Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Looking for Bike #2 for Rougher Surfaces

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 08:04 PM
Boatdriver

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3, Trek Domane SL 5 Gravel, Salsa Cutthroat 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I had been a road biker until a couple years ago when I bought a carbon Trek Domane (700x35). I ride with my wife on rail/trails and do some credit card touring. I also dabble in Olympic tris and cx. I have since started doing some gravel events which include some double track fire roads and a bit of single track. I find I am getting beat up on the Domane, often feeling I am on the edge of control while descending rough gravel and have started looking for a more appropriate bike. I would also like to do some limited bike packing (not across Tajikistan or anything).

I will be keeping the Domane for the rail/trail and road type stuff, but wondering what to consider for a second bike that would be better for the more demanding riding described above. I rode the Salsa Cutthroat on some smooth gravel and liked the comfort and stability there, but couldn’t really ride it on rough stuff. That is the leading contender in my search. The Flaanimal looks interesting, but don’t know of any local dealers (Virginia, US) to test ride it. Also looked at Niner RLT (Steel or RDO), but that is a little out of my price range. I am hesitant to go with a bike that only support 700x45, thinking that would be too close to the Domane. Am I right, or does the increase from 35 to 45 along with geometry changes make a big difference? Thoughts on what to consider? Budget in the low $3K range.
Old 03-27-20, 11:14 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Do you have a photo of the "rough gravel"? Sometimes this type of terrain is just better on a mountain bike.

For a gravel bike, I'd look for one that can fit 50-60mm tires, at least in the front, to give you more riding options.
Likes For katsup:
Old 03-28-20, 07:12 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I think the difference between 35mm and 45mm is huge, at least for the kind of gravel I seem to encounter. Will wider help even more? I agree with Katsup, it’s a hard question to answer without seeing what sort of roads you ride. For where I ride, I’d say not much.

Still, I think a cutthroat would likely work for almost anything considered an actual “road”...they are common enough here in Kansas. If you’re going to be doing frequent, really rough, fast descents, you could opt for something with front suspension, but barring that it’s a great versatile bike. I know the one I tried out last fall came with 2.2s, and I think they can go even wider. If you decide you don’t need that wide, you could always put some narrower tires on.
Likes For wheelsmcgee:
Old 03-28-20, 09:39 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
If a Cutthroat, with 29x2.4 tires max width is not enough, I recommend you consider the Trek 1120, a 29 Plus bike. I love riding mine on gravel forest service roads, as gravel of most any size does not impede the rollover. Ruts are not a problem. The 29x3 stock Chupacabra tires do well on everything except pavement, on which they are slow.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 03-28-20, 10:52 AM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
The Cutthroat will accept a 100m suspension fork, 10 minutes to swap out for the original fork if you go gravel touring and need the attachment points
Likes For wsteve464:
Old 03-28-20, 12:48 PM
Boatdriver

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all the insights. I have been racing (near the back of the pack, but staying ahead of DFL) the stretches where I thought more bike would be useful, so not many pictures. I'm an older guy (63) and have never been on a mountain bike, so I feel more comfortable with staying with a drop bar. I like the suggestion of the Cutthroat, and if I keep going harder and rougher, popping in a suspension fork. I don't think it will get there because I have no issues walking past short rock gardens. Safely navigated the rocky stream crossing below on my Domane, but slowed down more than many of the others. (oops, won't let me post pictures yet)
Old 03-28-20, 12:54 PM
Boatdriver

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
If a Cutthroat, with 29x2.4 tires max width is not enough, I recommend you consider the Trek 1120, a 29 Plus bike. I love riding mine on gravel forest service roads, as gravel of most any size does not impede the rollover. Ruts are not a problem. The 29x3 stock Chupacabra tires do well on everything except pavement, on which they are slow.
Hadn't thought of a bike like that. Very interesting. Not sure I'm ready for flat bars, but if I get someplace where a Cutthroat is't doing it, I appreciate the suggestion of the 1120.
Old 03-28-20, 12:55 PM
Boatdriver

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Slow stream crossing.

Old 03-28-20, 02:40 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Boatdriver
Hadn't thought of a bike like that. Very interesting. Not sure I'm ready for flat bars, but if I get someplace where a Cutthroat is't doing it, I appreciate the suggestion of the 1120.
The stock bars have a sweep angle back of about 25 degrees, rather than the straight bars on most mtbs. I swapped them for some Jones bars and they are great. And I forgot to mention that you can ride some singletrack with the bike, if it's not too gnarly or technical. The bike has some adjustment in the rear dropout, for variable chain stay length, short to medium. The design is based on the Trek Stache and I love the way it climbs and corners.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 03-28-20, 05:32 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I'd say something that suppports 640b wheels for sure. Theer are a lot of choices.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 03-28-20, 07:01 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Waheela S Otso Cycles

Waheela S was designed from the ground up to be the most versatile gravel bike available. The first suspension-corrected gravel bike on the market, the
Waheela S can run a suspension or rigid fork. If you're riding terrain that requires suspension, you'll also need a frame with giant tire clearance. The Waheela S can fit up 29" x 2.1" or 700c/650b x 53mm tires
Likes For Gconan:
Old 03-29-20, 04:41 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I just bought a Cutthroat about 2 weeks ago, and in my opinion, it is virtually a light (22lb) hardtail mountain bike with drop bars. It’s very comfortable in rough stuff.
Good luck.

Likes For sarhog:
Old 03-30-20, 06:17 AM
Boatdriver

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Beautiful scenery, sarhog. Thanks for the recommendation.
Likes For Boatdriver:
Old 03-30-20, 09:58 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Add current model Diverge and Cannondale Slate to your list.
Likes For vinuneuro: