Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spacer Material: Does It Even Matter?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-22, 06:22 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts

So, let's say that you need to space a brake caliper away from an adapter or a mount because you'd like to use a larger rotor for whatever reason (say, from 160mm to 165mm or 170mm.) Would you rather use a spacer that's aluminum alloy, brass, or steel? Would you use one or the other just because you happen to have a few lying around? Does it even matter?
Old 06-28-22, 06:40 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Out of those choices, it doesn't matter. Use whatever you have on hand.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 06-28-22, 08:09 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Strength wise, it won't matter for a bicycle application. Aluminum has the advantage of being lighter if that matters to you.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-28-22, 09:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Titanium if it's going to show and you care about such things. Anything but cardboard will work just as well.
Old 06-28-22, 10:01 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Depends on the metal it's bolted on to help avoid galvanic corrosion. You can also grease the thing to further prevent galvanic corrosion.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 06-28-22, 01:56 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Aluminum cans (beer, pop, whatever) makes great spacer and shim material, sometimes in multiple layers to get the thickness you need. It's very easy to work with - you can cut it to shape with an ordinary kitchen scissors, or any scissors other than one you want to keep really sharp (i.e. sewing, hair cutting, etc). A dab of super glue will hold layers together if you need to.
Old 06-28-22, 02:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
I'd probably use what ever I had on hand. Just so I could ride sooner. If the looks bothered me or it started to corrode at some point in the future, then I'd deal with it then and use some other material that might work better in the long run.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-28-22, 08:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I would just use the proper adapter generally from the manufacturer who made the brake caliper but North Shore Billet, Paul make really great stuff and work nicely. If I needed spacers I would probably use stainless steel spacers or aluminum if I had those on hand but generally I shouldn't have that issue if using the correct adapter.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-29-22, 06:46 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
If you're spacing a brake caliper, I'd use only a monoblock spacer designed for this application. I think they're all aluminum alloy, but the material is less important than the structural rigidity here. The original post reads to me like individual spacers are being considered that would simply move the caliper further from the mount (such as small cylindrical spacers). This will create a lot of lateral load on the spacers and fasteners during brake application and I'd be concerned about failure here. Individual spacers will also likely not put the caliper in the best position relative to the rotor...most monoblock spacers rotate the caliper slightly in addition to moving it further from the mount, to ensure the swept area of the pads remains in good contact with the rotor's braking surface.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 06-29-22, 08:00 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
If you use paper spacers, make sure to treat them with oil.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-29-22, 08:17 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I've been told that wax is better for treating paper spacers. Why do you think they came out with wax paper?
Old 06-29-22, 08:40 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
I've been told that wax is better for treating paper spacers. Why do you think they came out with wax paper?
The wax in that paper is just like the shipping grease on a new chain. It should be carefully removed with the solvent of your choice in an ultrasonic cleaner, then replaced with a less dirt attracting high temperature brake specific lubricant. If the lubricant doesn’t cost 2x more than it should the you’re using the wrong one.

Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 06-30-22, 07:32 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
The wax in that paper is just like the shipping grease on a new chain. It should be carefully removed with the solvent of your choice in an ultrasonic cleaner, then replaced with a less dirt attracting high temperature brake specific lubricant. If the lubricant doesn’t cost 2x more than it should the you’re using the wrong one.

No comment on wax but the chains and other parts you refer to indeed may be coated for shipping as in industry we store them in a warehouses for what can be extended periods of time and there lubrication needs are to be met when put in service. This is not the case with the high quality chains of Shimano, Campagnolo, Sram, KMC who have a vested interest in your finding value in their chains and so use high quality lubes and recommend you do not remove it. I suspect this is not the case with many "budget" chains offered today.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 06-30-22, 08:06 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
While most of my posts are quite serious, I hope nobody takes that particular one seriously.
As for the religious matter of factory chain lubricants, I defer to the ZFC report.