Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Now This is a Maddeningly Light Sentence

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Now This is a Maddeningly Light Sentence

Old 02-20-19, 04:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Let's move away from the "racism" angle. There is no direct evidence ... but for the conspiracy theorists, a lack of evidence the the best evidence .... so no point in debating.

Those iof us who have seen prejudice in action up close and personal and also at a slight remove, don't need to exaggerate or imagine ... but you cannot fix what's wrong by misdiagnosis.
Old 02-20-19, 05:50 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
A white kid confessing to murdering a brown man and getting a two year sentence because <reasons> is institutional racism.
Pointing out institutional racism is not racist.
Thinking it's more acceptable for someone to be murdered because they were out on bail awaiting sentencing for another crime? I'm not sure what kind of misguided rationalization to call that.
By the standard that you just set up here, the institutional racism is against the white kid. Your brown 51 yo man beat a woman so bad, she almost died. The brown man got out of jail awaiting sentencing. The white 18 yo teenager engaged in vigilante justice, was promptly arrested and bail was set high enough that he did not get out of jail while awaiting trial.
Lukone was booked into jail on suspicion of attempted second-degree murder, reckless. He remains jailed on $100,000 bond.
Additionally there were other circumstances considered by the judge that you have chosen to ignore.
Judge Rose ruled that Lukone was barely 18 at the time of the crime, doesn’t have a substantial criminal history and accepted responsibility for his actions.

Assistant District Attorney Andrew Davidson argued to the court that there are no substantial and compelling reasons to depart. Davidson said Lukone earned the 13-year sentence.

Defense Attorney Shannon Crane noted that Lukone had been evaluated and it was determined that he suffered from PTSD. She said Lukone was upset because Lopez had beaten his mother and was let out of jail.
Old 02-20-19, 06:14 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
While we are stereotyping entire nations, let me ask what happened to our Irish friend. Did he pass out drunk?
Old 02-20-19, 09:12 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Assertion: institutional racism in Kansas (USA). Evidence: white guy gets 2 year jail sentence for admitted murder of brown man on bike. QED
The person was run over/murdered because he beat a woman with a lead pipe. Not because he was brown.
But you ofc don’t understand that lol.
With absolutely no first hand knowledge at all of the case you are clearly inferring that the killer would not have avenged his mom if the person that BEAT HER WITH A LEAD PIPE was white
Old 02-21-19, 02:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Or maybe if he had painted the pipe white? This is so tricky ....

While I would not be unhappy if the guy had gotten a longer sentence, in terms of the vast anf much worse injustices happening every day, this one is not hard to swallow.

if the guy hadn't been riding a bicycle none of us would have heard about this. if the kid had run down the guy while he was walking, we would have had a vastly different initial impression.

As it stands, I am not real sorry that there is one less woman-beater on the streets. And since ht driver clearly Only committed the crime (a serious crime, to be sure) to remove a woman-beater who abused his mother, from the population ... i am fairly certain that he will not re-offend.

Since there is nothing I can do to change any of this, I will simply accept it. There are a Lot worse things happening all the time anyway ... swallowing this one will not be that hard.
Old 02-21-19, 08:18 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts

As for the crime, I can only hope this person never drives again.
Old 02-21-19, 11:46 AM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Since this thread is already way off topic....we should probably make it a helmet thread as well. Here is the perps car that I was able to find on a news site.

Old 02-21-19, 11:49 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
While we are stereotyping entire nations, let me ask what happened to our Irish friend. Did he pass out drunk?
I'm Irish, and not offended by ^this. Try harder!
Old 02-21-19, 04:24 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I'm Irish, and not offended by ^this. Try harder!
I don't get offended by redneck jokes. Hell, sometimes they give me some good ideas.
Old 02-27-19, 08:57 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
KAKE.com | Wichita, Kansas News, Weather, Sports - Hutchinson man sentenced in killing of cyclist

The young punk weaponized his vehicle and purposefully ran over the cyclist. How is that any different from using a firearm to kill someone? This one is a head scratcher.
Say what? Two-years for a murder? What was that judge thinking? That driver should be in jail for a LONG time and this judge needs to be removed from both the bench and the bar.
Old 02-28-19, 05:02 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Say what? Two-years for a murder? What was that judge thinking? That driver should be in jail for a LONG time and this judge needs to be removed from both the bench and the bar.
Did you read the whole thread?
Old 02-28-19, 08:16 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Did you not read in my first post after being gone for so long that I do NOT have RELIABLE access to The Internet? Plus for reasons that I have already explained in the past, and that I do not feel like going over again. I read and reply to posts in order.
Old 02-28-19, 08:59 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Because my Internet connection is more stable this morning, I've been able to read more of the thread. And I agree with those who have said that NO matter what the cyclist was accused of having done. It does NOT excuse the young mans actions. This is/was NOT a case of self-defense or even defense of another. This is/was a case of murder.

