Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring on Bridgestone xo-1

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-17-21, 06:13 AM
Julvior

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, has anyone ever toured on a Bridgestone xo-1 ? Is it capable for touring? I'm fortunate that my dad will be gifting me his xo-1 and next year I'm planning on biking a small portion of adventure cycling's Atlantic coast tour (MA to Bar Harbor).

I'm just wondering if that bike will be ok or if I need to invest in a touring bike.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 09-17-21, 11:36 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't tour on it. It's essentially a hybrid with moustache handlebars. Be aware, however, that it only has a double crankset, so you won't have a super-low gear. I've never ridden one myself, though I have toured on a Bridgestone RB-T and an MB-2. Bridgestone made nice bikes.
Likes For axolotl:
Old 09-18-21, 06:21 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Was curious about the bike, looked it up and in the article it states this,

The ultimate "hybrid" (while conspicuously avoiding the term "hybrid"), the XO-1 had a road bike frame and geometry with 26" wheels, but slick road tires (mountain bike tires up to 1.6" would fit). It had a double chainring crank that was drilled for a third ring (110/74 bolt circle -- for a large selection of rings) should a rider decide to add one later. But the most prominent, and perhaps most controversial feature was the mustache handlebar -- designed by Grant Petersen, and produced by Nitto.

link to article
The Retrogrouch: Bridgestone XO-1: Cult of Personality

but ya, you'd probably be best to lower the gearing, if you can.
take a good side photo of the bike and put it up here.
Old 09-18-21, 06:35 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Probably worth a look:
Head tube angle sticks out and being fairly aggressive at 73 degrees. Wheel base (chain stay length) is on the shorter side for a touring bike..may or may not be an issue with heel strike on the rear panniers, if any. (scroll down on the linked page for a numbers comparison)

https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geo...253100168a60ed,

55cm XO-1 vs 54cm LHT, both 26"

It's said, "you can tour on anything". How comfortable you'll be is a different question. If you own the bike..set it up and try it for a short couple day tour..the only way to know for sure is how you feel at the end of the day, after day..

For myself..given the geometry, I'd use the XO for fast day rides and use something more comfortable for touring..but I'm an old(er) fart..so don't mind me.
Old 09-18-21, 10:51 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
It'll be OK. But you might want to change the gearing.
Old 09-18-21, 11:06 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
I have a '93 Bridgestone XO 2 which has the same geometry as the XO 1. It is essentially a road bike designed around 26 wheels and ample tire clearance. In the 90s if you wanted a fat tire, 26 inch wheels made a lot of sense. The bike is conceptually an early example of what today we would call a gravel bike.

Yes it's fine for touring if the gearing is set up right. Personally I'd lose the moustache bars and get drops. I dislike moustache bars.

The chain stays are likely not as long as you may find on a touring bike so you may have to take that into account when setting up the bike.

Also the XO 1 came in more than one flavor. The '92 had long reach sidepulls. That will limit the max tire size. The '93 had cantilevers and will take a fatter tire. My '93 XO 2 can comfortable take 26 x 1.75 tires and fenders and quite likely can take a larger volume tire. This is one of the best all around machines I have ever ridden.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 09-18-21, 02:03 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Seems like a classic collectible bike and fun to ride as well. Good luck with it.
Old 09-18-21, 05:21 PM
Julvior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I'm not a fan of the moustache bars either. Your bike looks so sick with the drops. Just gave me some inspiration there.
Old 09-18-21, 05:25 PM
Julvior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the input. I didn't even think of the heel rub with the short chain stays. From the feedback I got here, seems like I'll just try out the ride for the next couple of months and I'll prob keep an eye out for a LHT on CL.

Super useful link btw, i just compared a bunch of bikes!
Old 09-18-21, 08:16 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by Julvior
Thanks so much for the input. I didn't even think of the heel rub with the short chain stays. From the feedback I got here, seems like I'll just try out the ride for the next couple of months and I'll prob keep an eye out for a LHT on CL.

Super useful link btw, i just compared a bunch of bikes!
re heel strike, it really does depend though on shoe size, rack, panniers, and pannier position, so just saying that it could be fine.
Show a photo of your bike, and specifics of your gearing and shifters etc that will give more info of what can be changed potentially.
Old 09-18-21, 10:16 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
People over in the classic and vintage section would probably love some photos. It’s now a rather rare bike, I believe only 2000 made, and was Grants last bike with Bridgestone before he left and created Rivendell, and the rest is history. It’s an early version of a style of bike that is now finally becoming immensely appreciated.
Old 09-19-21, 03:39 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
re heel strike, it really does depend though on shoe size, rack, panniers, and pannier position, so just saying that it could be fine.
Show a photo of your bike, and specifics of your gearing and shifters etc that will give more info of what can be changed potentially.
+1
My touring bike is a drop bar conversion mountain bike. While some will wave hands about heel strike issues..I wear a size 12 shoe and use large panniers in the back and I still have pushing 2 inches of clearance between my shoes and the panniers.

Gearing is a big deal..or can be if it isn't reasonably close to what you'll need.