so obviously any kit would pay for itself in the first couple of uses.

I'm looking for recommendations.
Old 08-04-22, 08:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
The Park kit is really nice as is the Jagwire Pro kit. I am all about buying high quality tools as I don't want to rebuy tools and if I end up with a different bike or have to work on a friends bike or something it is nice to be prepared. Plus it does come with a nice blow molded case though I really want something smaller I moved mine to another smaller box but it still takes up way to much space in my toolbox.
Old 08-04-22, 09:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
You can get the Shimano bleed cup for $12 and it does everything you need.

You can get various syringe-based ones on amazon for a similar price.

Even if you do, also get the bleed cup. It is handy to have for simple top-offs.

Looks like Shimano now has a new version as well:
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/spot...d-tool-review/
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-04-22, 09:06 PM
TakingMyTime

I'm definitely looking for something that will last. Although there is the chance that I may need to service other bikes I really don't see myself using this on anything other than my 1 bike for a while. I appreciate the Jagwire reference.
Old 08-04-22, 10:57 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I haven't spent more than $25 on bleed kit stuff (excluding a big liter bottle of Shimano mineral oil). I spent almost $200 on an Abbey Tool derailleur hanger gauge, so this isn't out of cheapness. I maintain half a dozen bikes with disc brakes for the family. A bleed cup is all you really need. Add in a disposable Leur lock syringe and some threaded fittings and you have more than you really need.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-05-22, 07:45 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I haven't spent more than $25 on bleed kit stuff (excluding a big liter bottle of Shimano mineral oil). I spent almost $200 on an Abbey Tool derailleur hanger gauge, so this isn't out of cheapness. I maintain half a dozen bikes with disc brakes for the family. A bleed cup is all you really need. Add in a disposable Leur lock syringe and some threaded fittings and you have more than you really need.
I may try the "home brew" approach first (putting together my own kit). It's not that I'm "cheap" either, it's just when I watch various videos it appears to be a somewhat simple job and spending $80 - $153 for a "Kit" seems to be a little overkill. If you're careful and do the procedure methodically it shouldn't be that difficult.
Old 08-05-22, 09:20 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The key is to have parts that fit properly. The funnel obviously has the correct part to insert into the caliper opening. At the other end, it is very dependent upon what model of caliper you have, as they keep changing the fittings. Some are threaded. Some old ones (like XT and the original Ultegra calipers) are regulated so you need a little wrench to open it up.

One thing I like to do is to have a syringe at each end, and then I can introduce negative pressure at the end of the bleed, which helps to remove air bubbles from the system.

It also helps to have some disposable small towels on hand to quickly contain any spills. Mineral oil is pretty much harmless, unlike the DOT brake fluid that SRAM and a few other manufacturers use, put it can't hurt to wear gloves and keep spills to a minimum.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-05-22, 09:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Bleeding your brakes should be a very rare thing unless you are taking the hoses off for some reason or let the pads and rotors wear down to less than the stated spec by the mfr.

I figure I can come up with some improvised solution for my Ultegra hydraulic brakes when and if I ever need it. But so far 29 months and counting, I've not had any need to bleed. (is there a video for that?) <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-05-22, 11:09 AM
veloz

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Get the Shimano bleed cup. Some vinyl tubing. A 20ml syringe from your local pharmacy (usually free for the asking). All you need. Get 2 syringes and use one for removing tire sealant.
Old 08-05-22, 03:27 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I shelled out the cake for the full Shimano bleed kit. Included the bleed cup for road and mountain bikes as well as the syringe. The kit worked perfectly for the front and back bleed. Did I overpay for the Shimano kit? Probably? But was the bleed smooth and more or less effortless based on the watching of several YouTube videos? You bet! Worth every penny for me.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-05-22, 03:46 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Note, some Shimano levers need the little bleed cup extender/adapter that allows the standard/mtb cup to fit said levers. The newer bleed kits might include one--I have an old one so had to buy the gizmo.
Old 08-05-22, 05:21 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Iride01
Bleeding your brakes should be a very rare thing unless you are taking the hoses off for some reason or let the pads and rotors wear down to less than the stated spec by the mfr.

I figure I can come up with some improvised solution for my Ultegra hydraulic brakes when and if I ever need it. But so far 29 months and counting, I've not had any need to bleed. (is there a video for that?) <grin>
I bled my brakes on my main ride for the first time in about 5 years, mainly because it bothered me that I hadn't done it for awhile. Judging by the fluid that came out, and the fact that they feel nearly identical now to how they did before I bled them, I probably could have put it off for several more years.

It is nice to have a funnel sitting around so you can do a quickie top-off if something feels a bit too squishy. This seems to happen on my mountain bike brakes more frequently. When my Ultegra brakes feel a bit less firm, it usually means it is time to replace pads or a rotor.