In the society that we live in we have rules/laws, and part of that is that we are NOT allowed to take the law into our own hands. And I stand by my initial response. This individual needs to spend a lot more time behind bars, and the judge who handed out such a light sentence needs be removed from the bench and the bar.
Old 02-28-19, 01:10 PM
Maelochs

@Digital_Cowboy, you sound like a very angry person. Hard to tell over the internet.

In any case, glad to have another BF vet (and U.S. vet) back posting.
Old 02-28-19, 02:14 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
A little investigation shows that the victim was out on bail awaiting sentencing of r beating the young driver's mother. The young driver was out with a friend getting cigarette and saw the older man riding on the street and decided to get "justice" for himself.

While that does not excuse the actions, it does provide much-needed context. This was not a case of some racist punk deciding to snuff out some "mud person" on a whim. This was a case of an teenager with poor impulse control and a bad temper acting out.

Still deserves a stiffer sentence. Vigilantism is not acceptable... and anyone who chooses to do the crime, should have to do the time.

Man admits to intentionally running down Hutchinson cyclist - News - The Hutchinson News - Hutchinson, KS

Lukone gets 2 years for 2nd-degree murder conviction

KAKE.com | Wichita, Kansas News, Weather, Sports - Driver charged with murder in death of Hutchinson bicycle rider
Actually, it does not. It may satisfy a curiosity, but in fact, its totally irrelevant to the crimes committed: 1) Murder, and 2) vigilantism. A weak DA if I ever saw one.
Old 02-28-19, 09:28 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Actually, it does not. It may satisfy a curiosity, but in fact, its totally irrelevant to the crimes committed: 1) Murder, and 2) vigilantism. A weak DA if I ever saw one.
I agree with you fully. This person needs to spend a LONG time behind bars for what he did. Also the judge should not have ignored the sentencing guidelines either.
Old 02-28-19, 09:35 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
@Digital_Cowboy, you sound like a very angry person. Hard to tell over the internet.

In any case, glad to have another BF vet (and U.S. vet) back posting.
Actually, no I'm not. It's just that cases like this bother me.
Old 03-01-19, 04:12 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
I agree with you fully. This person needs to spend a LONG time behind bars for what he did. Also the judge should not have ignored the sentencing guidelines either.
They both got what they deserved.
This country needs a little more frontier justice these days and a lot less constitutional whining.
Old 03-01-19, 05:04 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
This story is only relevant to cyclists that already have or intend to beat someone nearly to death with a pipe. I'm good.
Old 03-01-19, 06:58 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
This guy gives really the lead pipe industry a bad name. Not fair to them.
Old 03-01-19, 11:38 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
This country needs a little more frontier justice these days and a lot less constitutional whining.

I'll pass. I'm quite happy with the whining. Teaching civics to kids in school is a good idea as well so they will grow up to whine about the right things.
Old 03-01-19, 12:29 PM
Maelochs

Teaching civics to kids in school is a good idea as well so they will grow up to whine about the right things.
This, over and over. I hate to agree with @JoeyBike ( ) but this is So horribly lacking. I cannot count how many times I have heard idiots blurt out "I know my rights" when they can barely spell "U.S.A." without consulting their "smart" phones, which they are all too dumb to actually use.

We don't have a perfect system, but if used properly, it could be a pretty darned good system ... but if the users are cheats and idiots, no system will work. Thing is, the idiots blame the system, and not the idiots and the cheats. Maybe if people had a clue how things Could work and were Designed to work, they'd spend their energy Making things work instead of whining because everyone else doesn't do everything to make those whiners happy all the time.

Or Maybe we need to develop a virus that attacks stupid and dishonest people .....

Oh, sorry this was supposed to be about bicycles.

I plan to ride my bike later this evening.
Old 03-01-19, 01:27 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

...I hate to agree with @JoeyBike ( ) ...
OK, my day has been MADE. I finally won the Internet for one day.
Old 03-01-19, 10:20 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

They both got what they deserved.
And what happens when the person that is the subject of your "frontier justice" turns out to be totally innocent? You are aware that sadly the legal system far too often convicts innocent people of crimes that they did NOT commit, and even worse have been convicted of crimes that NEVER happened in the first place.

We have the Constitution for a reason, and that reason is to protect the RIGHTS of EVERYONE. The ACCUSED as well as the INNOCENT.
Old 03-01-19, 10:22 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll pass. I'm quite happy with the whining. Teaching civics to kids in school is a good idea as well so they will grow up to whine about the right things.
As much as it pains me to do so, but I have to agree with Joey Bike. Something that does not happen all that often.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.