Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why to people ride opposite traffic?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-12-20, 01:14 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts

I see many "casual" riders that ride facing traffic. Many are adults but some are kids. The do it not only on residential streets but on streets with 2 lanes each way, parked cars and cars going over 40mph.

Well today I saw someone get hit by a car making a right turn from a side street. This is at least the 10th time i've seen this. The driver approaches the intersection, looks left for traffic as they roll past the stop line and never sees the rider coming from the right.

New York State law states that cyclists need to ride in the same direction as cars.

So why do people feel safer when they are not?

BTW, the cyclist was not wearing a helmet and called his wife to come and get him. The driver was more shaken up. They were both VERY LUCKY.
Old 09-12-20, 01:22 PM
Skulking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
I was always taught that if I am walking I should be walking against traffic for safety, and if I'm riding I should be riding with traffic for safety. Maybe the people you see were never taught the second part, and see riding as an activity not done in a car and therefore they believe it is safer to ride against traffic. Or maybe they just feel safer being able to see the cars coming at them even if the reality is that it is more dangerous.
Likes For Skulking:
Old 09-12-20, 01:22 PM
IGH_Only

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I agree with you but riding in NYC is not exactly the prototypical experience. For one thing, some people might be paranoid about drivers behind them that they may not be able to see and because drivers are often so careless, I could see them bumping into cyclists who are going in the same direction as well.
Old 09-12-20, 01:30 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
[QUOTE=IGH_Only;21690612]I agree with you but riding in NYC is not exactly the prototypical experience. For one thing, some people might be paranoid about drivers behind them that they may not be able to see and because drivers are often so careless, I could see them bumping into cyclists who are going in the same direction as well.[/QUOTE

NYC or not ( Glenn is on L.I.), riding against traffic is illegal and dangerous and I’ve no clue how to educate people. I’ve so many near misses. On my bike commute I called them the “ Rockaway Wrong-Ways”
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-12-20, 01:34 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
In California, the law states that you must ride on the right side of the roadway with traffic. But I see people riding on the wrong side of the road all the time. In fact, years ago, I hit someone on a bike going the wrong way, on the sidewalk. I was turning out of a parking lot onto a busy street and bam, knocked a girl off her bike, she was not hurt, luckily and the bike was not damaged, but I was freaked out. I was not looking for someone on a bike going the wrong way.
I think people ride so they can see the traffic coming, but not only is it more dangerous, not just because no one is looking for you, but also if you do get hit, now the speed is multiplied, by the speed of the car and how fast your riding. If your riding at 15 mph and the car is going 35 mph you get hit at the force of 50mph, where if you were riding with traffic and got hit given the same scenario, the impact would be 20mph, still, not a good experience, but much better then 50mph.
Likes For royphotog:
Old 09-12-20, 01:37 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Riding in NYC is a death wish, even when you're in a bike lane.

I'm talking suburban roads. Most cars tend to stop 5 feet past the stop line so they are already past the curb and into the cross street shoulder... here people ride their bikes.

Last month I saw a guy get thrown over the hood of a car that never looked left.
Old 09-12-20, 01:44 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
cyclists need to ride in the same direction as cars. So why do people feel safer when they are not?
Meth?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-12-20, 01:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,597 Times in 5,944 Posts
I see it all the time. Often it's families teaching their kids how to get killed by cars ride. I want to stop and tell them not to, but since there's usually a Dad, he'd get all defensive about being corrected in front of his kids, and I'd just as soon avoid the drama.

The other thing that bothers me is runners running with traffic. THAT'S where you're supposed to be on the other side, when you're a pedestrian not on a sidewalk.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-12-20, 01:57 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Common sense is not common. Playing chicken isn't a good idea.
Old 09-12-20, 01:58 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've seen it more than once, and the last time I was in a car with my family. I said "Salmon! Salmon! Salmon!" and pointed out to my kids how dangerous that was.

Whenever I've mentioned it to people, I've had a lot of people say, "That's what we were taught, to ride against traffic." I know that can't be right, or else someone giving this instruction was horribly mistaken. I wonder if they mistook being told to walk against traffic for riding a bike against traffic.
Old 09-12-20, 02:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Mandela Effect.

