Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front Tire won't fit through rim brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Front Tire won't fit through rim brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-21, 08:38 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Actually to make wheel removal easier was one of the minor reasons I had to get a wider-rimmed wheelset. Obviously for example, if your rim width is the same as, or a just slightly narrower than your inflated tire width, then the brakes after being adjusted to fit the rim width once you've flipped the release lever, don't have an issue clearing the tire. In my case I went from 20mm rims to 24mm rims which made all the difference. That said, I know neither the max rim width the stock Tektros can accommodate, nor what the current rim width is of the OP's S-R3 rims.
I've considered something like that for my 700C bikes: instead of 28mm tires on 20mm rims, perhaps 25mm tires on 23mm rims. I'm envisioning that the 25's would puff out close to 28mm on the wider rims, but it would resolve some of that gap in adjustment.

I'm waiting until I've worn out my old rims to try it out, so it might be a while...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-13-21, 08:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I've considered something like that for my 700C bikes: instead of 28mm tires on 20mm rims, perhaps 25mm tires on 23mm rims. I'm envisioning that the 25's would puff out close to 28mm on the wider rims, but it would resolve some of that gap in adjustment.

I'm waiting until I've worn out my old rims to try it out, so it might be a while...
Not sure if you're referring to outside rim width or not, but latest generation of most tires (?) seem are now labelled with assumption of being installed on wider rims than in the past. Eg. a Conti GP5K inflates to a lesser width than the same size-labelled GP4K from yesteryear. I would expect most new 28mm tires, installed on a 23mm outside rim width wheel (ie. probably a 17-18mm inner width), should not really exceed 28mm.
Old 09-13-21, 09:04 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not sure if you're referring to outside rim width or not, but latest generation of most tires (?) seem are now labelled with assumption of being installed on wider rims than in the past. Eg. a Conti GP5K inflates to a lesser width than the same size-labelled GP4K from yesteryear. I would expect most new 28mm tires, installed on a 23mm outside rim width wheel (ie. probably a 17-18mm inner width), should not really exceed 28mm.
Yeah, outer width -- old habit. I'd be going from a 14mm inner width to something more like 19mm.

The tires I like don't change that much from season to season, but that is a good point about how lots of models are being adjusted to account for wider rims. Hey, now they get to make them a little smaller and claim lighter weights, just like they did in the 80's.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-13-21, 12:05 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
often a good sharp whack moves a tire past pads easily, where a slow push and wiggle will misalign more.
And sometimes it knocks the pad clean out of the holder, which can be a PITA if it happens away from your home/shop. I'll take a few seconds to remove the pad to avoid this.
Old 09-13-21, 02:00 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2736 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
And sometimes it knocks the pad clean out of the holder, which can be a PITA if it happens away from your home/shop. I'll take a few seconds to remove the pad to avoid this.
Personally I've never encountered one this tight, and also personally find mounting pads to be finicky, toe in and all that, so very much would go with pumping.
The daughter of friends years back bought an old road bike that had too tight clearances, and had to release air to get it in and out. Rather annoying. I recall the roadie brakes were cheapies and didn't even have the release thing.
Old 09-13-21, 02:53 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
I’ve had old road frames where you had to let air out of the tire to get the rear wheel out of the frame. That’s what I’d do in your situation too. I’d rather pump a tire than mess with a cable adjuster every time.
Old 09-13-21, 03:29 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I look at the picture of the brake and it looks like someone setup the brake with the cam release lever open. If so loosen the cable and close the lever and readjust the brake.
THIS!! Your brake has a QR just for this.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-13-21, 05:02 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
as mentioned earlier, best thing to do first is to readjust the brake cable. It may be too tight when in open (wide) mode. Tire should slip through when open
Old 09-14-21, 12:51 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
THIS!! Your brake has a QR just for this.
the brake release will buy you only so much extra clearance. If your tire is sufficiently wider than your rim, the brake release may not be enough. When I switched to 25mm tires on old Rolf rims, the tires hung up on the brakes even when the shifter-mounted (Campag) brake releases were opened up (releases were closed during normal use). This was a minor inconvenience at most - to drop out a wheel I let a little air out, and then topped up the tire again after the wheel was reinstalled. When transporting the bike (fork-mount roof carrier), the floor pump went into the trunk with the front wheel. When fixing a flat on the road, I waited until the wheel was back in the frame before I hit it with the CO2. Simply a case of adopting a slightly different order of events when removing/replacing a wheel. Switching to wider rims (and adjusting the brakes for the new rims) made the problem disappear.

Last edited by Litespud; 09-14-21 at 12:54 PM.