Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Aaugghh!! This happened again...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Aaugghh!! This happened again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-21, 09:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
roundabouts are still an alien concept to Americans
I don't know, I think MA must be a breeding ground for them. they're all over the freakin' place eek
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-29-21, 09:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I've had it happen also. Idiots gonna idiot. There's yields here for entering roundabouts. Meaning you don't stop if your path is clear. Same for car or bike. Just because an idiot in the circle sees someone coming like that and stops doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

The only thing I've tried to do better is anticipate the gap by slowing further up road from the circle so the person can't do the idiotic stopping in the circle thing. But, that's "bonus" to do that. Not a requirement or not even "good practice" in my mind.

The other thing in the US is the idiotic wild west 4-way stop standoff. If a car has right of way, freaking go. I'm tired of cars either racing me to the 4-way stop "because they're a bike" or instead being "too nice" and waving you on when they long had the right of way and could have been gone thus allowing a casual no-stop 5mph roll thru on your part.

Arrrghhhh.
Old 07-29-21, 09:43 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
This happens to me all the time, as well as similar situations where another driver has the right of way but yields to be polite to me.

The law in my state is that cyclists must obey all traffic laws the same as cars. If cyclists and drivers alike would accept the right of way when it’s theirs and yield it when it’s not, there would be very few conflicts.
My dad was one of those drivers. He'd be cruising down some main road and he'd hit the brakes and stop for every random pedestrian or kid on a bike in the middle of the block. It's a miracle he never got rear-ended.
Old 07-29-21, 10:12 AM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
"Who wants to slow down"?
gm
Old 07-29-21, 10:25 AM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
... Lots more close calls here...
I'm the OP. No close call in my case. Both of us stopped and there was no threat of a collision. It was just an annoyance, which as I said in my initial post may have been at least partly my fault for riding too aggressively as I approached the roundabout. As roundabouts go, the one on my ride is low-risk. It is one lane, and I exit on the road just after I enter (no chance for someone driving into me trying to enter the roundabout). One annoyance is that I'm in a high gear approaching the roundabout, and my abrupt stop leaves me trying to start up again in too high a gear.
Old 07-29-21, 10:29 AM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
To the OP...find somewhere else to ride besides the roundabout.
Good suggestion. The irony is that I chose this route to avoid another road that presented bike/automobile conflicts.
Old 07-29-21, 10:44 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yeah, me too. But it never caught on because people didn't want to give up feet, yards, gallons, and miles.
And pints! We do like our pints.
Then again, a half-liter sized mug isn't so bad either. A full liter stein...yeah....eliminates any need for half-liters or silly small pints.
Old 07-29-21, 10:57 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My objection to roundabouts really isn't about bikes or cars. They are great for cars and tolerable for bikes. The biggest problem is for the people who use crosswalks, especially the handicapped. The crosswalks are placed outside the circle across the lanes. Drivers coming in are concentrating on the merge, drivers coming out are accelerating in relief. Someone who is legally blind or very slow just has to step out and pray anyone who comes is going to stop.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-29-21, 03:26 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Roundabouts seem to be like the metric system and universal healthcare: Americans can’t seem to figure them out even though it’s just normal everywhere else in the world.
I dare you to drive in Slovenia.
Old 07-29-21, 04:12 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My objection to roundabouts really isn't about bikes or cars. They are great for cars and tolerable for bikes. The biggest problem is for the people who use crosswalks, especially the handicapped. The crosswalks are placed outside the circle across the lanes. Drivers coming in are concentrating on the merge, drivers coming out are accelerating in relief. Someone who is legally blind or very slow just has to step out and pray anyone who comes is going to stop.
The roundabouts in Waterloo Region in Ontario, Canada have the pedestrian crossings in a bout the worst possible place. As you said drivers are either concentrating on the merge or speeding up to exit. I've seen many very close calls where a pedestrian or pedestrians were nearly hit.

In some locales roundabouts near schools were not implemented because where roundabouts were near schools, some students were struck and killed by motor vehicles.

Also, if a roundabout is going to have a narrow radius then do NOT put high landscaping in t he middle of it that obstructs the view across the roundabout.

Cheers
Old 07-29-21, 04:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Also, if a roundabout is going to have a narrow radius then do NOT put high landscaping in t he middle of it that obstructs the view across the roundabout.
Not a problem in the USA, we all drive monster trucks (or at least that's how the rest of the world thinks of us)
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-29-21, 05:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
abrupt stop leaves me trying to start up again in too high a gear.
in similar situations I'll go into it with chain in the middle front & middle rear gears, then I can drop the rear (into progressively higher gears) quickly & easily during acceleration
Old 07-29-21, 07:53 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
And it's one of those things that we don't want to adopt because the rest of the world is doing it.
I think that round-a-bouts need metric speed limits to complete the picture.
Old 07-29-21, 08:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
When in downtown Indy I have had drivers stop at a multilane intersection with no stoplight/stop sign while I am stationary waiting for the light to change. Cars whizzing by in the other lanes while they try to wave me across, I usually just stare at them like they are crazy and wait until they get mad and pull through in a huff. With these kinds of drivers roundabouts can be dicey at best.
Some clever wag coined the term "niceholes" for those well-meaning folks who slow or stop to wave us through... into the path of reckless and impatient drivers.
Old 07-29-21, 08:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Part of the problem I've seen with roundabouts here in Fort Worth is good intentions hobbled by poor design.

Roundabouts need some visual cues to drivers that they can't simply blast through the intersection. Often the visual cue is something like a fountain, sculpture, low hedges, etc.

The problem is when designers get fancy and install objects that block sightlines across the roundabout and to the sides -- especially those suburban "trees" planted like dutiful soldiers to obstruct sightlines between the road and sidewalks, corners, etc.

There are a few major multi-lane roundabouts here that have been around for decades, and most drivers understand how to navigate them. But the sightlines aren't obstructed with unnecessary decorative clutter.

But some of the single lane roundabouts in residential neighborhoods are too fancy, with obstructions in the middle of the roundabout, dense tree cover and other clutter along the sides.

Our city could have extensive, safe MUPs along some busy thoroughfares if they'd eliminated the gratuitous sidewalks with tree soldiers and grassy side strips, and just built a proper, wide multi-use path, free of visual obstructions at critical junctures, and proper merge lanes for drivers to safely slow and cross the MUPs where absolutely necessary.

But, noooooo...
Old 07-29-21, 11:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,597 Times in 2,905 Posts
My first publication during undergrad was a study in Bicycling Magazine conducted on roundabouts. The conclusions were, far fewer collisions, smoothed and aided traffic flow, were highly effective alternatives to 4 way stops. Only single lane intersections were studied.

I ride one regularly in my town and the only time it gets dangerous is during the Summer tourist season. As a general rule, I trust no one to do the right thing. Too many idiots with, and without, licenses. Just about got hit by a moron in my car by a guy who didn’t yield. At least protected in that.

Old 07-30-21, 12:28 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
...why did the car stop?
Because most Americans even after 10-15 years of roundabout popping up (only in urban areas), most still don't grasp how to use them.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 07-30-21, 05:52 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
"I think that round-a-bouts need metric speed limits to complete the picture."
Great observation, kahn. I noticed it, too.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 07-30-21, 06:32 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I've complained about this before. There's a roundabout on my daily ride, and yesterday I was approaching it as a car was entering to my left (counterclockwise traffic). I was timing my entry to follow that car when... the car just stopped in the roundabout. so, I jammed on my brakes and stopped too. I didn't want to risk pulling in front of a car that had the right-of-way. With both of us stopped, the car then continued around and I followed. Now I'm thinking I'm partly to blame. Nothing bad happened. It was just annoying. But why did the car stop? Likely because the driver saw me barreling toward the roundabout and didn't want to risk a collision. The drive was really trying to look out for me. So, what should I be doing? I want to keep my speed up, partly because there is often traffic behind me and I take the lane. And of course, who wants to slow down when they are riding anyway? Maybe I need to be a bit less aggressive when following traffic in the roundabout. And instead of being annoyed, maybe I should be thankful that at least some drivers err on the side of caution when encountering bikes on the road.
Try making the appearance of stopping. Like putting a foot down.

