Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crash, splash!...the bike is ok.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-16-21, 10:07 PM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts

Greetings,
Have you ever done a header, landed face first onto a dock, and then plummeted in the water with your bike?....I have. I was on a nice leisurely ride on my Paramount last Sunday and decided to take a few pics of the ship canal. I was cruising down to the water slowly, took a a pic, and the next the thing I knew I was slammed into the dock (right one on pic) and fell off with my bike into the water. I'm still not sure what happened but I know my helmet made contact with the ground and then my face met the dock. I think I might have flipped a couple times? It was a shock when it happened and luckily I wasn't knocked unconscious. Kind of weird how when you crash the whole thing happens so quickly you really don't know what happened. There was a guy and a dog on the other dock and he was laughing like mad as I climbed out of the water. I was a bloody mess and was in a swearing mantra mode so I wasn't in the mood to talk to him...I think he asked if I was all right but I got out and kept walking until I got my head together. I rode side streets home to hide my blood face and jersey. The bike is ok but the handlebars are bent pretty badly so they'll have to be replaced. I feel pretty good actually and think it could have been much worse...I have a cut inside my lip from my teeth but fortunately didn't loose them. The scrapes have developed into some nice dark scabs so I look hideous but at least I have to wear a mask at work so I don't look too scary. Lesson learned...put the phone away and hang on to the bars...also don't land nose first!

Likes For Bogester:
Old 09-16-21, 10:12 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogester
Greetings,
Have you ever done a header, landed face first onto a dock, and then plummeted in the water with your bike?....I have. I was on a nice leisurely ride on my Paramount last Sunday and decided to take a few pics of the ship canal. I was cruising down to the water slowly, took a a pic, and the next the thing I knew I was slammed into the dock (right one on pic) and fell off with my bike into the water. I'm still not sure what happened but I know my helmet made contact with the ground and then my face met the dock. I think I might have flipped a couple times? It was a shock when it happened and luckily I wasn't knocked unconscious. Kind of weird how when you crash the whole thing happens so quickly you really don't know what happened. There was a guy and a dog on the other dock and he was laughing like mad as I climbed out of the water. I was a bloody mess and was in a swearing mantra mode so I wasn't in the mood to talk to him...I think he asked if I was all right but I got out and kept walking until I got my head together. I rode side streets home to hide my blood face and jersey. The bike is ok but the handlebars are bent pretty badly so they'll have to be replaced. I feel pretty good actually and think it could have been much worse...I have a cut inside my lip from my teeth but fortunately didn't loose them. The scrapes have developed into some nice dark scabs so I look hideous but at least I have to wear a mask at work so I don't look too scary. Lesson learned...put the phone away and hang on to the bars...also don't land nose first!

Yikes! Glad you're ok (more or less) and yep, gotta pay more attention as we "move forward" in life.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-16-21, 11:55 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 349 Posts
It’s hard not to get angry reading about somebody seeing this happen and laughing. I’m glad your gonna be okay.
Old 09-17-21, 04:26 AM
hose
Miyata Mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
OP is brave to admit he took out his phone while riding to snap pictures and ended up in crashing in a lake.
Likes For hose:
Old 09-17-21, 06:31 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
I don't blame you for not wanting to talk to the laughing fool who wanted to help as an afterthought.

May you recover quickly and let us know what kind of bars you'd like for the Paramount. Possibly we can assuage your wounds with a gift for the bike!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-17-21, 06:38 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Haven't pulled that move yet, but I did walk into a fire hydrant once and that's probably when I tore my PCL in my knee.
Old 09-17-21, 06:50 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 58 Posts
Distracted drivers kill; distracted riders can get killed. I saw a cyclist craning his neck to oogle a woman, ride into the Capital reflecting pool in DC (its only inches deep). I felt no remorse for him nor probably did the lady.
Likes For Peruano:
Old 09-17-21, 08:09 AM
tlastrange

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Get well!
Old 09-17-21, 08:22 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
This is gonna sound nuts but that almost happened to me because of a tiny little pocket dog, its retractable leash and its inattentive owner. Managed to keep from running said dog over and avoided the drink but my buddy wiped out and took a dunk. I was glad he was okay, as was the dog, but holy cow! that could have been bad.

Glad you’re mostly okay, too!
Likes For Rage:
Old 09-17-21, 08:47 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
So, like, where were you planning on riding (stopping) headed directly into the dock area like that? I'm having a hard time understanding what your plan was.
Old 09-17-21, 09:09 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story. It helps remind me that the unexpected can happen. I need booster shots like this to overcome my natural tendency to take short cuts, multitask and not wear protective equipment.
Old 09-17-21, 09:13 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Oh My, I hope you don't have any other pains arise.

I once road my bike into, endo a temporary knee wall, landed on my back holding the Masi up trying to prevent carnage. It was dark, I was in a familiar spot that had a parking lot revision.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 09-17-21 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-17-21, 09:50 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Oh no, glad to hear you (and the bike) are OK. I think the combination of the crash and the water would have scared the poop right out of me. I often ride down to the lake and around the marina and have this terrifying thought about me and the bike going in and not being able to rescue the bike!
Old 09-17-21, 10:18 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
So glad you are here to tell about it. I clipped a curb and went hands first to the pavement at 15 mph. Over a year ago and I still feel it a bit. We aren't getting any younger and in my case I'm not much smarter.
Old 09-17-21, 10:33 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
Your Schwinn takes a schwimm
My Torpado made like torpedo
Cannondales cannonball
Miyata goes splish splash
Mi Tatas goes splat
Old 09-17-21, 11:48 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
I completely empathize!

