Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

ToC surprises

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

ToC surprises

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 09:24 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ToC surprises

What has surprised you about the ToC so far? I'll tell you a few surprises for me:

1. Team Cervelo has been a player at all.
2. Landis and Basso have done so poorly. Especially Basso!
3. Armstrong has done as well as he has.
4. Vande Velde hasn't done better.
5. Sastre has been a pack filler!
6. Versus channel has cut off the end of a stage and extended some by a lot unannounced. Makes for very difficult DVR recordings!!
7. So much repetition of meaningless crap and facts by the commentators. Some is expected, but I guess I never expected it to this degree.
8. More clown on the roads with costumes than one would expect. Then again, it is Kalifornia.
9. Lots of crappy roads.
10. No real mention of most other significant riders in the race outside Armstrong or Leipheimer. Then again, this is the Tour of Armstrong!!
11. That indian chick for Versus is actually somewhat funny!!

Tell us your surprises.
Old 02-20-09, 09:37 PM
bhikkhu

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A big stage race in February still needs some getting used to, I think. It wasn't that long ago that the season would just be getting in gear for a long slow start.

I'd like to see Basso and Landis do better, and it is good to see Armstrong in shape and working for Levi, but its a long way to the Grand Tours. Even so, I think Cali has done a great job of putting the race on, and I hope its back every year.
Old 02-20-09, 09:38 PM
bbllaakke

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Giant Cadex, Waterford X-11, Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS, Viscount Aerospace Pro, Scwinn Passage

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
11. That indian chick for Versus is actually somewhat funny!!
ehh, no.
Old 02-20-09, 09:39 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
How about this: Levi attacked!
Old 02-20-09, 09:40 PM
dsellinger
slowest!

Bikes: Felt, Atala, Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Vs. thing has been a bit of a pain, I think they planned on the stages being done a little quicker and thats how the time slots first got assigned. So instead of doing the last 2/3 of the stage live, they do the last 2/3 but cut out 5 min to the end, and then at 8(pacific) they have been doing a stage recap and then the last 5 min of the race.
It's a pain but at least i can record it. Before it would just run overtime and the dvr would quit recording. This way at least there is a show I can schedule to record.
Old 02-20-09, 09:51 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
How about this: Levi attacked!
Yes and how, I do think it was a combination of Levi's great early season fitness, high motivation and Armstrong's influence. He seemed like he was doing an Armstrong maneuver of yesteryear. Could also be the amazing quality of the Astana squad is giving him a lot of support and motivation.

I'll tell you something even more strange. If you look at Levi's photo of the TT stage on Velo News, his face even looks like Armstrong in that picture. So much so that I thought it was Armstrong until I realized that it couldn't be him in the yellow suit.

Actually, I'm pretty impressed by Armstrong's performance since I thought he would be performing more where Landis is after being out for so long. Considering Landis has an artificial hip socket I'm pretty impressed by his performance also.

Last edited by Hezz; 02-20-09 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-20-09, 10:16 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Armstrong is almost riding too strong for February. Sastre was getting shelled on some of the tougher climbs. It's amazing how some of these guys come around to have such improved form by May or July. Landis isn't riding that bad. Levi always rides like a beast, February or July, it's just that his form varies less, and by the Tour de France his form was good for 3rd instead of 1st. But he is without question one of the top 5 all around riders on the planet at the moment. His career really has not disappointed, but man I'd love to see Levi win a Grand Tour in Europe. His bike racing years grow short. The ideal outcome for me in the Tour de France would be Contador cracks, Levi and Armstrong duke it out for the team leadership and Levi prevails. Far fetched perhaps, but far from impossible.

