Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Respoking advice

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Respoking advice

Old 04-28-22, 07:51 AM
swampyankee2 

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
Respoking advice

I'm thinking about re-lacing the 27" wheels on my '73 Dawes. The spokes are pretty discolored and a couple nipples are tough to adjust. It would also give me an opportunity deep-clean and polish everything.
Thinking about using stainless spokes if it's price-appropriate for the bike and wheels. Where is the best place to source spokes and nipples for this? I've seen instructions on the various sites for measuring spokes and I can measure spoke thickness, etc. I've relaced motorcycle wheels in the past but it was a one-for-one deal on an old 'giro bike and I used the original spokes which were in great shape.
Old 04-28-22, 08:06 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
You might want to put up a WTB for 27 inch wheels on the C&V for sale forum. Decent quality 27 inch wheels are not hard to source. Usually shipping is a killer on used wheels but you live in New England and so there are likely forum members near you who may have what you are looking for.
Old 04-28-22, 09:03 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
I'm sure you can find DT or Wheelsmith spokes on any number of sites so you can shop around for price. I'm guessing you're looking for 14 gauge spokes? There are also several sites/apps that have spoke length calculators based on your hub and rim dimensions.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-28-22, 09:14 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
I considered respoking the wheels on my 78 Motobecane but after pricing spokes decided to clean up the discolored spokes a bit. If I buy new spokes for a rider, they will be for 700c wheels.
Old 04-28-22, 09:24 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Assuming the wheels are not yet apart, review the spoke engagement and mark with a sharpie and a code, 2,3 stripes, on the odd ones if any, too short or too long (showing being ground off as an example)
Drive side rear on a 5 speed wheel would be 1 m shorter than the other side, so keep track.
Spokes are not cheap now. I would expect $40 per wheel or more landed.
That points to the suggestion of alternate wheels.
Note that 700c will require the pads to be lowered 4mm.
The wider selection of 700c tires, probable "hook" bead rims that also provide a wide range of tires...
You see where that is going.

An alternate would be to systematically unwind the existing spokes, 1/2 turn at a time, and oil up the spokes.
I often tear down wheels and do that if even one spoke feels frozen, makes any later adjustments - no problem.
Cleaning is for sure easier when apart.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-28-22, 11:25 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
I like building wheels for my bikes. That is, using the same hub and rim if they are good enough, and replacing the original galvanized spokes. I am probably the oddball for this, but that is ok. My goto has been The Hub Store https://www.bikehubstore.com/ . They were recommended by someone here on BikeForums.

Consider Pillar and Sapin spokes as well as Wheelsmith and DT.

By the way, I sometimes spend a little more, and go for double butted spokes. This may seem odd since only one of my frames is double butted tubing but I'm willing to go for double butted spokes.

I was looking at our own @Dan Burkhart YouTube video's and saw that he had a video on powder coating spokes.
That is another way to go if you are so inclined. Not really C & V, but interesting.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 04-28-22 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Trying to get the attribution to work
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 04-28-22, 11:39 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Discolored spokes are fine as long as they are still holding up. I will +1 the advice to simply go around the rim and bust all of the nipples loose, replacing any that are rounded over, and then true the wheels and give them a good stress-relief, Jobst Brandt style. (Part of the reason for stress-relieving is to identify any marginal spokes by breaking them.)

https://yarchive.net/bike/stress_relieve.html
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-28-22, 01:17 PM
swampyankee2 

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Originally Posted by smd4
I'm sure you can find DT or Wheelsmith spokes on any number of sites so you can shop around for price. I'm guessing you're looking for 14 gauge spokes? There are also several sites/apps that have spoke length calculators based on your hub and rim dimensions.
I haven't measured the spokes but I am using a 14 ga spoke wrench on them. 'Scuse my ignorance..
Old 04-28-22, 02:29 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 723 Posts
If you're going to pay for new spokes, it's only a couple bucks more to get the best. In my opinion, the best are triple-butted. Here's why:Triple-butted (and single-butted) spokes solve one of the great problems of wheel design: Since spokes use rolled, not cut threads, the outside diameter of the threads is larger than the base diameter of the spoke wire. Since the holes in the hub flanges must be large enough for the threads to fit through, the holes, in turn, are larger than the wire requires. This is undesirable, because a tight match between the spoke diameter at the elbow and the diameter of the flange hole is crucial to resisting fatigue-related breakage.

Since triple-butted spokes are thicker at the head end than at the thread end, they may be used with hubs that have holes just large enough to pass the thick wire at the head end. And they are thinner in the middle, which some say makes them more likely to stretch there, rather than passing the stresses on to the comparatively less-resilient rim, elbow, or threads.

Even on my weight-weenie builds, I'll use triple-butted spokes. A 32-spoke wheelset will weigh about 50-100g more (shared over two wheels) if you use triple-butted (depending on brand and whatnot). Is that worth sacrificing the elegance of the triple-butted spoke?

Bottom line: If I'm paying full-price for spokes, I go for triple-butted. If I can find spokes in the right length at a cut-rate, I'll take whatever. In a front wheel, this is doubly so, since symmetry makes them so strong. As always, a good build matters more than what spokes you use. Thus, the best spokes may be the ones you already have. Squirt some WD-40 or your favorite penetrating lube into the sticky nipples and they'll probably free right up!
Old 04-28-22, 03:08 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I like building wheels for my bikes. That is, using the same hub and rim if they are good enough, and replacing the original galvanized spokes. I am probably the oddball for this, but that is ok. My goto has been The Hub Store https://www.bikehubstore.com/ . They were recommended by someone here on BikeForums.

