Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

NYT: 5 cyclists killed near Las Vegas

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

NYT: 5 cyclists killed near Las Vegas

Old 01-07-21, 05:28 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Your post if funny - but also really all wrong. You are confusing HIV and AIDS - not to mention SARS-CoV2 and COVID. And you are wrong about SARS-C0V2 as well.
Ok. Where is your correction? I'm willing to learn. I have quite a bit of microbiology under my belt so you can use big words and technical terms if you want.
Old 01-07-21, 11:39 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
SARS-CoV-2 is the virus that causes COVID-19 (COronoVirus Disease 2019). The virus itself is what kills people in that it is the over-active immune response and other physiological responses to the presence of the replicating virus that causes blood clots, organ failure, respiratory failure, viral pneumonia, etc.

HIV (Human Immuno-deficiency Virus) depletes helper T-cells and creates an environment in which other infectious diseases can thrive and kill the infected individual. That condition, AIDS (Acquired Immuno-Deficiency Syndrome), describes the collection of symptoms that are primarily caused by these other infectious agents. So it is in fact the syndrome that causes people to die. This is very clearly the case, because with a cocktail of reverse transcriptase inhibitors and protease inhibitors that prevent the virus from replicating but do not actually clear the patient of the virus, these HIV infected people can lead comparatively normal lives.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 01-07-21, 11:43 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Not exactly true. There is a reason cars have big windshields..
This is the key point. Glare of the sun, especially with a dirty windshield (inside or outside), makes the problem much worse than if you were driving into the sun with no glass in between you and the cyclist you are about to splatter.
Old 01-07-21, 11:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by jppe
I sure hope the prosecutor in this case is a good one. With the various opinions we’re demonstrating in this post I can only imagine what the defense will do in an attempt to create some doubt, less harsh sentence etc. That in itself would be a crime.
Focus on the meth.
Old 01-08-21, 04:30 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,345 Posts
It is important as cyclists to consider what we can do better with our interactions around vehicles 100x our size. And that is part of the discussion here.

Originally Posted by wgscott
Focus on the meth.
Yes, for prosecuting. One might allow small amounts of amphetamines or Ritalin to slide, perhaps revoking the CDL, and prohibiting driving any commercial vehicles. But, this guy apparently was tested with large amounts of Meth, and was likely injecting.

He claims to have used the day before, and may have been coming down off of a binge which would likely be the worst time to be on the road. Although, at this point we also don't know whether he is lying.

He may not see the light of day for many years.
Old 01-08-21, 04:22 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
It is important as cyclists to consider what we can do better with our interactions around vehicles 100x our size. And that is part of the discussion here.

Yes, for prosecuting. One might allow small amounts of amphetamines or Ritalin to slide, perhaps revoking the CDL, and prohibiting driving any commercial vehicles. But, this guy apparently was tested with large amounts of Meth, and was likely injecting.

He claims to have used the day before, and may have been coming down off of a binge which would likely be the worst time to be on the road. Although, at this point we also don't know whether he is lying.

He may not see the light of day for many years.
My trike and I weigh 220 pounds. I for one DO NOT argue with 4000 pound cars.
Old 01-09-21, 05:28 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by wgscott
SARS-CoV-2 is the virus that causes COVID-19 (COronoVirus Disease 2019). The virus itself is what kills people in that it is the over-active immune response and other physiological responses to the presence of the replicating virus that causes blood clots, organ failure, respiratory failure, viral pneumonia, etc.

HIV (Human Immuno-deficiency Virus) depletes helper T-cells and creates an environment in which other infectious diseases can thrive and kill the infected individual. That condition, AIDS (Acquired Immuno-Deficiency Syndrome), describes the collection of symptoms that are primarily caused by these other infectious agents. So it is in fact the syndrome that causes people to die. This is very clearly the case, because with a cocktail of reverse transcriptase inhibitors and protease inhibitors that prevent the virus from replicating but do not actually clear the patient of the virus, these HIV infected people can lead comparatively normal lives.
Thanks
Old 01-09-21, 07:56 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I drove from MS to LA late this afternoon. That section of I-10 runs east/west. At no time from 45 minutes before sunset to sunset would I have had any trouble seeing a cyclist ahead. My windshield was very dirty and the sun was anywhere from dead ahead to 10 degrees left of dead ahead. I placed the camera at the same height as my eyes. In other words, the camera fairly accurately depicts what I could see. I'd rate my vision as slightly better than each photo shows.

45 minutes before sunset.

30 minutes before sunset

15 minutes before sunset

So tell me where on the road a cyclist could be where the sun would obscure my ability to see them?

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 01-09-21 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-09-21, 07:58 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

This photo was about 20 minutes before sunset. This photo is the one where the sun was closest to dead ahead.

Old 01-09-21, 08:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,345 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I drove from MS to LA late this afternoon.
I hope that isn't driving from Mississippi to Los Angeles in an afternoon.

I can't discern the difference between your 30 min and 15 min photos. Same 3 vehicles ahead, from both directions?

