Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Stupid/Funny/Ignorant things your co-workers say:

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Stupid/Funny/Ignorant things your co-workers say:

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 10:10 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Furcifer

"Why are you late all the time?"
I used to get "why are you always early?"

I tended to leave earlier than I really needed to allow for uncontrolled situations, such as flats. I also like to cool down before starting work, so generally I was in the office a bit early, before the coffee seekers huddle around the coffee machine. I always found that amusing... that the first thing many folks do when the get to the office is seek coffee and then stand around doing nothing but drink coffee for the first 1/2 hour of the work day.
Old 09-05-14, 10:31 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Not necessarily stupid or ignorant, but this morning as I was locking up my bike, a coworker getting out of her car said, "It just amazes me that you time getting here so well."

I don't know why that would be difficult. She obviously knows how long it takes her to drive here. Why couldn't I figure out how long it takes for me to ride? It's not like there will suddenly be a hill or an extra 5 miles unexpectedly appearing on my route.

In fact, my timing is probably more consistent than most drivers because I generally don't have any traffic delays.
I think you manage your time well before you leave home, because nothing detracts you from leaving on time. If you were detracted, you'd say fudge it and then drive in.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-05-14, 10:44 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
My point was senior execs are no different than anyone else. There are good and bad people period.
At that particular company, several of the senior execs were involved... so the top seemed to be mostly bad people... and they laid off quite a few good people.
Old 09-05-14, 10:52 AM
LokiWolflord

Bikes: 2015 Motobecane Fantom Cross, 2012 Giant Escape 2, 1982 Trek 710

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suppose that the most ignorant thing that my co-workers say is, "15 miles? I could never do that." Of course you can. You just need to work up to it. After you ride the 15 miles in, you've got 9 hours behind a desk to cool down before you do the 15 miles back.

I also get the classic, "Did you ride to work today?" and "Are you riding home?"
Old 09-05-14, 10:56 AM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get asked "How many miles?" very regularly - that is expected. When I reply with "3 miles one way" I invariably get a condescending "Oh, that's not much" as if they would have too, but for the distance. Very irritating.
Old 09-05-14, 11:56 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LokiWolflord
I also get the classic, "Did you ride to work today?" and "Are you riding home?"
No, I just ride in, I get a new bike every morning.
Old 09-05-14, 12:37 PM
LokiWolflord

Bikes: 2015 Motobecane Fantom Cross, 2012 Giant Escape 2, 1982 Trek 710

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treadtread
I get asked "How many miles?" very regularly - that is expected. When I reply with "3 miles one way" I invariably get a condescending "Oh, that's not much" as if they would have too, but for the distance. Very irritating.
I had a casual conversation while I was riding to a party in a park with a woman who was jogging. We were chatting while we were waiting for a light to change and she asked me how far my commute was. I told her 15 miles one-way. She told me that she also commuted to work on her bike. Then she apologized for the fact that her commute was only 4 miles. I told her that it was great that she rode those 4 miles instead of driving that distance, which is what most people in this part of California do.

You're in San Francisco so those 3 miles are probably all up hill in one direction too. I love that city, but man, those hills are nasty.
Old 09-05-14, 01:39 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I wish I could ride but I have to wear a tie to work.
You should say "I am not going to lose my man card to a bunch of mormons who do it every day"
Old 09-05-14, 03:21 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treadtread
That is irritating. I get the opposite even though my commute isn't very long. I'm amazed at how many people think six miles (12 r/t) is a long way to ride a bike.
Old 09-05-14, 04:27 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
..I also get the classic, "Did you ride to work today?" and "Are you riding home?"
I take those comments as cheerful greetings, like "Nice weather today?," and IMO that's a sign of respect, distinction, and even affection; not a bad way to be recognized.

I would not consider them "Stupid/Funny/Ignorant."
Old 09-05-14, 04:38 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a casual conversation while I was riding to a party in a park with a woman who was jogging. We were chatting while we were waiting for a light to change and she asked me how far my commute was. I told her 15 miles one-way. She told me that she also commuted to work on her bike. Then she apologized for the fact that her commute was only 4 miles. I told her that it was great that she rode those 4 miles instead of driving that distance, which is what most people in this part of California do.

