Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Swim Trunks w/ compression shorts

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Swim Trunks w/ compression shorts

Old 06-08-22, 09:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Swim Trunks w/ compression short liner

anyone try this new style of swim suit? thinking it might be useful for biking to the beach, with the family. always hated mesh liners that don't ever seem to fit quite right. figured I'd ask here cuz I've got a "dad-bod"

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-08-22 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-08-22, 09:37 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
No, but it just makes sense. Looking at the FAQs on a few websites, which I'm sure you've done, I would buy a pair. But I haven't gone swimming since the "Olden Days™" of cut off jeans and commando right out of a boat. Also, my nextdoor neighbor just recently installed an in ground pool I'm sure I'd be welcome to try, but I'd be worried about clogging his filter with my "old grizzly bear bod".
TMI?
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 06-08-22, 11:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

thank you. yeah I hear ya. I'm hanging on. my 2 kids have invited their "significants" to join us for part of our summer vacation. apart from having to share a beach w/ my own kids, now I have to consider what I look like to them. I pretty much now always wear a beach shirt, even in the water, except when I'm alone. Wifey has made some comments about the trunks, so I need to upgrade
Old 06-09-22, 04:44 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Cut the mesh out of the trunks. Problem solved (I do this on all my trunks that come with mesh). --Or buy board shorts without mesh. No compression shorts at the pool for me, I'm a sausage man in the bike kit enough; don't need to do it at the pool too.
Old 06-09-22, 07:54 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I just bought some compression shorts just for that purpose and will let you know once they get here so I can try them. I plan to remove the mesh from my existing swimsuits and use the compression shorts instead. It was a cheaper alternative than buying new suits with built in compression shorts.

We’re moving to the beach so just planning ahead. The beach we’re moving to has about 7 miles of packed sand which is rideable except at high tide. I have an old trek hard tail mountain bike I use on the beach. It will be a lot more comfortable to ride the bike with compression shorts versus the mesh.. Our new house will be about 2 miles from the coast and it’s a fairly easy ride from our new house to the Beach.

I’m hoping to rig a trailer for the bike to haul a little fishing gear, small cooler, chair, etc. back and forth. There is a decent climb on a bridge going over and back which crosses the intracoastal waterway. I more worried about the descent with the trailer than I am the climb.
Old 07-08-22, 11:44 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Cut the mesh liner out of some swim trunks, and wear a pair of jammers under the shorts? Sounds do-able.
Old 07-09-22, 08:18 AM
rumrunn6

I can now recommend this brand & model

Safe Harbor, black pebbles ozone, xxl, 10" inseam, $72 (I have a 38" waist when buying slacks but this fit just right)
https://www.fairharborclothing.com/p...39612888744017

features & benefits
not too tight or loose in the waist
well made drawstring that works & doesn't get lost
suit stays in place, out of the water, without needing to tie the drawstring, but I did tie it in the water, of course
attractive appearance, looks like shorts
comfortable, doesn't feel like a bathing suit
the outer layer is not clingy & "revealing" when climbing out of the waves, walking to my blanket & drying off
the liner is soft & comfortable & doesn't show & does not feel like a "compression short" at all
the suit drapes well standing or sitting
some part of it, outer layer? is made from recycled materials

the only negatives:
the outer layer it is not fast drying. but it's OK cuz I am able to pat it down w/ my towel
the color pattern is darker in real life. I might prefer the Dark Denim Tiger style better
https://www.fairharborclothing.com/p...39612889038929

so, in the end, the suit worked well, when beacing w/ my adult kids & their partners. the suit wasn't an embarrassment for this old man. as for the rest of me ... well, that's not relevant here ;-)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-09-22 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-09-22, 08:24 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by jppe
I just bought some compression shorts just for that purpose and will let you know once they get here so I can try them. I plan to remove the mesh from my existing swimsuits and use the compression shorts instead. It was a cheaper alternative than buying new suits with built in compression shorts.

We’re moving to the beach so just planning ahead. The beach we’re moving to has about 7 miles of packed sand which is rideable except at high tide. I have an old trek hard tail mountain bike I use on the beach. It will be a lot more comfortable to ride the bike with compression shorts versus the mesh.. Our new house will be about 2 miles from the coast and it’s a fairly easy ride from our new house to the Beach.

I’m hoping to rig a trailer for the bike to haul a little fishing gear, small cooler, chair, etc. back and forth. There is a decent climb on a bridge going over and back which crosses the intracoastal waterway. I more worried about the descent with the trailer than I am the climb.
oh man, that living situation sounds great!
Old 07-09-22, 10:42 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh man, that living situation sounds great!
The house will also be beside the first tee box of a golf course……I’m in my 60th year of playing golf so hopefully a little slice of paradise.

BTW, I received the compression boxer shorts and used them at the pool with the grandkids. They were very comfortable.