Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Totally Tubular

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Totally Tubular

Old 07-08-21, 11:15 PM
tcpasley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Has anyone tried the Bontrager R4 Classics tubs? 700x28c, and on half-price sale for $50, which is about the upper end of my tire budget these days.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...Code=black_tan
Likes For tcpasley:
Old 07-09-21, 03:08 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by tcpasley
Has anyone tried the Bontrager R4 Classics tubs? 700x28c, and on half-price sale for $50, which is about the upper end of my tire budget these days.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...Code=black_tan

Man, I might get those for my modern disc bike. It's odd they don't list the thread count but I found a review on the clincher version and it's 320.

The good thing about tubular tires is you can always find high end ones on sale because they probably have trouble selling them.
Old 07-09-21, 01:18 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
just for reference challenge elite pro https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-tubulars.html

Old 07-10-21, 11:36 PM
tcpasley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Man, I might get those for my modern disc bike. It's odd they don't list the thread count but I found a review on the clincher version and it's 320.

The good thing about tubular tires is you can always find high end ones on sale because they probably have trouble selling them.
If you scroll to the bottom of the page you'll see the specs. Took me a while to figure that out - bad webpage design.
I see that the weight is 370g, which may be a little heavy, and it has flat protection, which might make it less supple. Seems like it might be kind of like Continental Sprinter Gatorskins, but wider. That would probably be OK with me.
Likes For tcpasley:
Old 07-11-21, 01:12 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
In preparation for today's ride I mounted a new, well actually newly-repaired by Tire Alert, Veloflex Criterium on the rear of my Masi last night. The tire had been prepped already but that was over a year ago. The rim had been prepped too and ridden a fair amount but suffered a flat on its last ride so I'd mounted a many-times-repaired spare, rode home and parked the bike to be dealt with later. So I put a new layer of Vittoria Mastic on both, waited a while, then mounted the tire on the rim.

The ride today went just fine but I experienced something I've experienced before. The tire, I believe the new rear one, makes a cyclic noise. At speed it sounds like tchck..tchck..tchck at the speed of the wheel rotation. A slower speed the crisp tchck stretches out to skriit...skriit...skriit, or even shriiiish....shriiiish....shriiiish of longer duration. It seems to be the glue pulling away, probably around the valve stem where Ive generally left it more lightly glued. Sometimes it goes away or is quiet on every other or every third rotation, but not for long.

Have any of you ever experienced this? Know how to make it stop? I'm thinking I might pull the tire off and thicken the mastic around the valve stem, but that's just a guess. I imagine I think I believe that I remember that it goes away eventually. But maybe not. What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-11-21, 04:53 PM
semroc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 62 Posts
Hi jimmuller. Yes, I've had this happen to my tubulars. Usually it goes away. Sometimes I'll put glue in there and it'll go away. Tubulars Rule.
Old 07-11-21, 05:42 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
I've been riding Vittoria Paris Roubaix sew-ups on my Bates for commuting and regular rides. They ride quite nice and are robust and comfortable. The only thing I don't care for is the green sidewall. I think I paid $60 each for them. As an aside, round Rallys are better then they get credit for.
Old 07-12-21, 02:40 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by JJScaliger
I've been riding Vittoria Paris Roubaix sew-ups on my Bates for commuting and regular rides. They ride quite nice and are robust and comfortable. The only thing I don't care for is the green sidewall. I think I paid $60 each for them. As an aside, round Rallys are better then they get credit for.
Vittoria came out with their new line up of tires a couple of years ago and they got rid of the green sidewall option. The only tubular they make now is the Rally. I don't really like their new stuff. My favorite clincher tire was the Open Corsa and that's discontinued. I don't like the tread on their new tires.
Old 07-12-21, 12:05 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
Vittoria came out with their new line up of tires a couple of years ago and they got rid of the green sidewall option. The only tubular they make now is the Rally. I don't really like their new stuff. My favorite clincher tire was the Open Corsa and that's discontinued. I don't like the tread on their new tires.
I don't understand the comment then don't make tubulars. I see a number of tubular options for vittora. the replacement for the green pave is the Corsa Control.

Old 07-12-21, 01:03 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by JJScaliger
AFAIK, Vittoria never made a Paris Roubaix model... you're probably thinking Pavé... and the green sidewall is a badge of pride. I also really like the file tread pattern.
Old 07-14-21, 11:55 AM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
Yeah pave, my bad. I think it looks like I'm trying too hard to color coordinate with my bike.

Bates bar

they definitely are nice tires.
I rode in to work today. Foggy and misty in morning.
Likes For JJScaliger:
Old 07-14-21, 05:04 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by semroc
Hi jimmuller. Yes, I've had this happen to my tubulars. Usually it goes away. Sometimes I'll put glue in there and it'll go away. Tubulars Rule.
Thank you for the reply.
Old 07-14-21, 11:14 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I can get that noise at the valve if I don't follow directions and give the newly mounted tire a day or two to dry. I have pulled the tire away near the valve and injected more glue but now I wait.
Old 07-14-21, 11:26 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by johnnyace
Vittoria Rally on my newly acquired Gitane TdF. Been a looong time since I rode tubulars, I'm in love all over again.
Consider getting some Stans if the valves have removable cores(mine do). The base tape on Rallys is a ***** to remove when patching a tube. A Vittoria Corsa spare will introduce you to nice tires and be an ok match to your Rallys. Get a pair if you see a deal. I think the Continentals have the fewest QC issues. Gatorskins ride like Rallys and unless you ride gravel are not worth it. Regular Spinters are my go to and often on sale.
Old 07-15-21, 01:02 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Anyone used Stan's in an FMB or Veloflex? It has been my experience that it ruins the latex tube in the long run. Someone else have experience to share?

