Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Kinetic Road Machine Smart 2

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 02-04-21, 03:42 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts

I just replaced an old Nashbar fluid trainer with the Kinetic Road Machine Smart 2. It's exactly what I was looking for. It's smooth, quiet, the resistance is linear and the flywheel adds just the right amount of momentum to simulate road feel.

It was $300 which, at first, I thought was a little high for a simple trainer, but after using it a few times, I feel it was well worth the price and I'm very happy with it.

Now for the negative... The trainer itself is great, but the app (Kurt Kinetic Fit app) is absolutely horrible. I didn't buy it for the app so it's no big deal for me, but for those that expect a reliable, intuitive app (and rightly so), I recommend a little research into the pros and cons of the app. As for me, I find the app so cumbersome and unreliable that I don't even plan on using it.

If anyone finds the app to be easy to use, I'd love to hear from you.
Old 02-04-21, 07:17 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
The app is horrendous, it took me a long time to even understand that I had to tap the little disconnected symbol to connect my InRide sensor. Calibration is the only reason to use it.
Old 02-07-21, 06:26 AM
fujidon

I guess the Kinetic app isn't very popular. I thought for sure there would several comments on it.
Old 02-07-21, 11:28 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Why do you need the app?

Except for the very first time I got on my trainer, I've never once used the app for my Tacx.

I just use my Garmin and Zwift. Sometimes just the Garmin.
Old 02-07-21, 12:44 PM
fujidon

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Why do you need the app?

Except for the very first time I got on my trainer, I've never once used the app for my Tacx.

I just use my Garmin and Zwift. Sometimes just the Garmin.
It would be useful to know the wattage/speed/cadence and I don't know how to get it without the app. Are there other apps that are compatible?

I'm not really interested in Zwift (I just listen to music while I'm on the trainer) and I don't have a Garmin.
Old 02-07-21, 12:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I agree. It’s terrible. If you don’t want to do zwift, you could use the 4iiii app. It’s free and I believe that it will connect with any BT power meter and display wattage, cadence, HR if you also have an HRM.
Old 02-07-21, 02:10 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by fujidon
It would be useful to know the wattage/speed/cadence and I don't know how to get it without the app. Are there other apps that are compatible?

I'm not really interested in Zwift (I just listen to music while I'm on the trainer) and I don't have a Garmin.
Strava?
Old 02-07-21, 02:51 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have the same trainer just an older version. The app they have is CRAP, I would use stronger words but I can't. Its only useful for calibrating the trainer, that is it. Not even sure that is right.

I am a Zwifter so its awesome for that. I do use the Kinetic app for calibrating though. Zwift power numbers are a touch inflated compared to the app and my PM on bike.

Strava is overrated, if you are just after a few data points the Kinetic app is probably adequate but for anything else....no way.

Zwift is where its at for me!
Old 02-07-21, 03:15 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
The app is horrendous, it took me a long time to even understand that I had to tap the little disconnected symbol to connect my InRide sensor. Calibration is the only reason to use it.
Agree.

I used the RM with InRide for over a year and it transformed my riding. I bought mine used back in saner times for very little money. Recently upgraded with the Control Power Unit and after a few fits have it working very well.

I used the Kinetic app a few times when I started and it really isn't good. After using the app just 2 or 3 times moved on to Zwift and that was that. I get it, different people have different likes and dislikes but I personally never would have put anywhere near the 3500 or so trainer miles last year just looking at my iPhone and a small green monochrome screen even with music turned up to 11. I think there are alternatives to Zwift that are less money but as an individual that rides 150 miles/week on Zwift is a bargain. It has a few flaws for sure, the workout programs have issues but you can download 3rd party workouts, both free and pay or make your own. You can also link to Strava and Training Peaks and other services. I say this not to sell anything just to say for some it is worth a closer look.

With your Kinetic RM you cannot use ERG mode but Zwift supports your trainer so your power meter function is quite accurate. You just have to use your gears to compensate for the lack of trainer feedback.
Old 02-07-21, 03:26 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by sdmc530

Strava is overrated, if you are just after a few data points the Kinetic app is probably adequate but for anything else....no way.