Either that or time it with a bit more gap. I had people do that to me when I was driving. Maybe they just clueless to yielding.

We got our first rural roundabout 5 years ago, and these people still don't know how to drive it. I might be the only one to bicycle it.
Old 07-30-21, 09:02 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Don't tailgate in the roundabout..... it's not a raceway.
Old 07-30-21, 09:49 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Sometimes motorists are overly polite to cyclists. If I got a dime for every time a driver stopped and waited for me to go through a stop sign... maybe it's because so many cyclists run it that they are just anticipating... but I find the unusual and unpredictable behavior to be more dangerous than just following the rules which are designed to keep us all safe in the first place.
Old 07-30-21, 10:21 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"I think that round-a-bouts need metric speed limits to complete the picture."
Great observation, kahn. I noticed it, too.
That only works in countries where people use the metric system. In "moon rock " land, it would only be more confusing...well, I'm off to the bar for my Friday evening social, to buy beer in metric sizes and talk about our metric length race tomorrow in a land that uses metrics even in roundabouts. The rest of you, good luck....
Likes For Badger6:
Old 08-02-21, 11:25 AM
SteveG23

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
You have to expect such ridiculous behavior sometimes, considering that even without roundabouts (which, as others have said, many US drivers just don't understand), some drivers will stop at an intersection and essentially insist that you go first, even when you have a stop sign and they don't. (I have had this happen numerous times and it's really frustrating, especially since the driver may or may not be making eye contact and waving signals, but usually I can't see through the glare on the windshield.)

Some drivers just don't understand that predictably following right-of-way (and other traffic) rules is best for *all* parties on the road. Yielding the right of way when the other driver is behaving aggressively or erratically is generally a good idea; but not when both drivers (riders) can be expected to behave themselves and keep traffic flowing along.
Old 08-02-21, 11:44 AM
gregplo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I've tried to read through the thread, and haven't seen anyone state specifically that, by law, vehicles already in the roundabout have the right of way. Unfortunately, there are still too many drivers who don't understand that concept in my area and just barrel into the roundabout without slowing very much at all. I see close calls about 75% of the time. Unfortunately, we have had a lot of roundabouts added to our local roadways in the past few years.

Based on what the OP stated, they did not slow much other than to attempt to enter at a speed that would place them behind the car...the driver was probably startled when they detected the movement of something smaller than a car or truck in their peripheral vision.
Old 08-02-21, 11:46 AM
BobT1962

Bikes: Raleigh Detour - Northwoods Tandem 21sp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just be careful

I've complained about this before. There's a roundabout on my daily ride, and yesterday I was approaching it as a car was entering to my left (counterclockwise traffic). I was timing my entry to follow that car when... the car just stopped in the roundabout. so, I jammed on my brakes and stopped too. I didn't want to risk pulling in front of a car that had the right-of-way. With both of us stopped, the car then continued around and I followed. Now I'm thinking I'm partly to blame. Nothing bad happened. It was just annoying. But why did the car stop? Likely because the driver saw me barreling toward the roundabout and didn't want to risk a collision. The drive was really trying to look out for me. So, what should I be doing? I want to keep my speed up, partly because there is often traffic behind me and I take the lane. And of course, who wants to slow down when they are riding anyway? Maybe I need to be a bit less aggressive when following traffic in the roundabout. And instead of being annoyed, maybe I should be thankful that at least some drivers err on the side of caution when encountering bikes on the road.
I have has similar issues as we had a roundabout just outside of our community. It was bad enough with auto drivers not knowing what to do in this 2 lane round about so you can imagine how bad if you are on 2 wheels. There have been numerous motorcycle accidents in this one roundabout also. I usually play it this way when I have to enter if there is too much traffic I either stop and wait, medium traffic some times cant make it all the way around I take the first exit and re-plan my trip usually not a big deal, if no traffic or very light i go for it. Remember this is a 2 lane roundabout so if I need to take 2nd or 3rd exit I have to get into the middle then back to the outside. It can be very nerve wracking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.