You're in San Francisco so those 3 miles are probably all up hill in one direction too. I love that city, but man, those hills are nasty.
I live on the Peninsula - I added a small hill to my route just to add some challenge It still takes effort and discipline to bike every day - its the casual dismissal of that which irritates me.
Old 09-05-14, 05:04 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
I've bike commuted to work for years, and still, when it's raining, there's always someone who asks "Did you come on your bike today?"
Old 09-05-14, 05:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
That is irritating. I get the opposite even though my commute isn't very long. I'm amazed at how many people think six miles (12 r/t) is a long way to ride a bike.
Try expressing it in time instead of miles. Most people can imagine 30 to 40 minutes of moderate exercise. They don't even know they're capable of getting places on a bike. It seems harder than working out at the gym for 40 minutes.

Test my theory and let us know your results.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-05-14, 05:50 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Try expressing it in time instead of miles. Most people can imagine 30 to 40 minutes of moderate exercise. They don't even know they're capable of getting places on a bike. It seems harder than working out at the gym for 40 minutes.

Test my theory and let us know your results.
That's a good point. I'm usually asked "how far?" so I answer in distance. I could add "it's only about a half hour each way."

Oh, and, yes I do read your signature.
Old 09-05-14, 05:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

That's a good point. I'm usually asked "how far?" so I answer in distance. I could add "it's only about a half hour each way."
Try stating the time before the distance. Give it time for it to sink in. See what happens.

Oh, and, yes I do read your signature.
Nice of you to mention it. You're the first so far.

Old 09-05-14, 06:00 PM
jacobinchina

Bikes: Not enough

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try expressing it in time instead of miles.
That's what I have started to do. I think I may even have got some cow orkers to consider biking to work a few times a week...
Old 09-05-14, 06:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by jacobinchina
That's what I have started to do. I think I may even have got some cow orkers to consider biking to work a few times a week...
It works! Good spelling, too. I normally spell it cow-orkers, but you can leave the hyphen out.

Old 09-05-14, 08:21 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Try expressing it in time instead of miles.
Try expressing it in kilometers instead of miles. If you want to sound sophisticated, actually say the word "kilometers". If you'd rather sound impressive just leave it out and say only the number, let them think miles.
Old 09-06-14, 08:35 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
My last commute was about 6 miles, and I'd get confused looks some times when people were trying to figure out if that was a long distance to ride or not. When I mentioned it was about a half hour of exercise it did seem to be more understandable to people who could relate to spending a half hour exercising in the gym.
Old 09-06-14, 03:17 PM
GhostSS

Bikes: 2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1990 Giant Cadex 980c, 1986 Peugeot PH10LE, 1995 Trek 2120 Carbon ZX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Not my co-workers, but other office goers in my building always ask "Are you a bike messenger/courier?"

My transformation from bike commute clothes to office clothes is pretty radical and no one recognizes me as the same person.
Old 09-06-14, 10:27 PM
TrekCommuter

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.2 FX & 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Try expressing it in kilometers instead of miles. If you want to sound sophisticated, actually say the word "kilometers". If you'd rather sound impressive just leave it out and say only the number, let them think miles.
I like to use furlongs. Really an underrated unit of measure.
Old 09-06-14, 11:11 PM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My coworkers are always offering me rides home and act surprised everytime when I tell the no thanks I enjoy riding, it's the winter when I get the most comments usually "are you nuts". Funny thing about riding throughout he winter is I'm a cold weather guy I prefer to and run more races in the winter and I prefer to MTB in the winter so they look at me even crazier when I tell me I love the cold, they also think it's weird that I wear shorts til 30f.
Old 09-07-14, 08:16 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@Fizzaly, are you nuts?!

Old 09-07-14, 09:17 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I take those comments as cheerful greetings, like "Nice weather today?," and IMO that's a sign of respect, distinction, and even affection; not a bad way to be recognized.

I would not consider them "Stupid/Funny/Ignorant."
+1

I enjoy the opportunity for some cycling small-talk anyhow.
Old 09-07-14, 03:25 PM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
My favorite comment was a couple years ago as I was walking out of the back door of the office. A couple co-workers were standing there watching me put on my helmet and goggles and one of them said, "Looks like you're ready to be shot out of the cannon. Can I watch?"

I laughed pretty good at that one. It was all in fun.
We had a major snowstorm here last winter (-22C for several days) when normally we only get a light dusting that is melted before noon. I kitted myself out with a snowsuit, parka, wool cap, goggles, balaclava, the works. One of the security guards saw me coming in before I'd taken everything off and asked me where I parked my Taun-taun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.