Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

First KOM!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-17, 12:48 PM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like to use Strava to compare my previous efforts of the same segments. It gives me a more concrete way of tracking my own abilities. Awhile back I set out for a KOM on a 3/4 mile circuit loop around a lake and I took it, only to lose it by a second the next week. The next week I went back feeling stronger and push my limits much harder than I did before and took KOM back by over 6 seconds. I probably would've never pushed myself that hard if not for Chasing the KOM, and I am glad I did!

Who cares if someone "chases a KOM", they are still riding their bikes and bettering themselves. KOM's give you something to chase and track your progress even if you never reach the top.

Oh, and I am pretty sure Strava doesn't allow segments to be created on downhill segments, or if segments pose a certain danger to riders. They become hidden segments that do not have a Top list.
Old 09-01-17, 12:54 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,984 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Is it REALLY a race if not everyone knows they're racing? I feel like this is a story of a guy who was passed everyday on his way home from work by a really fast cyclist. He works very hard for months throughout the summer and one day, instead of being passed, HE passed the guy instead. He beats him to the next light and feels extremely powerful. Then, at the light he sees the guy start his watch as the light turns green, seemingly starting his ride or interval. Turns out the guy he's been trying to pass was on a recovery leg of his favorite workout.

Is the guy who passed the fast cyclist on his recovery leg faster than the fast cyclist? Did the guy "win" the race?

No. He didn't. There was no race.

KOM's don't really make sense. Far too affected by the weather. No one will ever get a KOM without a tailwind, so if that's the case, then what's the point?

If you want to race, GO RACE. On a fair field, on the same day, on the same course. KOM hunters are simply shy people who know that if they manipulate their cards JUST right, they can have something to brag about. I won't get into why people NEED something to brag about now-a-day.
Well I guess people brag cause it's fun and stirs up other people. I mean you did do that in your earlier post, whether you meant to or not. And I quote "Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not slow. I'm in the top 10 for most of the KOMs I ride, but I'm not going to sit there and try to get the top spot over and over and again and I'm certainly not going to ride directly to a specific KOM with the intention on getting the top spot. That's not the point."
Old 09-01-17, 12:58 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,984 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraManDan
I like to use Strava to compare my previous efforts of the same segments. It gives me a more concrete way of tracking my own abilities. Awhile back I set out for a KOM on a 3/4 mile circuit loop around a lake and I took it, only to lose it by a second the next week. The next week I went back feeling stronger and push my limits much harder than I did before and took KOM back by over 6 seconds. I probably would've never pushed myself that hard if not for Chasing the KOM, and I am glad I did!

Who cares if someone "chases a KOM", they are still riding their bikes and bettering themselves. KOM's give you something to chase and track your progress even if you never reach the top.

Oh, and I am pretty sure Strava doesn't allow segments to be created on downhill segments, or if segments pose a certain danger to riders. They become hidden segments that do not have a Top list.
Actually, they do. Out here we have descents out of the mountains where you can hit 55 mph or better. Just another form of improving by seeing how fast of an average you can get. Body position and such because critical at those speeds, tuck elbows, point toes, dont kiss the handlbars with your chin, etc.

All great fun!

But yeah I"m with you. It's a tool like so many others. I love how some folks here are getting all worked up about it.
Old 09-01-17, 01:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have lots of KOMs... on private segments. If I made 'em public I'd immediately drop to the middle of the pack where I belong. The fastest local riders are consistently twice my speed on climbs and a third faster on flat segments. Downhills mostly depend on wind assist.

The private segments are just to chart my interval training progress. They're conveniently spaced half-mile long 2% grades, just far enough apart for recovery time between uphill sprints. One of those segments is public and as usual I'm solidly middle of the pack. These are all sheltered by trees, houses and terrain so there's little wind influence from ride to ride.

I do have a KOM on one public segment but that's only because none of the faster riders has bothered to ride there. And I'm within a few tenths of Lance Armstrong's times on some local segments when he participated in Mellow Johnny's sponsored rides. But even our local mayor is faster than I am, so that's not saying much.

All of the local legit flat and downhill KOMs (not someone forgetting to turn off Strave while in a car, or drafting a motor vehicle), and a few climbs, that are disproportionately faster than most are wind assisted. Timing is everything. Pick a day with favorable wind and go KOM hunting. A popular nearby downhill segment is easy to do at 25-30 mph, but the 44 mph KOM is impossible without a wind assist.

And there are some tricky wind funnels, terrain where the segment may appear to be with the wind, but the terrain whips the prevailing wind around so it's actually in your face or from the sides through some difficult short but steep roller coaster climbs. My best times on those segments are on my upright hybrid, rather than the road bike, because I was sailing with the wind on a brisk spring day.

I'd like to chart some short steep climbs -- there are several in the 6%-11% range -- but Strava requires a 0.2 mile minimum distance and some of these climbs are only 50-100 yards. GPS can't track those reliably anyway, so I may get a bike computer just for those. They're fun for all out sprints of 10 seconds or so. I rarely manage a 30 second maximum effort sprint without turning to jello.
Old 09-01-17, 01:43 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Have you noticed that people who swear they don't care about KOMs sure do seem to care about KOMs?