Zwift is where its at for me!
??? Strava and Zwift do completely different things. Strava records and/or stores ride metrics, Zwift is the ride (virtually).
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 02-07-21, 04:28 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
??? Strava and Zwift do completely different things. Strava records and/or stores ride metrics, Zwift is the ride (virtually).

Sort of different. Every Zwift route is on Strava. But yeah they are different social platforms, your very correct.

Stava is still a crap show. Would never pay for that dumpster fire. It was a good product a while back but when they starting messing with the purchase levels or 3 packages and now the current version is nothing a person needs at all.
Old 02-07-21, 06:12 PM
fujidon

I'm not looking for an app that connects me to other users nor an app that offers training programs. All I want is an app that gives me speed/cadence/watts. if I can avoid losing too much fitness during the winter, I'll be happy.

I listen to music during my 30 to 45 minute sessions on the trainer and I hate every minute of it, but if it helps me to enjoy my outdoor bike rides (usually 30 to 40 miles), it's worth it.
Old 02-07-21, 06:27 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

I'm not looking for an app that connects me to other users nor an app that offers training programs. All I want is an app that gives me speed/cadence/watts. if I can avoid losing too much fitness during the winter, I'll be happy.

I listen to music during my 30 to 45 minute sessions on the trainer and I hate every minute of it, but if it helps me to enjoy my outdoor bike rides (usually 30 to 40 miles), it's worth it.
Something like this?
Old 02-07-21, 06:41 PM
fujidon

Exactly! That's all I want.
Old 02-07-21, 08:02 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by sdmc530

Stava is still a crap show. Would never pay for that dumpster fire. It was a good product a while back but when they starting messing with the purchase levels or 3 packages and now the current version is nothing a person needs at all.
I love Strava. Absolutely brilliant for segments and route mapping and seeing what everyone else is doing. Nothing else even remotely on the market to compare it to.
Old 02-07-21, 08:32 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
I love Strava. Absolutely brilliant for segments and route mapping and seeing what everyone else is doing. Nothing else even remotely on the market to compare it to.
I like strava too but I thought they dropped support for sensors a while back. maybe now just part of the subscription?
Old 02-07-21, 08:34 PM
caloso

I don’t mind paying for Strava. I love seeing what my friends are doing and it helps me find new places to ride.
Old 02-08-21, 12:36 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
There is at least one Kurt Kinetic face book group. Perhaps see if anyone there has a solution to the problem?

Other than that, might just wait out the winter it's halfway over
Old 02-08-21, 04:03 PM
fujidon

Originally Posted by Thomas15
There is at least one Kurt Kinetic face book group. Perhaps see if anyone there has a solution to the problem?

Other than that, might just wait out the winter it's halfway over
Best advice yet <G>
Old 02-08-21, 04:04 PM
fujidon

I installed the 4iiii app, but it doesn't see the Kinetic sensor to connect to it.

Last edited by fujidon; 02-08-21 at 04:05 PM. Reason: missed an "i"
Old 02-08-21, 04:27 PM
caloso

I installed the 4iiii app, but it doesn't see the Kinetic sensor to connect to it.
Are there any other devices connecting to the Kinetic? I believe that BT can only connect to one device at a time.
Old 02-08-21, 04:39 PM
fujidon

Originally Posted by caloso
Are there any other devices connecting to the Kinetic? I believe that BT can only connect to one device at a time.
BT? I don't know what that is, but there were no other devices connected to the Kinetic sensor.
Old 02-08-21, 05:30 PM
caloso

Sorry. BT = Bluetooth. The Kinetic transmits in Bluetooth. Maybe try making the Kinetic app "forget" the trainer.
Old 02-08-21, 05:37 PM
fujidon

Originally Posted by caloso
Sorry. BT = Bluetooth. The Kinetic transmits in Bluetooth. Maybe try making the Kinetic app "forget" the trainer.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 02-09-21, 05:50 AM
rubiksoval

If you've already invested in the trainer and are having this much difficulty with it, just get a proper GPS enabled cycling computer. Save you all the headaches and get you every single thing you want, plus all of that outdoors, too.

Besides, training with power indoors is a very slippery slope! You'll very likely want a powermeter to go outdoors, too, at some point. Otherwise, you'll miss all the data!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.