People believe they know something, despite getting it wrong on associations and details. But because of peer pressure and intellectual laziness they never question their own assumptions.

As a kid in the 1960s schools attempted to teach rudimentary lessons in how to be a decent human being. They called it "civics." That included teaching kids to walk facing traffic. Presumably so they could jump out of the way of murderous members of their "community" barging around maliciously in their death machines. In drivers ed I don't recall any lessons teaching drivers to be decent human beings and not run over slower pedestrians and cyclists.

Anyway, as a result of those lessons about walking facing traffic, which most people wake-slept through, they halfway remember something about facing traffic and assume it applies to cyclists too.

I encountered that same misapprehension from a friend who's my age (both born in the late 1950s). I occasionally see him outside when I'm coming home from bike rides and stop to chat awhile. He mentioned that same mistake about riding facing traffic. I told him that applies only to pedestrians and, in most states, cyclists are supposed to operate like motor vehicles.

Same reason why some drivers holler "Get on the sidewalk!" at cyclists. Never mind that there are very few sidewalks in suburbs that were built to take advantage of personal transportation.

And the misunderstanding is reinforced by people riding bikes pretty much the way most people walk -- opportunistically. To minimize our risk from reckless drivers, most of us walk with little or no regard to official guidlines -- crosswalks, intersections and walk lights. It makes no sense to cross at an intersection where the walk signal coincides with signals to drivers that it's okay to turn right on red and left against traffic on yellow. So pedestrians are competing with death machines coming from different directions. Effectively the walk signal means nothing. So for our own safety we'll "jaywalk" by choosing a place in the middle of the block to cross where we have a clear view in two directions (rather than four at the typical intersection), a median strip as a safe zone, etc.

In my area most folks on bicycles wouldn't self-identify as "cyclists." The bike is just a way to get around that's a little faster than walking. But they ride their bikes the same way most of us walk -- opportunistically. They'll ride on the sidewalk for awhile wherever a sidewalk is available. They'll ride facing traffic for awhile, then dart diagonally across an intersection, dodging vehicles, and ride with traffic for awhile, then cut through a parking lot, etc.

It might seem reckless to casual observers, and sometimes it is reckless. But if you study them closely enough, it's mostly opportunistic, trying to read the patterns of vehicle traffic and riding to suit conditions.

Last edited by canklecat; 09-12-20 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-12-20, 02:13 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Haven't yet ridden the wrong way on a roadway myself. Even with the risks, I feel with lighting and DayGlo vests and reflectors, it's hard to not be seen even on a relatively narrow and winding road. I hate it, but the alternative on such roads is uglier.

Though, truth be told, I often did this on narrow roads when I used to run. It was about the least-ugly way to be running along a route where there was no sidewalk, trail or bike lane to be running on. Against traffic, in a relatively lightly-used lane, one (as a runner) could see oncoming traffic and could easily get off the road long before the approaching car was anywhere near. Far safer, though technically unlawful. No way would I run on such a road in a manner failing to see what was approaching.

Why do people, in general, do such things? Mindless assumption they'll be seen, they'll be safer, and (I'm sure, with some) that they've every right to ride where they please. I just stopped in my lane, once, on a one-way road, when an oncoming "salmon" cyclist was assuming I'd pull over and make room. There was no such room, and there were vehicles in the next lane over. So, forced to pull his finger out, he finally hopped up to the sidewalk where he should have been in the first place. Probably saved him from being run down. Given it was at the darker side of dawn ... and he had no reflectors or lighting or reflectors.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 09-12-20, 02:44 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Many people just do not understand the reasoning of riding with traffic. They feel safer being able to see the oncoming vehicles. They do not get the dangers this behavior imposes on them and others. I believe one factor is the lack of enforcement in the laws. Obviously, education and explanation would be a huge help.
Old 09-12-20, 02:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Meth?
Not sure someone on meth has the balance to ride a bike.
Old 09-12-20, 03:25 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
I can't see how in the heck someone riding the wrong way on a busy street, with cars coming from parking lots and driveways can't figure out, after just a few blocks, that car drivers are not even looking their way.

