Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Season Recap (for those who have recently ended their seasons)

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Season Recap (for those who have recently ended their seasons)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-14, 09:44 PM
Tman1965

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Good info.

I do jump squats without weights.

They are all-out efforts and absolutely murder.
Sandbags are a safe option if you ever feel like adding weight.
Old 09-27-14, 12:24 AM
rvigeant

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The goal this year for me was to try to win a stars and stripes jersey since I turned 50 this year. The year was to be a slow build up towards that.
I won every 50+ race at Alpenrose this year, placed no lower than 4th in any other Master's field (either 35+ or 40+), and raced well up at Marymoor in some of their masters races. Had good races at AVC and MGP, but couldn't find a partner for Six Day. I used the Thursday Alpenrose races for test and tune training days.
I won the OBRA state championship for the 50-54 pursuit, and won the 50+ points race by taking a solo lap of the field.
At Nationals, I attempted a do or die bridge in the points race and couldn't make it - blew up spectacularly. I finished the race, but two laps down. The scratch race was attack after attack, but I was unable to go for the final sprint. Pack finish.
Overall it was an incredible year of track racing which couldn't of happened without the expert guidance of coach John Walrod and Upper Echelon Fitness here in Portland.

Plans are already made, and basic schedule made for the 2015 track season. For the next two months I am only riding occasionally, and am working very hard on improving my power to weight ratio

I'm still looking for a Six Day partner......

Last edited by rvigeant; 09-27-14 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-27-14, 07:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
What I did well: I showed up. My goal this year was to enter at least ten races and come in last every time. I came in last every time and finished over ten races.

I can improve my training. I barely did any. I see how it would make a difference.

Also, I need a better way of getting to the track. Ridin my track bike through brutal city traffic left me exhausted before the races started. Next year, I'll ride a more utility oriented bike to the track and tow my track bike in a trailer. My racing shoes hurt, the riding position is too bent over, and the tires are too harsh.

Next three months, I'm going to ride as often as possible. So far, I'm still riding every day. I've been riding gently, all for transportation. I'm lucky enough that I can ride just about anywhere I need to be.

In other good news, I needed a stress test at the cardiologist, and I did great. She thought I'm some kind of great athlete, which made me chuckle. I said I'm the fastest bike commuter and the slowest bike racer. My EKG came out abnormal, so more tests are indicated, but I expect I'll get a clean bill of health.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-27-14, 07:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Thank you, @carleton, for all you've done here in this section. You and others here have encouraged and inspired me. Thanks also to the folks at Kissena for being helpful and welcoming.

Next year, Trexlertown!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-26-14, 08:55 PM
TrackMonkey7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My goal this season was to get my cat 3 upgrade. That didn't happen.

What did you do well?

I put myself at the head of the race as best I could and as often as I could. I also discovered that I may have a knack for points racing, so I long as I can keep my sprints 'unnoticed'. To clarify, I visited T-Town twice, and raced a points race there once. That points race was the first time I'd ever heard my name mentioned over a loudspeaker for making a move. We got the bell for the second sprint, and I was situated up high, almost near the rail simply trying to move up, but realized I could take the sprint if I went for it. Coming into turn 1, I jumped, and held everyone off my wheel. It was exhilarating, and I managed to stay well-placed enough to win the race outright.

Where can you improve?

The spring prior to this season, I spent much more time working on endurance, because I hate doing it. Coming into the track season, I felt overall more fit as a result, though less powerful. Last year at this time, I stopped weight training to see how it would effect my performance. The endurance training, running, and lack of weight training meant my weight dropped to ~148 lbs at 5'10" at one point.

What will you change?

I'm going to reintroduce weight training, of course. Over the depths of winter, I might try to put on a little muscle mass, though I kind of like the weight I'm at now (~155). I need to work a lot on anaerobic efforts as well. I think my endurance training made me feel perfectly comfortable in the pack, but once breakaways started, I was out of gas due to under-trained anaerobic capacity. I've also bought myself some rollers; just a few days on those, and I'm already so much smoother on the road. It'll be interesting to see how that carries over onto the track.

How do you plan to spend the next 3 months (OCT-NOV-DEC of 2014)?

Cyclocross season is thankfully dying down soon. I never really liked 'cross, unless it was on a single speed, but then I'd get upset when my lack of gears meant I'd lose places. I just think that CX gets in the way during a time when I could be focusing on other more important things. Anyway, I'll hopefully be lifting more, using my rollers and new trainer for intervals, and maybe checking out some martial arts gyms. I've always wanted to learn Muay Thai, and maybe the kicking could help my explosive power.