I had a much less serious, but equally dumb, incident about 10 years ago.
I was just toodling through Jubilee College park, going down a small hill. Somehow, I managed to drift off the right edge of the road and into the grass. The grass banked down steeply, and ended up in some trees. My best option was to hit the brakes in order to not end up in the trees.
Well, to stop, I had to apply the front brake hard enough to lift the rear wheel, causing me to slooowly go over the handlebars.
It was so slow that it didn't hurt at all, and I held onto the bars and just did a roll. I ended up on my back with the bike above me (feet still in the pedals and hands on the brake hoods).

At the same time, an older couple was walking up the hill and presumably watching this. They were polite enough to not stare or laugh. Bless them.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 09-17-21, 12:02 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
gotta pay more attention as we "move forward" in life.
I was paying attention! I didn't need you to quote the whole thing to me again right below it!
Old 09-17-21, 12:29 PM
Bogester 

my plan was to stop at the base of the dock. I wasn’t going fast but fast enough to flip over. I really don’t remember what caused the crash or the seconds leading up to it. Kind of like my brain erased it. I’m going to go back and check out the scene. I think there might have been a speed bump at the bottom of the hill or I could have hit the curb. Taking full responsibility for my stupidity…lesson learned.

Originally Posted by shoota
So, like, where were you planning on riding (stopping) headed directly into the dock area like that? I'm having a hard time understanding what your plan was.
Old 09-17-21, 05:42 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Ugh, @Bogester so sorry to hear this happened! So frustrating when we get caught off guard and injured in a seemingly innocuous moment. If I am understanding the chain of events correctly, maybe a pedal strike on that curb? This sounds a little crazy, but any chance you were hit by a car and didn't realize it? Bending the handlebars takes a lot of force.

If you are missing time from immediately before or during the accident you were probably concussed. Keep an eye out for signs of concussion and quickly get medical care if you have any of these: Concussion Signs and Symptoms | HEADS UP | CDC Injury Center Be careful even if you don't need immediate medical intervention and consider talking to your GP. The affects of repeated concussions can add up.

Btw, I know exactly where that is and I understand the desire to take a pic there! Here's my old Sirrus posed on the end of that dock. Excuse the crank position.

Last edited by tricky; 09-17-21 at 05:47 PM.
Likes For tricky:
Old 09-17-21, 05:52 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 1,837 Times in 1,110 Posts
You're not alone in bad things on a bike. I went over the bars on my track bike and spent two days in the hospital with a broken nose and had to wear a nose guard for three weeks. I was working retail in a liquor store and it got a lot of sideways looks from customers. Welcome to the over the bars club! Smiles, MH
Old 09-17-21, 10:03 PM
Bogester 

Nice bike...keep it dry! I definitely wasn't hit by a car. I might have been concussed but it's been 5 days and I'm as dumb as I used to be...no headaches, didn't lose consciousness after impact, really felt ok this week. I took off my bars tonight and they were bent a good two inches from one side to the other. I think it flipped up in the air pretty high and came down directly on the bars. I did the same but came down on my head and face. I don't remember the 2-3 seconds before the crash...very weird...I do remember being at the spot where I took the picture. Again was not going fast...it should have been a slow coast to the dock. Wondering if my hand slipped off the bars and brake and I hit the curb, I guess my panicked brain chose to erase the memory. I do remember the impact and falling into the water. Enough of my misery...thanks for the well wishes. I ordered new bars tonight and will be back in the saddle again.

Originally Posted by tricky
Ugh, @Bogester so sorry to hear this happened! So frustrating when we get caught off guard and injured in a seemingly innocuous moment. If I am understanding the chain of events correctly, maybe a pedal strike on that curb? This sounds a little crazy, but any chance you were hit by a car and didn't realize it? Bending the handlebars takes a lot of force.

If you are missing time from immediately before or during the accident you were probably concussed. Keep an eye out for signs of concussion and quickly get medical care if you have any of these: Concussion Signs and Symptoms | HEADS UP | CDC Injury Center Be careful even if you don't need immediate medical intervention and consider talking to your GP. The affects of repeated concussions can add up.

Btw, I know exactly where that is and I understand the desire to take a pic there! Here's my old Sirrus posed on the end of that dock. Excuse the crank position.

Likes For Bogester:
Old 09-18-21, 10:39 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 835 Times in 363 Posts
I did one endo. 25mph paceline when two riders in front of me went down. Unlike you, I remember everything before I hit the pavement. It was like slow motion. I avoided the first downed rider and bike. I was able to avoid the second rider, but I slammed into his bike right at the crank/BB area. After that, all I remember was hearing someone moaning and realizing it was me. The other guys claim I never lost consciousness. Anyhow, besides doing a number on myself (5 days in ICU) I destroyed my Pinarello. Which brings me to a bastardized quote from my High School chemistry teacher: "Skin heals, metal can't". BTW his quote was: "Skin heals, fabric can't" Always telling us to roll up our sleeves when working with acids.

Glad you're ok.