Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best gear for riding in rain: jacket, socks etc.?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-28-21, 04:12 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Riding in the rain can be a bit less than fun. What are some pro tips for gear? Thinking warm summer day rain rides, so putting a premium on breathability. Interested in thoughts on best lightweight, packable (needs to stuff in jersey pocket or expandable saddle bag), breathable rain jacket along with recommendations to keep the feet dry. Any other gear necessary?
Old 06-28-21, 06:10 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
For summer, don't bother with rain gear. You'll get wet anyway and you'll be lugging around more wet stuff. Different call for cold weather when you need warmth.
Old 06-28-21, 06:57 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
For summer, don't bother with rain gear. You'll get wet anyway and you'll be lugging around more wet stuff. Different call for cold weather when you need warmth.
Anytime the temp is above 65°F (18°C), I just deal with it. I find that it is far more miserable wearing a rain jacket–despite all claims of breathability that is only marginally more so than a hefty sack. If you know it's going to rain, you could use shoe covers to keep the feet drier than they would be without them. The Pearl Izumi Barrier Lite or the VeloToze is perfect for this. They're light and stretchy, and do a good job of keeping the feet dry.

Last edited by Badger6; 06-28-21 at 11:53 PM. Reason: typos
Likes For Badger6:
Old 06-28-21, 07:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Yep. Warm summer day rain rides=no rain jacket. I only wear my rain jacket to stay warm.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-28-21, 08:51 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
My rain kit consists of a superlight Castelli Squadra jacket and Pearl Izumi PRO Barrier Lite shoe covers.

Neither are waterproof, but they do wind break, preventing me from getting too chilled, and the covers keep the shoes from getting filthy with road grime. The Squadra hardly holds any water, either, so it dries out really quickly.

I pack the Squadra if it might rain, but only use the shoes covers if I’m starting in the rain; I guess they’re packably light, though.

Squadra jacket at Competitve Cyclist

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...ite-shoe-cover

Last edited by chaadster; 06-28-21 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-28-21, 11:24 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Liked 3,438 Times in 1,738 Posts
For mild temperatures, the only outerwear I carry is a Showers Pass Pro Tech ST jacket.

Very lightweight and packable. And it doubles as a wind jacket for the cool-temperature descents.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-28-21, 04:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
IMO, water in the shoes is the most unpleasant aspect of riding in rain. Our local "gravel" rides feature lots of creek crossings. I cut large drain vents in the sides of some old bike shoes. Socks still get wet but my feet aren't waterlogged after.
Old 06-28-21, 06:56 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Rode home today in a minor storm. Started with my rain jacket but it quickly got stuffy so I went on in just shorts and t-shirt and it was fine. The only reason to wear more is if it is cold enough for hypothermia. I was wearing Chucks because my good shoes were still soaked from two days ago, but I think next time I will try sandals if I know it will rain. I don't generally wear sandals for anything, but now I have two sopping sets of shoes, so . . .
Old 06-29-21, 02:53 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Lightweight merino top and socks.

Maybe shoes with some kind of mesh/airy upper if spd etc is your thing.
Or sandals.
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 06-29-21, 04:44 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Velotoze. Make that the newer velotoze 2. They wrap then snap around the bottom and are more durable than the first.

Or in the summer just embrace the wet feet because you’ll sweat a lot in them. I still prefer them to soaking wet and have done the later many many times.

I had some pants once for rain and they were pretty ok for the cold until they ripped. They weren’t flexible and made the ride less enjoyable.

And thanks. Now it WILL rain today.
Old 06-29-21, 11:06 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
If its a late spring thru early fall rain- I just suck it up. Odds are I will be riding when the rain ends, the sun appears, and it suddenly becomes 164% humidity.
If its an early spring or late fall rain- Any thin jacket that keeps rain off me and more importantly wind off of me will work. I also will want full finger gloves for the same reason- wind + rain + cold = hurting fingers.
Old 06-29-21, 09:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I probably wouldn't do much in the way of rain gear aside from of these:
https://www.sealskinzusa.com/product...with-hydrostop

Granted your feet will probably do some sweating but it will hopefully keep them from getting super soggy from rain and ground water. Well ventilated shoes (most importantly drainage holes) are the best key but hopefully the socks will help a touch.

Lightweight moisture wicking/quick dry clothing is generally the best for rainy rides in the heat. If one could comfortably ride nearly nude and not look hideous I would probably do that.
Old 06-30-21, 07:08 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
We usually get "caught" in a quick rain storm and I only pack a jacket if riding higher up near 10,000 ft or if it is colder near Denver. I used to carry or wear (rarely wearing) a 7Mesh waterproof jacket or one of their water resistant jackets depending on conditions.

Lately, I have been carrying a 7Mesh Gore ShakeDry shell since it is so light, so thin, and extremely packable. It is a game changer for me since I hate putting thick jackets in my jersey pocket. It beats anything else out there and breathes quite well. I run warm so I rarely wear any jacket/shell unless at the beginning of a cold ride.