Nonetheless, your first 3 photos prove your point that a cyclist that would be along the left shoulder would be difficult to see along the entire length of the shoulder. Of course in those photos the sun is more to the left.

And in the last photo, the right shoulder begins to wash out. There is a merge sign pole in the last photo that is difficult to see clearly. Likewise, a bicycle 100 feet in front of that merge sign might be invisible.

I can see the visor down in most of the photos.

As the sun descends further, it is possible it could become worse.

Also note the tree line that can give a significant benefit. It may well be different in places without a tree line.

The middle of your windshield looks clean as if it has recently rained. It is possible that parts of the Southwest haven't had significant rain for some time.
Old 01-09-21, 08:41 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

This is the 30 minute photo. I grabbed the wrong one previously.

Old 01-09-21, 08:45 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I hope that isn't driving from Mississippi to Los Angeles in an afternoon.

I can't discern the difference between your 30 min and 15 min photos. Same 3 vehicles ahead, from both directions?

Nonetheless, your first 3 photos prove your point that a cyclist that would be along the left shoulder would be difficult to see along the entire length of the shoulder. Of course in those photos the sun is more to the left.

And in the last photo, the right shoulder begins to wash out. There is a merge sign pole in the last photo that is difficult to see clearly. Likewise, a bicycle 100 feet in front of that merge sign might be invisible.

I can see the visor down in most of the photos.

As the sun descends further, it is possible it could become worse.

Also note the tree line that can give a significant benefit. It may well be different in places without a tree line.

The middle of your windshield looks clean as if it has recently rained. It is possible that parts of the Southwest haven't had significant rain for some time.
My windshild has a nasty layer of film on the inside. It's dirty.

Imagine a bicycle anywhere on the road where cars drive. Where on the road would it be that would make it difficult for you to see? Maybe make a mark so that I can understand.

The visor is down in all the photos. That's what visors are for,
Old 01-12-21, 06:35 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

My windshild has a nasty layer of film on the inside. It's dirty.

Imagine a bicycle anywhere on the road where cars drive. Where on the road would it be that would make it difficult for you to see? Maybe make a mark so that I can understand.

The visor is down in all the photos. That's what visors are for,
Notice the sun itself, then the glare off the tarmac, then the direct sunlight reflected off the near edge of your hood (or bonnet), then on the glass. If you pulled the visor down enough to cover the actual sun, which is what most people do, This leaves about 80 ft of visibility with three sources of reflected light still in the driver's eyes. 75 mph (no one drives the limit of course) but 75mph = 110 feet per second. Literally one second to see an object in the lane ahead, process this through the brain, determine that object is basically stationary, move a foot off the accelerator, move to the brake, apply the brake, then give the car time to actually stop. This is IF the driver notices the object the INSTANT it pops into view and has the reaction time of a stunt man.

See? (I adjusted your visor to hide the sun itself). It's just not that complicated. People mess up all the time.

BLAMO!

(I estimated the distance by standard stripe length = 10 feet, and the distance between stripes at 20 feet, which looks about right compared to the stripes)

Last edited by JoeyBike; 01-12-21 at 07:25 PM.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 01-12-21, 07:18 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
According to Jordan Alexander Barson, this was his view:

(High levels of meth may have altered his recollection.)

Please, please, why is the apologist still here?

Delete your account. “BLAMO!”

-mr. bill
Old 01-12-21, 10:30 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
My trike and I weigh 220 pounds. I for one DO NOT argue with 4000 pound cars.
I call that "letting the wookie win".
Old 01-13-21, 05:50 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Notice the sun itself, then the glare off the tarmac, then the direct sunlight reflected off the near edge of your hood (or bonnet), then on the glass. If you pulled the visor down enough to cover the actual sun, which is what most people do, This leaves about 80 ft of visibility with three sources of reflected light still in the driver's eyes. 75 mph (no one drives the limit of course) but 75mph = 110 feet per second. Literally one second to see an object in the lane ahead, process this through the brain, determine that object is basically stationary, move a foot off the accelerator, move to the brake, apply the brake, then give the car time to actually stop. This is IF the driver notices the object the INSTANT it pops into view and has the reaction time of a stunt man.

See? (I adjusted your visor to hide the sun itself). It's just not that complicated. People mess up all the time.

BLAMO!

(I estimated the distance by standard stripe length = 10 feet, and the distance between stripes at 20 feet, which looks about right compared to the stripes)

Your lack of driving experience is showing. It is substantially more than 80 feet to the truck ahead. How do you know how most people adjust their visors? I can honestly say that I have no idea how anyone else adjusts their visors. The bottom line is that neither of us know. I would assume most would adjust it so that the bottom edge of the visor is just below the sun, allowing a maximum field of view/sight distance. If most people are running the interstate into a rising or setting sun with an 80 foot line of sight, I think the accident rate would be higher than it is. Even with the number of idiot drivers out there, my instincts tell me they are not limiting their field of view anywhere near that much.

Touching on your first comment about 3 sources of reflected light. Well, mark a place on the road where a bicyclist would be where you couldn't see them. The presence of a reflection doesn't render them invisible. If a cyclist was right where the reflection is on the road, they'd still be visible.

