Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Murder Conviction in Texas

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-01-21, 09:05 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts

Unfortunately, this won't reverse the devastation. From the description of the murderer, it probably won't serve as a deterrent to others in his condition. Nevertheless, the individual was held to account.

Army veteran convicted of murder after driving into cyclists, killing 2 (msn.com)
Old 07-02-21, 03:53 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
If he had stayed on scene and said "I didn't see them," he'd likely be a free man today.
Old 07-02-21, 05:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
If he had stayed on scene and said "I didn't see them," he'd likely be a free man today.

Just once, could we pass on making up the non-disprovable counterfactual? It doesn't prove anything.

It's basically the same posting in every thread on this subject, so it's also crummy advocacy. People just discount it as routine rhetoric.

That being said, this thread is only tangentially related to cycling. A drug-crazed person drove deliberately into people. Those people just happened to be on bicycles. Using their deaths as a rhetorical prop for another issue is really gross.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-02-21, 07:46 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Just once, could we pass on making up the non-disprovable counterfactual? It doesn't prove anything.
Nope, not gonna pass. It's a sad reality that "I didn't see them" is usually all the plausible deniability a motorist needs when they hit a cyclist. There might be some civil repercussions, but it is rare that there are criminal consequences. It is rare that the motorist suffers any consequences. Often a ticket isn't issued.
Old 07-02-21, 08:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Nope, not gonna pass. It's a sad reality that "I didn't see them" is usually all the plausible deniability a motorist needs when they hit a cyclist. There might be some civil repercussions, but it is rare that there are criminal consequences. It is rare that the motorist suffers any consequences. Often a ticket isn't issued.

So you think a case where the intentionality of the act was so clear that the defendant's only plausible defense was insanity (and he lost on that because his insanity was voluntary) is the example you want to use to make your point? This case has absolutely nothing to do with plausible deniability, and I think it's more than a little sick to use these victims' horrible fate as a rhetorical device to talk about a completely different issue. I know if I was a relative of one of the victims, I'd be pissed at you for doing it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-02-21, 09:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I would hope it is a deterrent to others, but at least this killer is off the roads for life.
Old 07-02-21, 11:40 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I would hope it is a deterrent to others, but at least this killer is off the roads for life.
When have reports of collisions and collisions causing death ever improved any drivers' driving habits? Never.

And that's for normal people.

As for criminals or people who contemplating criminal intent, prosecution probably doesn't even cross their mind.

Last edited by Daniel4; 07-02-21 at 11:47 AM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 07-02-21, 12:47 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Motorists run into each other, pedestrians, cyclists, and large numbers of inanimate objects all the time. Cars have gotten safer for the occupants but nothing has really changed for the rest of the world outside their vehicle. Humans are imperfect, distractable, medicated, unskillful, and at least half are of below average intelligence. You can not change THEM. But you can change YOU. Mixing it up with motor vehicles at high speeds, where the margin for error is zero, has risks. No one is making us ride bikes on those highways. Accept the risk and rock on, or play it safe and find another hobby. The remaining motorists have learned nothing. It can't happen to them. It's Russian roulette for everybody out there.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 07-02-21, 02:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Motorists run into each other, pedestrians, cyclists, and large numbers of inanimate objects all the time. Cars have gotten safer for the occupants but nothing has really changed for the rest of the world outside their vehicle. Humans are imperfect, distractable, medicated, unskillful, and at least half are of below average intelligence. You can not change THEM. But you can change YOU. Mixing it up with motor vehicles at high speeds, where the margin for error is zero, has risks. No one is making us ride bikes on those highways. Accept the risk and rock on, or play it safe and find another hobby. The remaining motorists have learned nothing. It can't happen to them. It's Russian roulette for everybody out there.

In this particular instance, this is a guy with homicidal intent. That type of person is a danger to you no matter where you are.
Likes For livedarklions: