Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Old 04-23-16, 05:17 AM
ShutUpLegs

Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I have the hardest time finding shoes that fit my wide feet. Bontragers used to fit but they changed their design a few years ago and they don't fit any more. Specialized and Sidi wide sizes are not wide enough. The last week I have been wearing out the UPS guy by mail ordering just about every shoe in the world and returning it. I finally got a pair of Lake wide shoes. They are expensive, even though they are two levels below the top Lake shoe which is probably the most expensive shoe ever. But holy cow are these nice shoes, like the holy grail of shoes.
I've had trouble, until I switched to Shimano and will probably never go back. I got the Shimano R260s in wide and they are money! Plus scored them brand new online for $100. I'd definitely recommend either of their new line up shoes, R171s, R260s or R321s
Old 04-23-16, 05:30 AM
ShutUpLegs

Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2. I have always ridden with cleats positioned as far back on the shoes as possible. I did this initially just because it felt comfortable, got used to it, never messed with it. I have since read somewhere that cleats back = more endurance, cleats forward = more power. I just got new shoes and thought I'd try moving the cleats forward, but I'm hesitant to trigger what I'm sure will be a cascading insecurity of everything related to bike fit (should I then move the saddle forward too? etc). Is there anything to the back/forward endurance/power thing?
I've been back and forth since I switched shoes and pedals (speedplay to Shimano). What I've noticed is that when my cleats were more forward, yes I may have had some more initial power, but I would get fatigued much quicker and couldn't sustain the power as much as when my cleats are more rearward. I've settled on cleats most of the way back and it's been the best solution. I can sustain power for much longer and I feel like out of the saddle I have more leverage.
Old 04-23-16, 07:01 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
why the strong desire to get so low?
Trying to put the drops in the right position without a custom stem.

Based on my short legs, my drops need to be at about tire height. I've been scanning some old pictures and have been keeping an eye out to see if I'm smoking crack or if my bars have always been pretty low. They've been low, primarily because in an out of saddle sprint I want the bars to be about that height relative to the cranks (no other contact points other than pedals and drops). With the bars 3 cm higher (same horizontal reach) I struggled to control the bike in the sprint. There was one bike where the bars weren't as low but that was because I was so fat that I couldn't clear my stomach, so I got a bike that was something like 7 cm higher up front.

1989 or so.

2014. Note the -32 stem because of the compact bars, aka 3 cm less reach, 3 cm less drop than the bars in the 1989 picture. I'm actually using the bars from the above picture to experiment with a longer position. Depending on how it feels on the road I may raise the bars 1 cm or so, with the longer reach.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-23-16, 07:15 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by ShutUpLegs
I've been back and forth since I switched shoes and pedals (speedplay to Shimano). What I've noticed is that when my cleats were more forward, yes I may have had some more initial power, but I would get fatigued much quicker and couldn't sustain the power as much as when my cleats are more rearward. I've settled on cleats most of the way back and it's been the best solution. I can sustain power for much longer and I feel like out of the saddle I have more leverage.
I used to put my cleats super far forward. This really stressed my calves. I did have some good top end but I cramped often and didn't have much sustainable power. Nowadays my cleats are further back. I've lost a tremendous amount of speed anyway (20% down in top speed in fast conditions, the only metric I could measure in the old days). However now I hardly ever cramp. I have more sustained power but that may be because I'm older as well as my cleat position. I'm still weak FTP wise, but at least my muscles aren't giving out.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-23-16, 08:59 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First hard ride today with the cleats further forward. The cleats are in the middle of the possible fore/aft range now, which is about 1cm forward from where I've always had them. It felt pretty good, I didn't notice any extra fatigue over a 2 hour hammerfest, and managed a good sprint at the end, probably the best sprint I've ever done after one of these rides. I think I need to move the saddle forward too though, but hoping the stem can stay where it is.
Old 04-23-16, 09:30 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ShutUpLegs
I've had trouble, until I switched to Shimano and will probably never go back. I got the Shimano R260s in wide and they are money! Plus scored them brand new online for $100. I'd definitely recommend either of their new line up shoes, R171s, R260s or R321s
I have that problem too. I ride with spec wide, but have to go half size up to make room in the toe box. Shimano shoes are even wider you say? What about arch support, i have medium high arch. What made you decide on the r260s?
Old 04-25-16, 07:49 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
That's the model I got. I haven't had boa shoes before and I would have preferred a different system but boas seem to be the thing now. What insoles did you get?.
May I suggest you go ahead and buy 2-3 more pair if you like them.

I spent a long time trying to find wide shoes I liked. I found a pair of Specialized Pro that didn't fit great, but worked. After a couple of years in them, I really liked them. Then they broke - I pulled the upper off the carbon sole (too many watts I guess.) Anyway, I ordered the new version of the same shoe. They didn't fit anywhere near the same. I used them for a few years, while ordering and trying on new shoes every couple of months.