Can you imagine how cool it would be to have two 35+ Americans fighting for the Yellow Jersey? Man that would ROCK. They can't ride against each other because they're on the same team you say? I think they can if they're close enough in the GC and it gets to some late Tour TT. But that's July. We should all live that friggin long. There's a lot of bike racing between now and then. It's going to be huge fun watching Astana this year, that's for sure. And I really hope it helps the bicycle industry sell a few more bikes in what's shaping up to be a very tough retail year.
Old 02-20-09, 10:27 PM
Hezz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's going to be interesting to see what effect this early season high intensity riding is going to have on Armstrong when the TDF comes around. Perhaps he is looking at this year as a method for getting back into pro form in an attempt to make a serious TDF challenge in 2010. One thing is for certain. If he continues to race like this and he is able to continue to maintain his fitness he might be a real contender for the 2009 TDF podium.
Old 02-20-09, 10:29 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Hezz
It's going to be interesting to see what effect this early season high intensity riding is going to have on Armstrong when the TDF comes around. Perhaps he is looking at this year as a method for getting back into pro form in an attempt to make a serious TDF challenge in 2010. One thing is for certain. If he continues to race like this and he is able to continue to maintain his fitness he might be a real contender for the 2009 TDF podium.
Armstrong's form looks like it's for real at the moment, the only question is can he take it up a notch or two, can he peak in July and not burn out riding this hard in February/March, and can he recover during a three week stage race @ age 37 (almost 38, his birthday is in September).
Old 02-20-09, 10:41 PM
Hezz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Armstrong's form looks like it's for real at the moment, the only question is can he take it up a notch or two, can he peak in July and not burn out riding this hard in February/March, and can he recover during a three week stage race @ age 37 (almost 38, his birthday is in September).
I think this is going to be the big question. Recovery is always the biggest issue in a grand tour. And a much bigger issue at Lance's age. And the Giro a month or so before the TDF. This has to be one of Armstrong's toughest seasons leading up to the TDF if I am not mistaken. But then again he is under no pressure because he is just out to race his bike and generate as much publicity as possible.
Old 02-20-09, 10:44 PM
travkat
Go as fast as you can

Bikes: Ritte Bosberg with SRAM Red and Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was pleased but surprised at the performance of Rock Racing. King of the Mountains, in the break everyday and a top ten (so far). Also, Levi attacking, the race getting a bit blown apart in the first day or so due to weather etc. I am looking forward to the last two days...hopefully some good action on Palomar mtn.
Old 02-20-09, 10:46 PM
Hezz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think what I like the most about the TOC is the utter drama of the race due to early season conditions. Bad weather, inconsistent fitness among racers, technical difficulties due to weather, etc.
Old 02-20-09, 11:13 PM
mazdatech10
master auto tech

Bikes: ,system six ss, , caad9 cross, supersix evo hm, giant omiuim

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
pcad sastre is still sick at least sounded like that today, and put in a good TT to boot, basso out with knee

Last edited by mazdatech10; 02-20-09 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-20-09, 11:16 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The FREE and live video feed on Cycling.TV with some english dude and Magnus Backstedt has been really pretty good.
Old 02-20-09, 11:29 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Craig Hummer is kind of disappointing to listen to. Phil & Paul are great. I don't understand why they have the 3rd wheel there...
Old 02-20-09, 11:31 PM
rivethead

Bikes: 2008 Felt F85 w/Rival, 2010 Ridley Crossbow EL w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by save10
The FREE and live video feed on Cycling.TV with some english dude and Magnus Backstedt has been really pretty good.
+1, Magnus rules

I wish the other guy wouldn't talk so loudly, though.
Old 02-20-09, 11:52 PM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
rock racings display today shouldn't have been a surprise...but i was embarrassed for the driver trying, and miserably failing, to get a bike off the roof rack to help hamilton...i hope hamilton was mocking ball when he threw up the horns..."is this rock and roll ball?"

someone else said it best...this is levi and astanas race...with the local teams trying to get coverage in breaks...and training for the rest.
Old 02-20-09, 11:57 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by frpax
Craig Hummer is kind of disappointing to listen to. Phil & Paul are great. I don't understand why they have the 3rd wheel there...
In my opinion, Bob Roll is the only American announcer I have seen who could completely hold his own with Phil and Paul. So many of the others seem like they got stuck with the job as their second (or third, or fourth, or...) choice. And in all fairness to Craig, he doesn't seem as bad as most of his predecessors. Bob's goofy, which I like, but you can tell that he has a genuine appreciation and love for the sport. After all, he's a former pro who has been there, done that. I remember cheering for him when he rode for 7-Eleven; even then he was one of the more colorful characters around.