The bottom line that driving into the last 45 minutes of a setting sun with a dirty windshield did NOT obscure my view of the road in a manner that would impair my ability to see a bicyclist. A driver that says "I didn't see them because of the sun" is lying. If they didn't see the cyclist, it is because they can't drive worth a crap or weren't paying attention. The sun is an excuse, not a reason.

A wet dirty windshield going into the first or last 30 minutes can be an issue. But the conditions that find a windshield wet while the sun is out is largely limited to the first few minutes a driver is heading into a sunrise.

Edited to add: Your default mindset on these accidents, if the sun is anywhere from 3-4 hours from rising or setting, is to suggest the sun was likely in the drivers eye. If "most" drivers adjust the visor to give themselves an 80 foot long sight distance, then wouldn't it be more accurate to suggest that the driver likely had the visor adjusted incorrectly rather than the sun was in their eyes?

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 01-13-21 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-10-21, 03:20 AM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
'Truck Driver Who Killed 5 Cyclists Is Sentenced to 40 Years'
'A truck driver who was under the influence of methamphetamine when he slammed into a group of bicyclists, killing five, on a Nevada highway in December was sentenced on Wednesday to 40 years in prison, a prosecutor said.
The driver, Jordan Alexander Barson, 45, will be eligible for parole after 16 years in prison
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/u...ts-nevada.html
You can right-click on the link, save the file, read your copy
Old 06-10-21, 06:16 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody

Considering the defendant pled guilty and struck a deal, 40 years is a pretty good sentence. Even if he does make parole after 16 years, he will be missing his highest earning years in the workforce, and that will screw his social security benefits. His life is effectively over regardless of whether he stays in prison.
Old 06-10-21, 12:22 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Delete your account. “BLAMO!”
-mr. bill
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave -
The Eagles

Ever try to delete your BF account? Please post the steps if you know how.
Old 06-10-21, 12:40 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Ever try to delete your BF account? Please post the steps if you know how.
You can't delete your account. You can, however, log off and never log back in.

Old 06-10-21, 09:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
You can't delete your account. You can, however, log off and never log back in.
Honestly, I think that should have been done for him when he started this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...too-badly.html
Old 06-11-21, 11:48 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Honestly, I think that should have been done for him when he started this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...too-badly.html
Haha! Lots of people here aren't cyclists. Is that a requirement? I never was a "cyclist". I'm basically a skater riding a bike out of necessity and/or practicality.

You know, I've been here since 2007 and I only started blocking other members in 2021. It's easy! You should try it instead of giving me attention, which of course the owners of this place love because I create traffic. So long as I am not breaking forum rules I can't see why they should ban me. I asked to be deleted many years ago and was told NO WAY. So...aggravating certain people here (within forum rules) is my only recourse.

This thread is complete. It should be closed. For starters. Now, lets see who I can block today....
Old 06-11-21, 12:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Haha! Lots of people here aren't cyclists. Is that a requirement? I never was a "cyclist". I'm basically a skater riding a bike out of necessity and/or practicality.

You know, I've been here since 2007 and I only started blocking other members in 2021. It's easy! You should try it instead of giving me attention, which of course the owners of this place love because I create traffic. So long as I am not breaking forum rules I can't see why they should ban me. I asked to be deleted many years ago and was told NO WAY. So...aggravating certain people here (within forum rules) is my only recourse.

This thread is complete. It should be closed. For starters. Now, lets see who I can block today....
Your recourse for what, exactly?

"Stop me before I post again!"

Cough, cough, obsessive compulsive, cough, cough. No one had posted about you on this thread for 5 months, and suddenly, you have to bump the comment?

You weren't just proclaiming yourself a non-cyclist, you were advocating an anti-cycling agenda that was really inappropriate to the forum.

Feel free to block me, I still think that whole "I'm leaving, but not yet, but not yet, but not yet" was bizarre, and I feel free to comment on the nasty tone you bring to things. Your postings on this thread attempting to blame the dead cyclists were disgusting. I know you'll deny that was your intent, but your denial isn't plausible.

And I'm pretty sure deliberately "aggravating certain people" is, by definition, trolling so I believe you just confessed to enough to ban you.
Old 06-11-21, 03:27 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody

Just think, if he hadn't been impaired, but rather just driving while stupid instead, and the same thing happened, everything would be fine.
Old 06-12-21, 05:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Just think, if he hadn't been impaired, but rather just driving while stupid instead, and the same thing happened, everything would be fine.

Doubtful with the multiple deaths, but what's great about an assertion like that is no one can prove you wrong.

There's no question though that vehicular homicide is generally sentenced harsher or charged as a specially defined crime if the driver is DUI, but that's a deliberate deterrence strategy. So, are you arguing with that?

Might actually be a topic worth talking about--could you have a similar enhancement of penalties for "driving while distracted" homicides, etc.? Use of devices, etc. would seem to be deterrable conduct. How could that be defined and enforced?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.