Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Jamis Sputnik

Old 09-09-21, 03:26 AM
Singlespeed420
Why are you reading this

Bikes: 2020 Giant Contend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jamis Sputnik

So I am considering purchasing what I believe is a 2012 Jamis Sputnik. It has Reynolds 631 tubing, everything is stock. I thought they were all reynolds 520. I just don't know if it is a great a good bike? I never heard of Jamis before but I've done a little research and they seem like they might be all right. I got the price down to $250 from $300. What do you guys think?

I was considering possibly getting a better state bike but I was one of those newbie bikers who bought into the whole core line from State unfortunately. But of course lessons need to be learned.

Last edited by Singlespeed420; 09-09-21 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Left out details
Old 09-09-21, 04:17 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
That was the very bike I was about to pull the trigger on back in 2011/2012. Only reason I didn’t end up owning one was a good friend bought me my first Iro which I promptly fell in love with.

I still wonder, to this day, if I shouldn’t also have gotten that Sputnik. I don’t remember if it was 520 or 631, but at that price, who cares?
Go bring that bike home. That’s a pretty good deal at 250 bucks. I think the one I was looking at was 700 or 750 new.
Old 09-09-21, 06:07 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Singlespeed420
I was considering possibly getting a better state bike...
Sorry, but I have to take exception to this statement. All things being equal, AFAIAC a Sputnik is superior to anything State. You should be pleased about having 631 - Sputnik was around long enough to go through several versions including tubing change/downgrade/s along the way so if you know your tubing for a fact - that should help you confirm its year. Some were pretty nice bikes. If it fits, and you can tolerate the condition, and the price is decent...

Good luck
Old 09-09-21, 07:29 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

I’d have to agree that the Sputnik is probably going to be better’n most anything State Bicycle Company puts out.
Not an expert on either brand but I own more than one Jamis and I’ve had occasion to work on a couple of those State bikes pre-ride.

The paint on that Jamis I was looking at was pretty nifty compared to the paint on the State bikes I have seen. The components are also nicer on the Sputnik than anything I have ever seen on a State.

I actually bought the cranks that were on ‘em that year because I liked them so much from my test rides. Which I had almost completely forgotten about until just now. Jeeze, I gotta go find those lol.

So, yep, those Sputniks were pretty nice bikes. There were definitely different versions, though. I think the 2010 iteration was lugged 631, which I would have bought immediately if I had ever seen one my size.

And why get another State bike if you got burned on one previously?
Or did you mean something else? I’m inclined to think you got burned by your tone, though.

I like your username lol. Puff puff?
Old 09-09-21, 08:13 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
You can find a lot of info on the Jamis Sputnik years here:

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=18314

2012 was 520 CrMo, so the bike in question isn't a 2012. It appears that they switched to 520 in 2011 and kept with it going forward.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 09-09-21, 10:16 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
Jamis is a good brand, at that price point it swoop it up in a heartbeat if it fits!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 09-09-21, 11:26 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Jamis is good bike. I tried to buy one new years ago but couldn't find a dealer willing to order me one. What is wrong with State bikes? I have had a Warhawk for a couple years and have done nothing but wear out a couple sets of tires on it.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-09-21, 12:23 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Jamis is a fine brand -- not as well known as others, but they make good products at good price points. Years ago I bought my son a Jamis Beatnik that has been utterly problem-free for far longer than I ever imagined.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-09-21, 03:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Jamis is a great brand and one of the big ones (not so big though) that is still keeping steel in their line up. I wanted a Sputnik back in the day but they had sold out of the 631 versions by that point and honestly that would be the only one I really want.

It was started by a Greek immigrant back in the 70s if memory serves me.

If the bike is in good shape and fits you decently well I would probably go for it.
Old 09-23-21, 04:38 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

I had a 2013 Sputnik. I liked the ride fine, although the components were mostly low-to-mid level. The FSA Gimondi crankset was nice and had a vintage feel about it. The fork was quite nice, but the rest of the frame was only so-so. I sold it a few years ago after having ridden it quite a bit. I would recommend any of the earlier ones as long as you can get your size.
Old 09-23-21, 09:25 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

I liked that FSA crankset so much from my test ride that I ended up buying them.
They’re in contention now against Iro’s stock cranks and the All-City 612 track crankset as to which goes on the current build.