Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is your online buy and sell honey hole?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-09-21, 09:07 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts

Where are you preferring to online shop for C&V bikes and parts these days?

There are certainly many bikes and parts on eBay. While I don't know that I would ever buy a bike on such a platform sight unseen, I go to that site often looking for a part to finish off a bike. It is quick, easy and there is a pretty proven level of buyer protection. Being able to review the seller's rating is a plus too.

Craigslist, in my area at least (NE Oklahoma), has seemed to dry up for what I'm looking for. It seems the bikes that are there are all from a handful of sellers as all the photos show the same tan garage door. And it isn't readily apparent to me how sketchy the lister may be before contacting them.

Facebook Marketplace for me seems to be my favorite. While I don't like how Zuckerberg's algorithms decide what I will see, I do like that I can easily see how long it has been listed and usually any changes in price. I also like that I can creep the seller's profile before deciding if I want to contact them.

Or do you go old school cruising CO-OPs and garage sales? Where are you most successful in getting what scratches your itch?

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 12-09-21, 09:19 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
If I told ya I'd have to kill ya
Old 12-09-21, 09:28 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Bikeforums Classifieds. Buying, I get the best deals there. The selection of parts can be limited, of course, but the crowd is always nice to deal with

Selling, although it is hard to see stuff go for less than it might on evilbay, I get to keep the whole money, not just some fraction as evilbay would take a cut (and always a bigger cut than I imagine). So often it's better both ways.

I can't bring myself to go on facebook. It makes me feel real crummy so I haven't been there in ages.
Based on the increased tax reporting and changes in algorithm, I think evilbay is really trying to shake off any smalltime sellers of used junk, which is really my jam.
Old 12-09-21, 09:52 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
Don’t have a facebook account, never will, so pretty much eBay. Actually I sell CV stuff on CL, and buy CV on eBay. Have sold a few higher end CV items on Bikeforums though.
Tim
Old 12-09-21, 10:03 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 6,616 Times in 2,594 Posts
Pretty much all the vintage crap I’ve bought in the last couple of years has come from BFers. I’m not looking at eBay much unless I have a very specific need, but my parts bins remain ample.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-09-21, 10:08 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,364 Times in 888 Posts
Here - where’s there smoke, there’s fire.
Old 12-09-21, 10:26 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 646 Posts
Like scarlson mentioned above, the classifieds here are a good place to buy. Generally priced well, and from decent folks. I haven't sold anything here yet, but I'm working on it

The 'ebay/craigslist find' thread is another good tool. I found my Lyon there earlier this year.

Google groups has a couple of places that I've found stuff.

Offerup is hit n miss. I bought a Cannondale last weekend from a seller there. I've had a few good buys there, and the sellers seem to be of a higher caliber than the average CL peddler.

Craigslist isn't as good as maybe ten years ago, but I still come across fair deals on occasion.

I buy from ebay when I can't find it elsewhere, but I'm not digging what it's turned into.

I don't do fb,

Last edited by Roger M; 12-09-21 at 10:35 PM.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 12-09-21, 10:32 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
facebook marketplace - fishing gear section turns up some interesting bites once in a while
Likes For rgvg:
Old 12-09-21, 11:15 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
I’ve had really good luck with NextDoor, but one needs to be fast. I got a free Brooks Imperial in great condition, and I’ve been first in line for a handful of things where I changed my mind, but I’ve also missed out on excellent finds for being two minutes too slow. It goes in waves, but there are some spring days where I stalk like a panther.

For selling, it’s mainly here and Craigslist.

Last edited by noobinsf; 12-09-21 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-09-21, 11:29 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Facebook has the absolute crappiest search engine known to man. And nobody knows how to measure a bike frame. But you do find good deals there.
Craigslist is great. Sellers are typically more experienced. But you don’t find any smashing good deals there.
Ebay remains the best place to score C&V parts bar none.
Old 12-10-21, 05:38 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Bikeforums Classifieds. Buying, I get the best deals there. The selection of parts can be limited, of course, but the crowd is always nice to deal with
Originally Posted by Roger M
Like scarlson mentioned above, the classifieds here are a good place to buy. Generally priced well, and from decent folks. I haven't sold anything here yet, but I'm working on it

The 'ebay/craigslist find' thread is another good tool. I found my Lyon there earlier this year.
I haven't really looked through the classifieds on her as much as I should. Probably because I'm not really looking for anything specific, just some bike boom product that I would enjoy wrenching on which CL and FB seem to do. But I do imagine the offerings here are far better quality and from more knowledgable people than craigslist and facebook are going to have. And I think the eBay/craigslist find thread is fantastic. I imagine it has connected people and bikes many times as it lets people see items from regions where they wouldn't normally be searching.

Old 12-10-21, 05:50 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I gave up on craigslist a while back, as the time combing thru all the junk and over priced "pro" listings wasn't worth it. Facebook has definitely sold me a couple bikes with it's automatic suggestions, and it seems like it's more likely to find a bike locally from an original owner. Unfortunately, recently I've been dealing with a certain lack of ethics from sellers, which I think is a sign of the times.