Disclaimers:
1) I don't ever recall having seen EventServices work with either Phil or Paul; I'm sure he would do a fine job.
2) Even though John Eustice isn't as polished as Phil and Paul (who is?), I still like to hear his announcing. I am a bit biased though, because he was local pro when I began racing in the 80's. It was always good to go to his clinics and learn from what he had to say. Some of it still rings true, over 20 years later.
3) I know Phil makes mistakes. However, for anyone who remembers the sparse coverage of cycling on TV in the 80's, Phil Liggett is THE Voice of Pro Cycling; hearing him commentate on ski jumping at a Winter Olympics seemed so out of place.
Old 02-21-09, 12:32 AM
peterot

Bikes: Neuvation FC100 w Rival, Trek E9, Santa Cruz Superlight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Armstrong is almost riding too strong for February. Sastre was getting shelled on some of the tougher climbs. It's amazing how some of these guys come around to have such improved form by May or July. Landis isn't riding that bad. Levi always rides like a beast, February or July, it's just that his form varies less, and by the Tour de France his form was good for 3rd instead of 1st. But he is without question one of the top 5 all around riders on the planet at the moment. His career really has not disappointed, but man I'd love to see Levi win a Grand Tour in Europe. His bike racing years grow short. The ideal outcome for me in the Tour de France would be Contador cracks, Levi and Armstrong duke it out for the team leadership and Levi prevails. Far fetched perhaps, but far from impossible.

Can you imagine how cool it would be to have two 35+ Americans fighting for the Yellow Jersey? Man that would ROCK. They can't ride against each other because they're on the same team you say? I think they can if they're close enough in the GC and it gets to some late Tour TT. But that's July. We should all live that friggin long. There's a lot of bike racing between now and then. It's going to be huge fun watching Astana this year, that's for sure. And I really hope it helps the bicycle industry sell a few more bikes in what's shaping up to be a very tough retail year.
Pcad just made me gag.
Old 02-21-09, 12:39 AM
peterot

Bikes: Neuvation FC100 w Rival, Trek E9, Santa Cruz Superlight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zero surprises. Levi is winning, Cav with a couple of stages and a bunch of guys running sub par as you would expect in Feb. I dont care how star studded the field is, the ToC needs to move up to a spring date to really make the star studded field count for anything. Better stages. Maybe try a summit finish, duh!!!!! In summary, it is no Tour of Georgia.
Old 02-21-09, 12:59 AM
Tapeworm21

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My biggest surprise....

Seeing the speedometer for their final sprint after a 134 mile race. 45ish mph? Jesus. I feel like such a wussy when I watch these guys.
Old 02-21-09, 01:32 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by HigherGround
Disclaimers:
1) I don't ever recall having seen EventServices work with either Phil or Paul; I'm sure he would do a fine job.
2) Even though John Eustice isn't as polished as Phil and Paul (who is?), I still like to hear his announcing. I am a bit biased though, because he was local pro when I began racing in the 80's. It was always good to go to his clinics and learn from what he had to say. Some of it still rings true, over 20 years later.
3) I know Phil makes mistakes. However, for anyone who remembers the sparse coverage of cycling on TV in the 80's, Phil Liggett is THE Voice of Pro Cycling; hearing him commentate on ski jumping at a Winter Olympics seemed so out of place.
1. Thanks! but I have begun my push to take over producing the program.
2. Eustice knows so much about the sport. He's awesome.
3. I can't criticize other people's mistakes. I introduced a Cuban rider today as being from Colombia because I mis-read the COL as being Colombia instead of the three-letter abbreviation for Colavita-Sutter Home. Then when I got to the CUB which is the three letter abbreviation for Cuba, realized my mistake.
I should have just let it go; no one would have noticed. But instead I tried to fix it and only highlighted the error more.
Old 02-21-09, 01:41 AM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sure it's tough for race announcers to talk nearly continuously, off the top of their heads, and recalling much of the information from memory. Someone once said that if you want to appreciate what announcers do, mute your TV, and try doing your own commentary without any dead air. If I had to call a field sprint, I'd hand the mike over to someone else!
Old 02-21-09, 01:48 AM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hasn't Sastre ALWAYS been pack fodder in any race not beginning with a 'T', and ending in an 'our de France'? And even then he's pack fodder a lot of the time.

And that Indian girl has no redeeming qualities at all. She's got that annoying quality of making her voice louder when she thinks she's goign to say something funny or outrageous.
Old 02-21-09, 02:34 AM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrimsonKarter21
Hasn't Sastre ALWAYS been pack fodder in any race not beginning with a 'T', and ending in an 'our de France'? And even then he's pack fodder a lot of the time.
Funny, but not entirely true. He has twice finished on the podium (overall) at the Vuelta and been the Vuelta King of the Mountains. However much of his early career was spent as a domestique, especially for Basso. He's also one of the few riders to complete all three of the Grand Tours in the same season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.