I'll carry toe covers at times but if it is really rainy, IU find they don't help except for the first 5 mins. I do have some water resistant bibs but unless the roads are wet (rare) I don't use them. I never wear waterproof socks. My feet get too hot. If cold weather (under 40 degrees) I wear merino socks and if really cold, nothing beats the Rapha Deep Winter socks. They are way more dense than anything even Darn Tough makes and keep my toes warm even when wet.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 07-02-21, 05:26 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
If you are the type that appreciates a laterally stiff and vertically compliant frame you should definitely seek out and wear a waterproof yet breathable lightweight rain jacket.
Otherwise, keep your feet as dry as possible and enjoy the rain in warm weather
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 07-02-21, 08:44 AM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
I really like my Castelli Gore Shakedry jacket. Very thin, light and stuffable. Breathes reasonably well. The only downside (besides $$$) is the black color which isn't too visible in overcast conditions.

David
Old 07-02-21, 09:21 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
helmet cover w/ a brim might be useful. rain on your glasses can affect your vision. mine is kinda goofy looking & mostly used in cooler temps. but I remember riding in rain & not liking it in my eyes or on my glasses. maybe a simple cycling cap would be helpful & less goofy looking? but if you don't mind what you look like, it's darn nice to have the shelter. learned about it here on the forums & it provides features & benefits that cheap motel style shower caps (or regular legit cycling helmet covers) don't, such as eye & neck protection

Taiga Cycle Helmet Rain Cover (color black)
cheap motel style shower caps are still good to keep in yer trunk tho, just in case

then there are the trunk covers themselves. if you don't have a rear fender then a piece of plastic on the rack will protect the trunk bottom. but I have actually taken the whole trunk, put it in a plastic compactor bag & strapped it to my trunk. useful for commuters, maybe. not a summer pic hehe but shows my trunk cover

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-02-21 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-02-21, 09:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
helmet cover w/ a brim might be useful. rain on your glasses can affect your vision. mine is kinda goofy looking & mostly used in cooler temps. but I remember riding in rain & not liking it in my eyes or on my glasses. maybe a simple cycling cap would be helpful & less goofy looking? but if you don't mind what you look like, it's darn nice to have the shelter. learned about it here on the forums & it provides features & benefits that cheap motel style shower caps (or regular legit cycling helmet covers) don't, such as eye & neck protection

Taiga Cycle Helmet Rain Cover (color black)
Ooh, that’s a cool piece of kit!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-02-21, 10:08 AM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I carry a rain vest made by Castelli. I am sure every clothing company has on though. I also found these rain nickers by Assos that are great.
Old 07-02-21, 10:24 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
as mentioned above, very temperature dependent. also a distance question. One time I did a 40mi with a lot of rain and was very glad to have hiking rain pants and a good breathable gore-tex jacket. check your shoes, some have airvents on the bottom side which may need blocking. shoe covers (booties) a major bonus. cycling cap to get a visor out front for drips.
Old 07-02-21, 10:38 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
- Castelli Nano Flex shorts. These have some natural water resistance. They're also designed to offer some insulation, but I've been fine riding in them in warm weather. They're also just really comfortable all-around shorts.
- I've got a pocketable rain jacket and shoe covers from Galibier. They're British, I figure they know a bit about riding in the rain, and their prices are reasonable. I'll wear the jacket if its on the cool side. If you wear it when its warm, you'll get equally wet from your sweat. The shoe covers are more to protect from road spray than rain.
Old 07-02-21, 10:44 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I got caught in a brutal thunderstorm last sumer. It came out of nowhere and plastered me. I had to huddle under some trees as the only shelter around. It went from the hi 90's to very cold as i was shivering cold under the tree's. I thought hypothermia was going to set in. Finally the storm stopped, the sun came out again and 15 minutes later i was good to go. But i always pack a rain coat with a hood now for emergencies.
Likes For Gconan:
Old 07-02-21, 01:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Don't stop when your wet if you can avoid it, once you stop making heat from your effort you're going to get chilled. Almost always better to keep moving.
Old 07-04-21, 09:32 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Chrome waterproof socks are a bit expensive, but are truly waterproof. So are the Chrome waterproof gloves. I have two Chrome waterproof jackets (an eVent and a lightweight one) and both have various vents that make the ride fairly tolerable.

If you get a jacket, underarm vents should be a priority.
Old 07-11-21, 01:43 AM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
If you are the type that appreciates a laterally stiff and vertically compliant frame you should definitely seek out and wear a waterproof yet breathable lightweight rain jacket.
Otherwise, keep your feet as dry as possible and enjoy the rain in warm weather
lol, this cracked me up
Old 07-13-21, 03:18 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
A breathable, waterproof, and light vest is a good idea to keep your core dry, and you can open up the zipper for more ventilation.

I haven't found a workable solution for wet feet yet, and I've tried many things. Even if you wear waterproof shoe covers, the rain will enter your shoes your legs. There is no solution for this unless you want to be wearing waterproof tights that go over the top of your shoe covers.

A pair of SPD sandals might be the ticket for rain rides.

A shower cap, or waterproof helmet cover works well to keep rain off your head and face, and especially if you haven't washed your helmet in a while. You'll appreciate the salt not washing down into your eyes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.