It's been a goal of one of my teammates to have a pursuit team at Nationals. He's been to Nationals and Master's Worlds as a solo pursuitist (pursuiter?), and this past season another teammate went with him to SC. I've got enough drive to get the two of them and any other willing teammate to do it, but the logistics to getting at least four of us out to LA is very tough, especially since we no longer have a venue up here in Boston. Nevertheless, my teammates and I still want to go, even is we don't have enough for a full team. I figure it's a damn good training goal.
Old 01-03-15, 01:39 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm new to this forum and still catching up on all of the great info that you all have shared. So this response might be a bit late.

What did you do well?

I lost 90lbs last winter/spring and entered my first track race in 31 years!!!

I reunited with old teammates (still riding for the same team), rode hard, attacked often, and sometimes got lapped while paying for my enthusiasm. I managed to pick up a few placings in Sr4 races and won my age-graded district omnium championship all at 255lbs. My tally for the year is about 70 track races (Sr4 & Masters).

Where can you improve?

Just about everything. As a former junior who used to race Friday nights against the pros at T-Town, I hope to get back to a national level of competiveness... well, nationally competitive for old guys.

Specific improvements:
Lose another 40lbs
Expand racing beyond track
Improve flexibility
Race Sr3

What will you change?

I only did one non-track race (TT - 4th out of 15) last year, so I plan to add a few TTs (including a tandem TT or two with the Mrs) and a full calendar of criterium races starting in very chilly February. I plan to do a Southeastern US track/criterium racing tour over a 2.5 week period in April.

How do you plan to spend the next 3 months (JAN-FEB-MAR of 2015)?

Increase(d) my daily workout routine to two hours/night and lowered my weekend outdoor riding temperature threshold to 35 degrees.
Old 01-03-15, 06:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
I'm new to this forum and still catching up on all of the great info that you all have shared. So this response might be a bit late.

What did you do well?

I lost 90lbs last winter/spring and entered my first track race in 31 years!!!

I reunited with old teammates (still riding for the same team), rode hard, attacked often, and sometimes got lapped while paying for my enthusiasm. I managed to pick up a few placings in Sr4 races and won my age-graded district omnium championship all at 255lbs. My tally for the year is about 70 track races (Sr4 & Masters).

Where can you improve?

Just about everything. As a former junior who used to race Friday nights against the pros at T-Town, I hope to get back to a national level of competiveness... well, nationally competitive for old guys.

Specific improvements:
Lose another 40lbs
Expand racing beyond track
Improve flexibility
Race Sr3

What will you change?

I only did one non-track race (TT - 4th out of 15) last year, so I plan to add a few TTs (including a tandem TT or two with the Mrs) and a full calendar of criterium races starting in very chilly February. I plan to do a Southeastern US track/criterium racing tour over a 2.5 week period in April.

How do you plan to spend the next 3 months (JAN-FEB-MAR of 2015)?

Increase(d) my daily workout routine to two hours/night and lowered my weekend outdoor riding temperature threshold to 35 degrees.
Holy sh*t man, that's amazing! 90lbs?!

Man, if you used to race friday nights at TTown, you've got to be fast. I'm sure it's still in there somewhere. Go find it

DLV starts racing in April and our first big event is in May. Keep an eye out on our calendar which is always up to date: Calendar | The Dick Lane Velodrome

Welcome back to the sport!

PS
You wouldn't be the guy that was chatting with Josiah Ng on facebook would you?
Old 01-03-15, 06:51 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Oh, and I don't ride outdoors if it's under 50F :-|

I'm a wuss.

I'll ride in the rain, but not the cold.
Old 01-04-15, 12:02 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I'm sure it's still in there somewhere. Go find it
I'm still looking for it, but I'll say a bunch of people were shocked when I won the MABRA track championship with a near clean sweep of events. I missed the pursuit win by a second. I have an overall three year plan for getting back into full competitive shape and so far it's going well.

DLV starts racing in April and our first big event is in May. Keep an eye out on our calendar which is always up to date: Calendar | The Dick Lane Velodrome
I'm trying to firm up my plans as 2015 race dates are being announced by the promoters. It looks like a good time to visit DLV is during the Speed Week Criterium Series the last week in April. That's a sprint week at DLV, so I'll see if I can get some speed in my legs before then.

I might do one multi-week trip done south or maybe two shorter trips. The multi-week option will have me visit DLV for two consecutive weeks. I do want a few races under my belt at Giordonna before the Masters nationals, so getting time on that track is a higher priority for me this year.

Welcome back to the sport!
Thanks, it's good to be back.

PS
You wouldn't be the guy that was chatting with Josiah Ng on facebook would you?
I'm not on FB much anymore, so it's not me.