Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to identify my Trek 5200 fork color?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-23-21, 09:33 AM
rr99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Hi guys,

I've acquired a new/old fork for my 5200 US Postal Trek. I'd like to repaint in order to match its original color. However, I've talk to a retailer who sells professional (computer based) colors and by only looking at it, he couldn't identify what particular color do I need. Due to the fact that they are several types of white colors, he said I should have a specific number for the color in order to get it done properly. There are several engraved numbers on the inside of the rear drop outs, but I do not know what they represent in the first place. I truly doubt that that these numbers indicate the color code.

Regarding the color, at a first glance, it does appear like a dirty pearl white, but retailer said that's not enough.

My question, has anyone restored this particular model?

I might sound funny but would Trek bikes had a such an information stored in their Archives? Should I give it a shot and sent them a polite email?

Or perhaps all archived documents were destroyed after Lance Amstrong era? Just kidding.

I would really appreciate all of your positive thoughts and inputs!

Thanks!

New/Old Fork

Old Fork

Old 09-23-21, 11:38 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Im confused. the fork in the full pic looks silver, so you want to repaint that to match the white frame. But then you take a bunch of pics of a white fork. Is that not the matching white of the frame?

Regardless, its called 'pearl white' in the Trek brochures, assuming this is a '99.
Trek Bike Models by Year and Color
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-23-21, 02:15 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Yeah, pictures of the fork are pretty useless. The ID numbers on the frame should give you the info you want.
Old 09-23-21, 03:12 PM
rr99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Hey,

Thanks a lot for your response.

The full pic fork is my new/old fork which I want to repaint it to match my white frame or to match the color of my old (white original fork).
I got confused by the retailer who emphasized that there are several 'pearl white' colors which can be only determined by the particular code of the color. This is common for cars though.

Anyhow, I'll go with codeless 'pearl white'. I hope I'm not gonna make a mistake.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Im confused. the fork in the full pic looks silver, so you want to repaint that to match the white frame. But then you take a bunch of pics of a white fork. Is that not the matching white of the frame?

Regardless, its called 'pearl white' in the Trek brochures, assuming this is a '99.
Trek Bike Models by Year and Color