I stop by the scrap yard every morning, and that like buying a lottery ticket with 15 minutes of my time. I Don't quite average a bike a week, and a lot of them have been mangled so I just get parts, but in reality all the "Barn Finds" around here are going straight to scrap. The average life expectancy of a bike at the yard is 2 minutes, so it pays to be lucky.

​​​​​​EBay is good for finding esorotic parts. I have a long list of saved searches that pop up every day. That's been good for cheaply filling out group sets, that often start with one component found at the co-op, or stocking up on consumable unobtainium.

Selling I don't have a handle on yet, but I'll be flooding the local market with $100 bikes next spring, and am going to start unloading the pre bike hobby stuff on ebay, as there's not much attachment to the items.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 12-10-21, 07:51 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
EBay is good for finding esorotic parts.
Is that like erotic and esoteric. Is there a bike subforum for that?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-10-21, 07:59 AM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Looks like a useful portmanteau, especially for us.
Old 12-10-21, 08:09 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I've actually had good luck over the past year buying from CL and OfferUp, of all places. Yes, 90% of the bikes on OU are stolen. Once you see through all of those, there have been a surprising number of 70s 1-owner nice roadbikes listed.
My pre-covid jam was a small chain of thrift stores in the area who are supplied by buying out storage closets at auction. Lots of crazy deals over the years, but covid has slowed down their supply and it seems much more competition for cool things. Our pawn shops seem to be fairly well run, I've run serials a few times on bikes and came back clean. Occasionally very cool stuff comes through cheap (which reminds me to check to next time I'm out to see if the Bianchi Eros is still at one).

I'm also a pretty thorough online shopper, if someone has a stupid deal I'll buy and either flip right away or use for a season before selling. Good example of that is On-One UK/PlanetX had a free US shipping deal a few months ago..... and a $62 DirtJump frame. Not something I'd ever *want* to buy, but I had wheels/forks/drivetrain bits to build it up. I'll play with it this winter, clean it good and sell in spring for probably $500. MTBs sell for ridiculous prices around here.
Old 12-10-21, 09:47 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Its all about the Dopamine...
Old 12-10-21, 10:58 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
My best on line source for parts is FB marketplace, I buy parts in the form of a complete bike.

I also find bikes when I am traveling. Road trips have become part time buying trips. Bought a bike on my last road trip solely for its pedals. Bought five bikes total that trip. Next trip I will need to take packing materials, as space for finds will be limited.

When you know how to recognize parts, you can sometimes find great parts in the form of a mediocre bike.

My last bike purchase was on C/L. Mediocre bike with some really good parts. Seller was only asking. $20, and it remained available for over a week. I finally succumbed. Most of the bike will go to the co-op, I will keep the stem, RD and crankset. Two bikes prior to that one were both FB marketplace, one a very nice Tommasini at a ridiculously low price.

Two challenges with FB marketplace: 1. sellers do not respond to messages and 2. bikes are not just in one, logical category. Bikes will appear anywhere from outdoor sporting goods, to misc., to fishing gear. Apparently, FB spots the term "Shimano" and assumes its fishing gear. Search function is painful too. This all combines to reducing the competition.

Selling is all either eBay, a couple of collectors at much lower pricing, or I donate. I'm done with tire kickers/no show artists.

Last edited by wrk101; 12-10-21 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-10-21, 11:45 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
2. bikes are not just in one, logical category.
"What do you mean? It is perfectly logical to put bicycles under 'Hobbies' along with Auto parts." -Mark Zuckerberg
Old 12-10-21, 12:06 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
"What do you mean? It is perfectly logical to put bicycles under 'Hobbies' along with Auto parts." -Mark Zuckerberg
And yet, despite his "genius", he doesn't recognize that an Airstream Bambi trailer for $1,500 is a scam (the one below is $1,200). They even let scammers promote their listings! So much for FB's AI.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...a-33f9db37ac66

Last edited by wrk101; 12-10-21 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-10-21, 12:28 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,775 Times in 1,405 Posts
Scambio 017 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Scambio 025 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Scambio 032 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Scambio 039 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Scambio 059 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Scambio 064 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Scambio 026 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Scambio 019 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 12-10-21, 12:50 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
^^^^ I'm afraid to ask .
Old 12-10-21, 12:55 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Yeah, @iab what is that? Some Italian flea market? Looks like they have motos too. I bet I could spend a couple days there, just poking around.
Old 12-10-21, 02:02 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,775 Times in 1,405 Posts
https://www.mostrescambiodepoca.it/m...-novegro-2022/
Old 12-10-21, 03:04 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3160 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,147 Posts
Here, and Bike Recyclery.
Old 12-10-21, 07:24 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
If I still have my website I could steer you to an article that describes my ten how to find a vintage bike list. But I was foolish enough to sell the website however this might be a small help - How To Find Bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.