Of course, they hardly ever get stopped by police for doing this. I did see a bicycle get stopped the other day by a motor officer on an electric motorcycle. He was stopped at a light, getting ready to turn left and there goes a guy on a bicycle riding fast on a sidewalk that had pedestrian on it. The motor officer pulls him over a couple of blocks up the road. He was riding with traffic but it was his speed and the fact he was on the sidewalk that got the cop's attention.
Old 09-12-20, 03:35 PM
UnderDawgAl
Overweight & Out of Shape

Bikes: '94 Giant Sedona ATX mtb, since new; '12 Cannondale Synapse 4 Rival

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Many people just do not understand the reasoning of riding with traffic. They feel safer being able to see the oncoming vehicles. They do not get the dangers this behavior imposes on them and others. I believe one factor is the lack of enforcement in the laws. Obviously, education and explanation would be a huge help.

Same applies for people who are in the left lane on the interstate while driving slower than the flow of traffic. I presume they ~feel~ safer because no one is passing them on their left side. Of course, they are actually in a more dangerous position, hence the rule of using the left lane only for passing.
Likes For UnderDawgAl:
Old 09-12-20, 03:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
While we're at it, what's with all the cheap or lazy suburban homeowners who don't put in sidewalks, so everyone's out walking around in the street?
Old 09-12-20, 03:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
While we're at it, what's with all the cheap or lazy suburban homeowners who don't put in sidewalks, so everyone's out walking around in the street?
Many communities don't require and don't have sidewalks. I have a sidewalk and 15 years ago the town put a tree at the curb. Their tree cracked my sidewalk and it's my responsibility to fix it. If I were allowed, i'd remove the sidewalk instead.
Old 09-12-20, 04:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Many communities don't require and don't have sidewalks. I have a sidewalk and 15 years ago the town put a tree at the curb. Their tree cracked my sidewalk and it's my responsibility to fix it. If I were allowed, i'd remove the sidewalk instead.
Exactly.. when did towns and owners get so cheap and lazy?
Old 09-12-20, 04:03 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Exactly.. when did towns and owners get so cheap and lazy?
It's not cheap or lazy... it's a more rural look. Some also don't have poured concrete curbs either.
Old 09-12-20, 04:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

It's not cheap or lazy... it's a more rural look. Some also don't have poured concrete curbs either.
Maybe.. but everybody having to walk in the streets isn't a plus for safety, if that's the gist of this thread.
Old 09-12-20, 04:19 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Maybe.. but everybody having to walk in the streets isn't a plus for safety, if that's the gist of this thread.
So don't buy a house in that neighborhood.

Some gated communities have rules about the color of your house, the lawn decorations and thousands of others... I would never live in such a place.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-12-20, 04:20 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
limited access curbs potential liability as it denys the pedestrians the right of way. Having or not having sidewalks does nothing for impacting the homeowners insurance rates, although it should. Which, with that being not impacted, the assumed rationale for not having sidewalks tends to be correlated to a population control. Such as perception of safety while also taking away the non urban image by discouraging walking for select clientele.
Old 09-12-20, 04:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

So don't buy a house in that neighborhood.

Some gated communities have rules about the color of your house, the lawn decorations and thousands of others... I would never live in such a place.
The houses I've lived in had sidewalks.. both my parents as a kid, and my own. However, moved to the city somewhat over a dozen years ago. Back then though, the talk was how new housing devs were not putting in sidewalks.. the positive spin and rationale seemed to be 'hey, no need too shovel snow, or keep the sidewalk in repair (liability issues)..' and the towns are all going along with this. Just a curiosity IMO.

Anyway, I brought it up since riding anywhere outside the city, I typically find myself riding lots of roads with lots of folks strolling down the streets as it now seems unavoidable. In suburbia, they walk with or against traffic in these situations; the jogger rules of thumb seem nonexistent. And these days, I get the dirty looks -- maybe for not having on a mask.. when they're the ones walking in traffic.
Old 09-12-20, 04:35 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
it used to only be the homeless round here but since the pandemic bike apocalypse it is new riders too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.