Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park Tool BBT-69.2 or BBT-9 for external lockrings?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-22, 10:29 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts

One of my bikes came with a DT Swiss wheelset that uses external lockrings for the disc rotors. I was thinking of getting the Park Tool BBT-69.2, but I'd need to buy a ratchet or breaker bar since I have neither. Would the BBT-9 be fine instead?
Old 04-30-22, 09:31 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
You might want to send your query to Park Tool. I've asked them technical questions such as yours and they've responded pretty quickly. Best to hear the answer directly from them.
Likes For MudPie:
Old 04-30-22, 11:45 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by MudPie
You might want to send your query to Park Tool. I've asked them technical questions such as yours and they've responded pretty quickly. Best to hear the answer directly from them.
I know the BBT-9 can be used on the same 16t external lockrings, it's more that I don't know whether buying it will make me regret not going with the more expensive version that allows for the use of ratchet and torque wrenches. Do people tend to precisely torque their lockrings or just go on feel?
Old 05-01-22, 01:50 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
I can’t say that I’ve ever torqued a lock ring, but that has more to do with not owning any torque tools for long enough that I got a decent feel for it.
Looking online those two are the same price, and I consider a breaker bar to be a standard tool worth owning. While not needed a long lever, used responsibly, is really nice sometimes. It looks like to socket version takes up less space too. Having your load application offset from the handle has pluses and minuses depending on the circumstances.
Old 05-01-22, 08:38 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I use a torque wrench to tighten both disc rotor and cassette lockrings since the specified 40 -50 N-m is more torque than most people think and I already have suitable torque wrenches. That said, as long as you get them "very tight" it's probably adequate to go by feel. 3/8"-sq drive and 1/2"-sq drive breaker bars don't have to be expensive and I found mine used at local flea markets for less than $10/each for good brand names. Even Harbour Freight tools are adequate quality for this use.
Old 05-01-22, 10:08 AM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Might as well get the newly released Park BBT-69.3. It allows you to use it with the (also) new Park BBT-RS Bottom Bracket Tool Retaining System.

BBT-69.3
Pros:
- all aluminum, so it doesn't mar the BB's external surfaces (more relevant if BB is colour anodized).
- 3/8" square drive for rachets, torque wrenches, and breaker bars

Cons:
- if you use a breaker bar, the stress will make the square 3/8" aluminum hole into a non-square hole

BBT-9
Pros:
- steel, so wears well
Cons:
- since it doesn't cup over the entire BB, easier to slip and mar the bike frame
- relatively short lever handle
- can't use a breaker bar or torque wrench

I had both; sold both and now use the Cyclus Snap.in system. But then I run a shop; for most people the BBT-69.3 is fine (or get a BBT-69.2 cheap from someone upgrading to a BBT-69.3)
Old 05-01-22, 10:46 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Numerozero
Might as well get the newly released Park BBT-69.3. It allows you to use it with the (also) new Park BBT-RS Bottom Bracket Tool Retaining System.

BBT-69.3
Pros:
- all aluminum, so it doesn't mar the BB's external surfaces (more relevant if BB is colour anodized).
- 3/8" square drive for rachets, torque wrenches, and breaker bars

Cons:
- if you use a breaker bar, the stress will make the square 3/8" aluminum hole into a non-square hole

BBT-9
Pros:
- steel, so wears well
Cons:
- since it doesn't cup over the entire BB, easier to slip and mar the bike frame
- relatively short lever handle
- can't use a breaker bar or torque wrench

I had both; sold both and now use the Cyclus Snap.in system. But then I run a shop; for most people the BBT-69.3 is fine (or get a BBT-69.2 cheap from someone upgrading to a BBT-69.3)
The Snap-In seems cool-ish but a a nice Snap-On ratchet and the various compatible sockets would be my choice. However not having seen it or used it I don't want to totally pass on it probably in shop it is fine but mobile usage I want small and multi purpose.

BBRT is actually pretty neat, I am surprised I missed that one it actually looks to be quite handy. Didn't need more tools but I will put that on the list.

For the OP BBT-69.3 or a similar Abbey or other quality tool certainly would be the way to go.