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 07-16-21, 08:20 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
Anyone used Stan's in an FMB or Veloflex? It has been my experience that it ruins the latex tube in the long run. Someone else have experience to share?
I've used Stan's in Vittoria with latex tubes... no prob. Worked at least once... kind of... got me home at least.
Didn't work at least once.

Next time I put on new tubulars, I'll cut one open to see what it's like. Here's one that didn't use any sealant.
Old 07-17-21, 09:55 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I've used Stan's in Vittoria with latex tubes... no prob. Worked at least once... kind of... got me home at least.
Didn't work at least once.
Next time I put on new tubulars, I'll cut one open to see what it's like. Here's one that didn't use any sealant.
My experience was it was all good for a while. Then go to pump up for a ride one day and sealant all over the place. Trip to Tire Alert followed.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 07-17-21, 04:21 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
Yes, I've used Stan's with Veloflex (and Dugast, Challenge, Vittoria, Continental, Ritchey, etc.). I've only had a problem with Stan's once on a tubular, and that was on a Vittoria Corsa G+. I got a blowout on the tire after running over some glass (loud pop and sudden loss of air). The tube sort of collapsed on itself and fused together along several sections, including the valve area. This prevented me from being able to apply my sealant or even pump up the tire to try to find the leak. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the sealant that was already in the tube may have caused the issue once the blowout happened. Otherwise, I'm a happy Stan's consumer.

Untitled by gaucho777, on Flickr
Old 07-17-21, 06:40 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Pulled out my fixed gear bike to ride today, and lo and behold, the rear tubular tire was flat. No sign of a sealant leak, so I couldn't determine where the puncture is. Nothing fancy; just a YJ "3 for $50" tire, but I've had good luck with those. This one is on its second or third season and still has decent tread. Felt like riding rather than dealing with it, so a swapped the tubular wheels for clincher wheels and went for a ride. When I got back, I squirted some more Stan's inside (not easy, as the valve cores aren't removable), pumped it up, swished it around, and still no obvious sealant leak. I'll keep checking, and if I find it, I'll position the wheel with the leak site down, so the sealant can pool there and plug the hole. Otherwise, if it's still holding pressure tomorrow, I'll put it back in service and hope for the best.
Old 07-17-21, 06:43 PM
Classtime 

My understanding is that early formula Stans was not kind to latex tubes. But nowadays, there is nothing to worry about.
Old 07-18-21, 02:54 AM
Lazyass

I've read that Caffélatex is good for latex tubes, it produces a foam. You can buy it in a little 60ml pouch that fits in a jersey pocket.
Old 07-18-21, 12:16 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by Classtime
My understanding is that early formula Stans was not kind to latex tubes. But nowadays, there is nothing to worry about.
I've been putting Stans in Veloflex tires with latex tubes for several years now and have had no problem. The only would-not-fix problem I've had was a hole it would seal but not be able to hold the high pressure I like to ride. Still, it would hold enough to get me home.
Old 07-23-21, 01:02 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
I'm having an aluminum tubular disc wheelset built for my modern bike and I'm going to buy Panaracer Race C Evo3's for $70/pair.

Panaracer Race C Evo3 Tubular Tire SET: 700c (28") x 26mm - Bulk Discounts (NEW, PAIR) - Bike Recyclery
I went ahead and picked up a pair of these this morning, seems like a stellar deal at $70/pair. Always liked the Panaracer clinchers I've owned, might as well try their tubulars at this price.
Old 07-23-21, 05:32 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Day before yesterday had a flat out on the road on a tire that looked totally 100% good, and has been reliable. About 7 miles from home, and all I found in the tread were a couple of very small, almost imperceptible cuts in the tread with nothing to extract.

The old bottle of Stan's liquid latex was in the backpack and a very old spare. No glue, no tape.

Long story short = The liquid latex did not work, even with a 2nd larger shot of liquid; but the old tubular held out til home, but went flat soon thereafter.

I will post mortem this flat tire rather than just pitch it, to find what took it out so catastrophically and irreparably.

Luckily my wakeup call to be prepared with better spare and tape to hold it in place. Luckily I had a bunch of CO2 cartridges as I kept trying the Stan's, before going to spare tire.

Remember, after so many miles, those trusty old tires, ain't so trusty.
Old 07-28-21, 08:26 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Luckily my wakeup call to be prepared with better spare and tape to hold it in place. Luckily I had a bunch of CO2 cartridges as I kept trying the Stan's, before going to spare tire.
I don't use Stan's or any equivalent but I did start carrying more cartridges after have 2 flats (with replacement tube) and a loss of air during one 11 mile commute to work. Didn't want to be late. Fixed it at the desk later in the day and used my pump to get it good enough to get to work with 4 stops to pump up far enough and riding on the handlebars to reduce weight on the rear tire. Semi-slow leak.

OH! does this belong in the "I hate flat tires" thread?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.