Consider Pillar and Sapin spokes as well as Wheelsmith and DT.

By the way, I sometimes spend a little more, and go for double butted spokes. This may seem odd since only one of my frames is double butted tubing but I'm willing to go for double butted spokes.

I was looking at our own @Dan Burkhart YouTube video's and saw that he had a video on powder coating spokes. Powder Coating Spokes That is another way to go if you are so inclined. Not really C & V, but interesting.
Thanks for the link!!!
Old 04-28-22, 03:17 PM
esasjl

Bikes: '84 Chas Roberts, '91 Peugeot Galibier, '94 Gitane Leader, '51 Dayton Elite, '90 Verago ATB, '08 Dawes Sardar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 60 Posts
Classic Lightweights has info on wheels for 1945 to 60 that suggests 15/17 SWG (1.8/1.4 mm) spokes.
Old 04-29-22, 05:08 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
I've bought spokes here a couple years ago and they were the best price I could find. They've gone up- from $0.25 then to $0.45 now, plus $0.12 for nipples - but still not too bad at $20.52 per 36 spoke wheel - for Sapim 14ga stainless. https://www.wheelbuildingparts.com/p...t-gauge-spoke/
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 04-29-22, 08:21 PM
swampyankee2 

Thats not too bad a price for a nicely laced wheel. Do my research now, gather my parts and have a good project for next winter so I can have enough time to screw it up and recover before spring..
Old 04-30-22, 04:31 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
are your rims steel or aluminum?

If they are steel, would either find a replacement wheel set in with aluminum rims or rebuild with stainless spokes and new rims

reason way better braking

Old 04-30-22, 06:31 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
All this talk about spokes. I'd like to see the Dawes... Galaxy perhaps?
Old 04-30-22, 07:05 PM
swampyankee2 

Originally Posted by big chainring
All this talk about spokes. I'd like to see the Dawes... Galaxy perhaps?

yes, one of the common yellow imports. Paint is in bad shape and spokes are worse. But rims are alloy and I'm slowly upgrading things.
Likes For swampyankee2:
Old 04-30-22, 08:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Those look like Weinmann Alesa 210 rims, from the little bulges at each spoke hole.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-30-22, 09:00 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Measure the old spokes and check ebay, used to be much better pickings but still not bad in odder lengths which an old 27", 36h?, box section rim will have. Built a pair of wheels last month, and paid 36.00 plus tax for 2 wheels, stainless butted wheelsmith. For an old rider I wouldn't worry about butting or fancy, just whatever is stainless, name brand, and the right length.
Old 05-01-22, 05:55 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 70 Posts
The actual reason a thinner (butted) spoke is mechanically superior is the amplitude of stress fluctuation in the spoke, not to mention the in the rim and hub at the spoke interface (as the wheel rotates under load) is reduced. This increases the number of rotations these components can statistically withstand before fatigue failure can be expected. Obviously the number of cycles to failure is different for the rim, spoke and hub, and is highly variable for each component as well due to the stochastic nature of metal fatigue.
Old 05-03-22, 03:44 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Thanks for the picture. That is a good looking bike @Swamp Yankee. I think if it were mine, and keeping in mind how original it is, I would leave the original galvanized spokes. I can't see rust from here. I see some white ashy stuff that that sometimes happens with galvanizing. I would clean them with grey ScotchBrite. I also think the paint is pretty good and just needs some touch ups. It even looks close to Rustoleum Sunburst Yellow. Then again, I think all yellow bikes look like Sunburst Yellow.
Old 05-03-22, 03:59 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 178 Posts
I've had good results from these guys when I need spokes. https://sunnyspokes.com/

Having said that old spokes can be cleaned up and re-used quite easily if they are undamaged. Oil and corrosion can be removed from spokes using Simple Green and then Evapo-rust, and generally the nipples will come out nicely with a long bath in Simple Green. The clean parts that you get as a result will reassemble nicely, and when you use spoke prep and take your time the end result is a nice wheel-set!

Wheel building is an art form and to have a proper feel for it takes some practice, but you do not have to be a rocket surgeon to build or repair bicycle wheels!
Old 05-03-22, 05:17 PM
swampyankee2 

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Thanks for the picture. That is a good looking bike @Swamp Yankee. I think if it were mine, and keeping in mind how original it is, I would leave the original galvanized spokes. I can't see rust from here. I see some white ashy stuff that that sometimes happens with galvanizing. I would clean them with grey ScotchBrite. I also think the paint is pretty good and just needs some touch ups. It even looks close to Rustoleum Sunburst Yellow. Then again, I think all yellow bikes look like Sunburst Yellow.
Thanx! I was thinking along the same lines of keeping things vintage and simple. It's not a real high end bike. I've tried cleaning them a bit in situ and they're pretty rough surfaced. I'm thinking it might be a fun winter project.
Someone else has suggested signal yellow is a good match for the Galaxy yellow. I plan on trying that soon. A previous owner had used a more pale yellow for touchup and it looks like the bikes paint is faded in patches. If it doesn't match I may try to custom match it.