As far as I'm concerned, a KOM is an accomplishment, regardless of whether you are the only rider who ever rode the segment or whether you outran the entire TdF peloton with a tailwind. Nobody's giving away new bikes for KOMs, and it doesn't cost you a penny if someone takes your KOM. They're just there to challenge yourself.

If the existence of KOMs is interfering with your enjoyment, then the problem is with you, not Strava, the KOM, or anyone else.

And once again - congrats to the OP. You set a goal and accomplished something. Good job.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 09-01-17 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-01-17, 02:00 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Bucket list item: checked.
Old 09-01-17, 02:02 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Also, the top riders in popular Socal segments didn't get there on whim.

One could argue they're more meaningful than live races due to the size of the virtual field.
Old 09-01-17, 05:49 PM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraManDan

I feel like you're one of the few people who understood my post. https://www.strava.com/segments/15768138?filter=overall Here you go for the degenerates that are bashing this thread. Trying to beat someone who was riding a segment competitively, who isn't much faster than me isn't wrong in my eyes. If it is to you, screw you. This one https://www.strava.com/segments/10527606?filter=overall I usually hit after at least 75% of my ride, and I'm #4. Don't disrespect other people's efforts just because you don't think it matters. I was just happy with myself for being 1st in something for the first time in my life.
Old 09-01-17, 05:56 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by evan326
Here you go for the degenerates that are bashing this thread.
Degenerates. That's harsh. And frankly not seeing things the way you see it doesn't constitute bashing. Folks are just voicing their opinions. Lots of people gave you congrats and kudos. Not everyone, but what did you expect anyway?
Old 09-01-17, 06:14 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Making a segment and KOMing it is awesome, and just ignore the downers. I did the same thing for my commute, and held the KOM on it for a long time - mainly because there's a left turn that you'll almost never catch green. I'm back by a few seconds now, but if I do happen to catch that green and have Strava running you bet I'm trying for my KOM again.
Old 09-01-17, 08:54 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Degenerates. That's harsh. And frankly not seeing things the way you see it doesn't constitute bashing. Folks are just voicing their opinions. Lots of people gave you congrats and kudos. Not everyone, but what did you expect anyway?
I think "haters" would have been a better description. Honestly I think BF is mostly full of old people who don't like anything new. I'm surprised they managed to even figure out how to use the computer to create an account here.
Old 09-01-17, 09:02 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

There's one on my long way home commute I tried to get for a few months.

I was up to 2 I think but couldn't quite shave another couple seconds...

It's fun.
Old 09-01-17, 10:46 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I have one, one that I created on a section of road that I ride often and enjoy pushing myself to see how my best efforts improve. There is 41 other riders on the leader board (which makes it pretty heavily traveled in my area). I have the KOM by a full 10 seconds at 3:46 but the reality of it is I know probably a dozen of the other riders and KNOW they are a lot faster than me. The second place guy was on a century ride that day that he completed at a higher average speed than I've ever managed.

It's cool to have the 1 KOM but I know it means nothing.
Old 09-03-17, 07:13 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Is it REALLY a race if not everyone knows they're racing? I feel like this is a story of a guy who was passed everyday on his way home from work by a really fast cyclist. He works very hard for months throughout the summer and one day, instead of being passed, HE passed the guy instead. He beats him to the next light and feels extremely powerful. Then, at the light he sees the guy start his watch as the light turns green, seemingly starting his ride or interval. Turns out the guy he's been trying to pass was on a recovery leg of his favorite workout.

KOM's don't really make sense. Far too affected by the weather. No one will ever get a KOM without a tailwind, so if that's the case, then what's the point?

If you want to race, GO RACE. On a fair field, on the same day, on the same course. KOM hunters are simply shy people who know that if they manipulate their cards JUST right, they can have something to brag about. I won't get into why people NEED something to brag about now-a-day.
I have 14 pages of KOMs. I'm also a Cat 1.

Nearly every KOM in my area is owned by Cat 1s and 2s. Sometimes we go hunting for each others' KOMs for a workout and a laugh. But we also win real bike races, too.

KOMs make a lot of sense, and that's why the fastest people usually have them.

Doesn't seem like you really know what you're talking about.
Old 09-03-17, 07:28 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
Honestly I think BF is mostly full of old people who don't like anything new. I'm surprised they managed to even figure out how to use the computer to create an account here.
You mean "old farts," and I'm inclined to agree with you. It's amazing how many arguments you'll see over something as simple as riding a bicycle, especially over in the A&S forum.
Old 09-03-17, 01:18 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
To the OP, nice job! I got into Strava a couple months ago but have yet to nab a KOM. I understand where you come from, I do a 17 or 20 mile circuit daily after work, and I'm no where near a professional rider but am lucky enough to be in strong shape from my manual labor job. On my loop there's a few good climbs that I'm either #2 or in the top 5.

I ride a higher end mid 90s steel bike, and those fast rascals riding high end carbon on Strava are hard to get on the flats, but I get an absolute kick out of tying them or beating them on the climbs You can't buy your way to a fast climb I say, it's all about the engine

Of course there's my one favorite climb that a fast rider on carbon has 9 seconds on me. That's when it gets really fun, pacing yourself against a professional on a high end bike.

The coolest part of Strava imo is how you can see what others do just for that day. The worst part of Strava is that it really, really makes me want a high end bike
Old 09-05-17, 09:20 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I don't know about where you live but the riders I see on the segments I ride are neither imaginary nor unknown. They're actual riders. And it doesn't really matter if the KOM was set on a tailwind day, or on a group ride, or both. The top riders are always known as strong riders and they'd be known as strong riders even if Strava didn't exist.
Well enjoy then if that's your thing. I 'll be on the ebike with soooo many kom's. # winning.
Old 04-03-19, 12:25 AM
Stebo81

Bikes: Cervelo R5, BMC Team Machine SLR01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
There is nothing like the feeling of getting first kom isnt it?
I still remember mine, It just popped up one day on my strava. I clicked to see what this kom was all about and now i'm hooked!

It's like a whole new world of competitive cycling in my local area i didnt even know existed.
Old 04-03-19, 12:32 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Meh. I think KOMs are a bunch of hogwash because people do exactly what you did. Warm up JUST to get the KOM, and that's not what it's there for.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not slow. I'm in the top 10 for most of the KOMs I ride, but I'm not going to sit there and try to get the top spot over and over and again and I'm certainly not going to ride directly to a specific KOM with the intention on getting the top spot. That's not the point.
Please enlighten us. What is the point, as you seem to be the authority on KOM’s.
Old 04-03-19, 12:38 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

Is the guy who passed the fast cyclist on his recovery leg faster than the fast cyclist? Did the guy "win" the race?

Terrible analogy. A segment is a known point of competition. A random rider you come upon on the road is not.
Sounds like you have personal experience though racing against people that don’t know you are racing them.
Old 04-03-19, 06:58 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
You all realize you can create your own segments but mark them as private ? That way you can still track your progress and have something to train with, but didn't create a segment just for the jolly of bagging a KOM. I keep many private because I only go to that area to do intervals and don't want a bunch of slower non-interval rides of mine clogging up the trend chart.

I can admit to the following shady tactics:
-sticking my tongue whetted finger in the wind before a "hunting" ride
-using my time trial training rides as KOM hunts
-despising KOMs won by pacelines or big groups (I'll hunt that with the TT bike)
-My favorite: being on a group ride knowing we pass by one of my KOMs, I will intentionally sandbag the group pace and not lead anyone out

There's a popular in-town longer roadie segment that's about 8 minutes long that local racers have from a group ride. I'm out to bag it using the TT bike riding by myself.

The unofficial level of how "******" your KOM is:

Worst to Best: weighted by duration and elevation gain
-Self created, 50 or less people
-Self created, 500 or more people
-MUP KOM with a group
-MUP KOM solo
-500 or more
-1000 or more
-5000 or more
-10k+
-Beat a pro
-Beat Phil Gaimon
-Beat the doped times up Alp d' Huez
Old 04-03-19, 09:27 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts

It's not a race, but so what? It's still an accomplishment.
Old 04-03-19, 09:28 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
To the OP, you set yourself a cycling goal and achieved it. Good Job. All anyone can do is hope to improve at his or her craft.
To all who belittle his or her accomplishment, disparaging someone's achievement doesn't magnify yours.
Well said!
Old 04-03-19, 12:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
You all realize you can create your own segments but mark them as private ? That way you can still track your progress and have something to train with, but didn't create a segment just for the jolly of bagging a KOM. I keep many private because I only go to that area to do intervals and don't want a bunch of slower non-interval rides of mine clogging up the trend chart.

I can admit to the following shady tactics:
-sticking my tongue whetted finger in the wind before a "hunting" ride
-using my time trial training rides as KOM hunts
-despising KOMs won by pacelines or big groups (I'll hunt that with the TT bike)
-My favorite: being on a group ride knowing we pass by one of my KOMs, I will intentionally sandbag the group pace and not lead anyone out

There's a popular in-town longer roadie segment that's about 8 minutes long that local racers have from a group ride. I'm out to bag it using the TT bike riding by myself.

The unofficial level of how "******" your KOM is:

Worst to Best: weighted by duration and elevation gain
-Self created, 50 or less people
-Self created, 500 or more people
-MUP KOM with a group
-MUP KOM solo
-500 or more
-1000 or more
-5000 or more
-10k+
-Beat a pro
-Beat Phil Gaimon
-Beat the doped times up Alp d' Huez
How would you rate this KOM? Part of an Amgen stage, so many pro riders.
Old 04-03-19, 12:26 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
How would you rate this KOM? Part of an Amgen stage, so many pro riders.
I forgot to award bonus points for beating a peloton/group KOM. A peloton/group KOM by a pro event would definitely garner a multiplier.

Just remember, if it was a little 1/4 mile long flat segment the score would be weighted down some by the distance (sorry sprinters).

I've a few in town, none of them are impressive. One at maybe 400 for two minutes or so. One at over 400 for 90 seconds. That's my entire workout ruined for one try. For just a pitiful 2 to 4 minute hit. That's a warmup for some other people, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.