Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Desperate...which display is fully matching?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 01-19-18, 06:59 PM
shabydog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I am trying for few days already finding A display for my ebike.
I need A display that does not matched to A spesific controller.
For example - when I search on Aliexpress(I want to order from there) I see many times "for KT controller"
But...As my controller is some chiniese stuff with no name - I need something that works fully with almost any controller.
If you can please advice me...if from your knowledge or expirience - would be great!
Thanks!
Old 01-19-18, 08:32 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
An LCD display is around $50, while most 20-25A controllers are about $25. I would say you're better off buying a second controller with an LCD display as a pair, as opposed to rolling the dice and hoping that an arbitrary display will work with an arbitrary controller.

And you might even have a controller that isn't compatible with any LCD display. There are plenty of these. My first kit is like that, and I like it that way. I put on a $10 bike computer to tell me speed and distance, and that's all I need.

KT controllers with the LCD-3 display are pretty nice, in my opinion. Many will take multiple voltages and I like the way one can use pedal assist and throttle.
Old 01-20-18, 04:51 AM
shabydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey @Doc_Wui
What do you mean "second comtroller"? using another one??
If do, I still prefer keep it simple and using just one that in the frame.

Regarding your recommandtion: Where can I find KT controllers?
Could not reach them.
When I serached for "KT controller" on eBay or Aliexpress I got only the display's that the sellers say's that the display works with KT.

Thanks very much!
Old 01-20-18, 09:21 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
If you already have an LED display that shows battery level and pedal assist level, an LCD display is just an ornament. You won't get much new information. The KT LCD-3 give speed/distance/time, outside temperature, battery indicator, pedal assist level, battery voltage, and current power being used in watts. After a week or two, you only care about PAS level, and speed/distance, but an inexpensive bike computer where you put in the wheel circumference is more accurate.

If you like gadgets that are inexpensive, you might consider a wattmeter. These will also tell you the battery voltage, and current. It calculates amp-hours and watt-hours, except I have found only Amp-hours is accurate. It is wired in-between the battery and controller, and cannot be mounted on the handlebars because the wiring is too long. I use them to measure the amp-hours my bikes use, and then I can evaluate the quality of my various batteries. Probably $15 USD on Aliexpress.

In your other thread you wanted to upgrade the motor. What is the top speed of your ebike now? If a new controller/display cannot help that, and you will have spent $100 USD for no imporvement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tenergy.jpg (117.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-20-18, 11:32 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
People are too worried about rogue Chinese stuff - the e-bike stuff is pretty organised. One common issue is PAS sensor compatibility, as different manufacturers can't decide on male/female plugs...

This is the KT-3 you're on about, it works with most modern Chinese controllers (mine is by Risunmotor). I got this off ebay. The plug it uses is generic, white with five wires in a straight row. Seems like all the current Chinese controllers of 36v/48v have a plug for it, as other LCD displays also use the same plug.

I really like it. It has a few quirks, but can be quite well customised via a long list of parameter settings - tutorials on YouTube educated me on these.

Old 01-21-18, 12:03 AM
shabydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
Doc_Wui
Actually, At the same time that is does not showing properly the speed - the display is just too big the display
You definitely right about that the these simple speedometer that we can see on MTB bikes are the most accurate.
PAS level: I dont use PAS. I dont know why the mechanic did not connect it or disconnected it.
I do like gadgets. even very much. but on this case I just prefer A device that will give me the basic details:
* battery level
* speed
* distance per single use.
Thank you

MikeyMK
I've seen this device A lot where I live and on Ali/eBay.
This is what Am I looking for...But problem is that they required A matched to controller.
The on I have is "one of A kind" that can work with almost any controller.
Thank you.

Details:
Controller + Motor are just A generic ones from China.

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-21-18 at 08:27 AM. Reason: removed some OT
Old 01-21-18, 08:30 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I know it's hard to help the OP with so little information, but if you feel so frustrated that you feel you have to insult him, that is against forum rules. I cleaned up the thread a little.

OP, if you could attach a couple of pictures of your controller, that would probably help.

I searched for KT-3 ebike display and found many hits https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ebik...613010219.html
Old 01-21-18, 09:07 AM
shabydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi unterhausen
Thanks for joining and for made the right required act.

Regarding the display you gave here: I dont know if I have a KT controller at all.
I will try to open the frame in order to bring more details...what do you need to know?
Old 01-21-18, 09:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I think you need to take a pictures of any connectors, particularly if there is nothing hooked up to a connector. But any picture of the controller would help
Old 01-21-18, 04:35 PM
shabydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I opened the controller box.
I did not want to pule it out as everything was very tight there.
At the next 2 days I will visit my store so they will take A look into this and will give me the info (and/or I will take a photo)
I'll keed you updat here.
Thanks A lot!