I eventually ended up with semi-custom Riivo's, which are far from cheap.

The Lakes I tried (236) fit great, but the BOA system was a disaster for me.

I didn't like wide Shimano shoes. If anyone is interested, I have a pair of 44 wide 320s with about 6-months worth of riding on them. I'd sell them cheap.
Old 04-25-16, 09:25 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro
May I suggest you go ahead and buy 2-3 more pair if you like them.
Great advice, and I am absolutely going to do that if I still like them in a month. Years ago when Bontrager first came out with road shoes, and they actually fit me, I bought 2 identical pairs, one of which is now completely dead and the other is on the way out.

I didn't like wide Shimano shoes. If anyone is interested, I have a pair of 44 wide 320s with about 6-months worth of riding on them. I'd sell them cheap.
The Shimanos fit me OK width wise but they bugged me where the tongue hits the front of the ankle.

The Lakes I tried (236) fit great, but the BOA system was a disaster for me.
How so?
Old 04-25-16, 11:26 AM
topflightpro

How so?
I could never get the shoes to stay tight. During sprints or any hard effort when I would be pulling up on the pedal, my heel would slip in the shoe while the BOA would clamp down on my toes. It's my only experience with BOA, and I wonder if it had anything to do with the BOA dial being located behind the heel.

I have a friend who also had those shoes, and he voiced a similar complaint.

I believe the 237 has the dial in a normal position.
Old 04-26-16, 05:54 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I just ordered a 2015 Ridley Fenix frameset which I found on closeout. Just about everything from my Allez Comp Race will transfer over...except the seatpost, which is 31.6 on the Fenix. Recommendations for a 20mm setback seatpost?

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-26-16, 06:14 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I just ordered a 2015 Ridley Fenix frameset which I found on closeout. Just about everything from my Allez Comp Race will transfer over...except the seatpost, which is 31.6 on the Fenix. Recommendations for a 20mm setback seatpost?
I don't know the setback off hand, but I have, what should be, a 31.6 Pro Vibe S seatpost that I cant use anymore..I would let it go cheap
Old 04-27-16, 08:17 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Could someone with both a SRM and an Edge 520 confirm the following:

-Whether auto-zero can be turned off. I assume this function still exists in the latest firmware?

-Whether the unit can read battery info from SRM

thanks in advance!
Old 04-30-16, 06:04 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Thinking of trying wider bars, I have 40cm now which I put a few years back, and maybe it's because I haven't been out a lot and conditioned but yesterday was a bit of a pain in my lower neck area (I was also wearing a cheap helmet I had around because my regular one was in my wife's car so I think I had to left my head more to have good vision). By chance I had stopped at shop and was checking out a synapse and just got over it and grabbed the hoods and was really liked the feel, which I'm attributing in part to the width, although the geometry and spacers may have had the bars up higher than on mine as well. So I may try out a wider pair, but reality is I should just get an actual fitting, or more appropriately get a proper fitting as clearly I'm not very good at self assessing fit lol
Old 05-01-16, 07:22 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you post a video of yourself riding the trainer or rollers, you'll get lots of free fitting advice right here.
Old 05-01-16, 08:50 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by shovelhd
If you post a video of yourself riding the trainer or rollers, you'll get lots of free (but not necessarily wanted or accurate) fitting advice right here.
Fixed that for you. I include myself in those giving unwanted/inaccurate advice.
Old 05-01-16, 08:55 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Thinking of trying wider bars, I have 40cm now which I put a few years back, and maybe it's because I haven't been out a lot and conditioned but yesterday was a bit of a pain in my lower neck area (I was also wearing a cheap helmet I had around because my regular one was in my wife's car so I think I had to left my head more to have good vision). By chance I had stopped at shop and was checking out a synapse and just got over it and grabbed the hoods and was really liked the feel, which I'm attributing in part to the width, although the geometry and spacers may have had the bars up higher than on mine as well. So I may try out a wider pair, but reality is I should just get an actual fitting, or more appropriately get a proper fitting as clearly I'm not very good at self assessing fit lol
Wider bars for me have always been more comfortable when stationary, and even on regular JRA rides. I used to swap in a wide bar for off season training (longer rides in the fall and early spring). However when it comes to making efforts I found that wider bars weren't my favorite. I prefer narrower bars. My shoulders are solidly 42 cm range. I used to ride 42s and 44s, and even tried 46s once (when Lemond used some absurdly wide bars). However within a few years I was using 40s normally and 42s for winter. Now I'm using a bar that measures a touch under 40? I should check it. It's labeled a 40 cm, but c-c is 39 or something. I also have a 42 that measures almost the same, it's only about 0.5 cm wider (same manufacturer, same model).

