Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

question for velodrome.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 08:52 PM
bobbyl1966

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
question for velodrome.

What is the difference between track and velodrome. How do you learn ride bike with no brakes. In the city i live have open velodrome i have two road bikes with gears i want go ride in the velodrome see how is. Is allowed bikes with gears and brakes or that palces is just for bikes made for velodrome or track. No gears and no brakes. And how do you deside or know what size crank and cog you put in your bikes
Old 09-16-14, 09:29 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A track is a song on an album. If you put your CD player on random, it will play a random track for example.

I would ask the people at the local velodrome what kind of bike they allow. They may have bikes you can borrow. All velodromes all over the world have different rules and speeds. See if they have an introductory class you can take.
Old 09-16-14, 09:54 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbyl1966
What is the difference between track and velodrome. How do you learn ride bike with no brakes. In the city i live have open velodrome i have two road bikes with gears i want go ride in the velodrome see how is. Is allowed bikes with gears and brakes or that palces is just for bikes made for velodrome or track. No gears and no brakes. And how do you deside or know what size crank and cog you put in your bikes
In what city do you live?
Does that velodrome have a website? Usually rules and classes are posted there.

There is no difference between a "velodrome" and a "track". "Velodrome" is French. "Track" is German.
Old 09-16-14, 10:04 PM
bobbyl1966

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Atlanta ga. The velodrome called dicklane. the website is The Dick Lane Velodrome. I not see ionfo for what bikes can use. I see the fee is $5. i see have email i write tommorow and ask info about the bikes can use or i go in person one day and ask.
Old 09-16-14, 10:05 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by carleton
There is no difference between a "velodrome" and a "track". "Velodrome" is French. "Track" is German.
To clarify...in this context (among Trackies) "velodrome" and "track" mean the same thing. In the broader world, a velodrome is a specific type of track like an orange is a specific kind of fruit.

There are obviously other kinds of track:
- Auto race tracks
- Athletics tracks
- Go-cart tracks
- Inline skating tracks
- etc...

So to people who participate in those activities, "track" means something different to them.
Old 09-16-14, 10:12 PM
carleton
Elitist

I live in Atlanta ga. The velodrome called dicklane. the website is The Dick Lane Velodrome. I not see ionfo for what bikes can use. I see the fee is $5. i see have email i write tommorow and ask info about the bikes can use or i go in person one day and ask.
Ha! Were you at DLV tonight? I was there. I was the fabulous lap counter dude.

I wrote some of the information in the DLV website. Look closely.

Certification Classes | The Dick Lane Velodrome
FAQ | The Dick Lane Velodrome

Keep an eye out for a fall certification class. There is an email address on that page. Email Brian and ask when he's hosting the next class.

You definitely cannot ride a road bike on the DLV track.
Although the track has an open gate, you must complete the beginner's course, sign a waver, and pay a small fee to train there.
The gate is unlocked because neighbors walk around the apron for exercise.
Old 09-16-14, 10:14 PM
carleton
Elitist

There is racing tomorrow night and next Tuesday and Wednesday nights, then that is the end of the racing season. I'd suggest that you come and watch and see the fun before the season ends.
Old 09-16-14, 10:26 PM
bobbyl1966

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you for the info. I do want watch the race. Thank you for you tell me i cant use road bike in the velodrome. Do you rent bikes. The class and learn i want do that. I really want learn to ride bike with no brakes and how do people deside what size crank and cog is good for the velodrome.
Old 09-16-14, 11:25 PM
Tman1965

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahja, wirklich? Wenn ich mich so recht entsinne, nennt sich der "Track" "Radrennbahn". And according to
Originally Posted by Merriam Webster;
Origin of TRACK
Middle English trak, from Middle French trac
First Known Use: 15th century
even track has french origin.
And considering that the Brits had her their first "track", ehm I meant velodrome, in 1868 and the first "Radrennbahn", I meant "track", in Germany was built in 1880, the word "track" must be German. or was it the other way round? I'm confused now, but German and also in ATL.
Old 09-17-14, 02:13 AM
carleton
Elitist

thank you for the info. I do want watch the race. Thank you for you tell me i cant use road bike in the velodrome. Do you rent bikes. The class and learn i want do that. I really want learn to ride bike with no brakes and how do people deside what size crank and cog is good for the velodrome.
The bike will be provided in the beginner classes. But you will eventually have to purchase your own. Please email Brian for details.

Originally Posted by Tman1965
Ahja, wirklich? Wenn ich mich so recht entsinne, nennt sich der "Track" "Radrennbahn". And according to
even track has french origin.
And considering that the Brits had her their first "track", ehm I meant velodrome, in 1868 and the first "Radrennbahn", I meant "track", in Germany was built in 1880, the word "track" must be German. or was it the other way round? I'm confused now, but German and also in ATL.
Before it was the Frech "trac" or "traquer" it was the Low German/Dutch "trek"

Old 09-17-14, 04:57 AM
Tman1965

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before it was the Frech "trac" or "traquer" it was the Low German/Dutch "trek"

Source? You know the science game

All I can find says "possibly" or "perhaps" like your image, not too too much for a claim. Even Centre National de Ressources Textuelles et Lexicales, which should be the authority, do not agree. They find the proposed Dutch origin (Diez) not so likely for reasons of geography and first appearance. But then again French are notorious for not accepting any external influences when it comes to their language... and Germans are anal... Americans are...
Anybody here with prejudices?
Old 09-17-14, 08:39 AM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is only one dictionary on the internet that matters

Urban Dictionary: Track
Old 09-17-14, 02:15 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Tman1965
Source? You know the science game

All I can find says "possibly" or "perhaps" like your image, not too too much for a claim. Even Centre National de Ressources Textuelles et Lexicales, which should be the authority, do not agree. They find the proposed Dutch origin (Diez) not so likely for reasons of geography and first appearance. But then again French are notorious for not accepting any external influences when it comes to their language... and Germans are anal... Americans are...
Anybody here with prejudices?
My source
Old 09-17-14, 03:21 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
OED: Etymology: < Old French trac (1440 in Hatzfeld and Darmesteter), traq, French trac: ulterior derivation uncertain, but generally thought to be from Germanic. Diez and Scheler would connect it with Middle Low German and Dutch treck , trek draught, drawing, pull, line drawn, etc., < trecken , trekken to draw, pull, tug, drag, haul (in Middle Dutch rarely tracken ): see track v.2
Old 09-17-14, 03:33 PM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sticky?