I think wide bars make my bike feel like an SUV. There's some comfort in the slower speed stability and the leverage if you really need to torque on the bars (like huge pothole or massive front tire touch), but the reality is that for me is that I prefer the narrower bars if I'm racing. I am fine with the leverage I have on the narrower bars.
Old 05-02-16, 07:54 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Stages is dying. Anyone know of a used SRM or Quarq? (172.5mm, BB86, Shimano ultegra groupset)
Old 05-02-16, 08:01 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I've been sold on dem aero wing bar gainz. Likely swapping my round bars out for Specialized Aeroflys...
Old 05-02-16, 08:02 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Other possibilities in that price range are Power2Max and Powertap chainrings (if you have a five bolt 110 BCD crankset).

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-02-16, 08:11 AM
canuckbelle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by revchuck
Other possibilities in that price range are Power2Max and Powertap chainrings (if you have a five bolt 110 BCD crankset).
I'm likely looking for used, which is why I posted here. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
Old 05-02-16, 08:38 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I've been sold on dem aero wing bar gainz. Likely swapping my round bars out for Specialized Aeroflys...
One of Us! One of Us!
Old 05-02-16, 08:57 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by canuckbelle
I'm likely looking for used, which is why I posted here. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
You didn't go with the Verve Infocrank?

I have found that Craigslist is often the best place to find things like that used. I found a great deal on a Cannondale SRM (from LA) and a NOS Caad 10 frameset (from Austin) that way. I had to search CL listings in cities across the US, then email the person. Once I got a response, I then asked if they would be willing to do a transaction through PayPal and mail. I insisted that they bill me via PayPal to protect both of us in the transaction.

It worked out well for me.
Old 05-02-16, 08:59 AM
canuckbelle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You didn't go with the Verve Infocrank?

I have found that Craigslist is often the best place to find things like that used. I found a great deal on a Cannondale SRM (from LA) and a NOS Caad 10 frameset (from Austin) that way. I had to search CL listings in cities across the US, then email the person. Once I got a response, I then asked if they would be willing to do a transaction through PayPal and mail. I insisted that they bill me via PayPal to protect both of us in the transaction.

It worked out well for me.
Infocrank is ~$1400 vs hoping to spend around $600 for a used SRM or Quarq.

Thanks for the suggestion
Old 05-02-16, 09:05 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by canuckbelle
My Stages is dying. Anyone know of a used SRM or Quarq? (172.5mm, BB86, Shimano ultegra groupset)
Not to shill Power2Max but you can get an arm/spider for $630 (FSA) (*edit $610). For a spider-based PM that's a killer price. You'd need a Garmin or some other Ant+ head.

I love my SRM's reliability overall but mine is wired. You can get a used wired SRM but they have some fixed/regular costs. The wires do go bad, no matter how much care you take in installing and attaching/detaching the head. Based on the fact that I have to wiggle the wire just under the head to me indicates that's about where the wire fails. Wiring harness is $65 and figure you buy one every 1-2 years. You have to detach it to download or charge it so no getting around that. There's a proprietary download cable that costs money, another $70-100 (not on the website, maybe it's no longer available). If you like to solder then battery replacements aren't a big deal, but if you don't then it's $100 do get a spider battery done, a little less for the computer head. So that $500 used SRM suddenly costs $70-250+/year to maintain (wiring harness at minimum, battery for spider + wiring harness + battery for head unit). You're limited to about 6 hours of data in the wired at 1s intervals. If you don't charge it it'll be discharged after 6-8 days of riding. It does NOT charge when you plug it in to download data.

The wireless SRM (PC7, PC8 compatible - I wouldn't get the stepchild PC6 version) uses a micro-USB cable, so a normal download cable that you have for your phones, cameras, etc. Wireless so no wired harness on bike. Immediately you eliminate the two known recurring proprietary points of failure.

However, to go wireless would be somewhat more costly. They do offer an upgrade for owners of wired SRMs but they need to check your spider. My generation of Cannondale SI SRM spiders aren't upgradeable. If it were I'd be looking at something similar in cost ($650 or so for upgrade including a refurbished PC7 head), plus some extras (wireless pick ups or something I think).

SRM omg what a stupid website. You can't drop down into the US store because when you move your cursor over toward "US Store" it deselects the online store drop down. go to store.srm.de, should resolve to US if US IP address.

At any rate I wouldn't get a wired SRM without careful consideration. It's accurate and reliable when it has a good spider-battery/computer-head-battery/harness/download-cable but it has very high maintenance costs compared to other powermeters.

Last edited by carpediemracing; 05-02-16 at 09:09 AM. Reason: price correction
Old 05-02-16, 09:13 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
One of Us! One of Us!
They're so inexpensive right now that it'd be silly not to! The down side is it is one less excuse I can fall back on!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.