Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about buying tires at Amazon...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-06-22, 12:01 AM
SteveInConverse

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

So I ordered a WTB Nano (wire bead) and when it arrived it was twisted into a figure 8, I guess to make the package smaller. I took it out of the package and popped it into it's full shape and inspected it...it seemed ok. It mounted to the rim fine and seated as it should. I about had a heart attack seeing it "folded up" the way it was. Anyone have the same experience with Amazon?
Old 03-06-22, 12:23 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 258 Posts
It may or may not be the shipper doing this, but it is a common method for backpacking a wire bead, totally fine for short times.
Old 03-06-22, 12:29 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
My personal soap box: don't buy tires or any bike stuff from Amazon. There's a lot of actual bike shop online sellers with free or very reasonable shipping that are competitive with Amazon prices. Plus they know what they're doing and you can get actual advice by chat or over the phone. Yeah, some of them do sell through Amazon, but I'm just so tired of the crappy fulfillment and business practices of Amazon, I'm starting to get kind of preachy about it. I put together two full bikes about a year ago without buying a single item from Amazon, and did some price and availability comparisons and Amazon didn't offer anything over the real bike sellers, or if there was, it was so minor as to be irrelevant.
Old 03-06-22, 01:15 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Wired tires have arrived from numerous vendors at my door in a figure-8 dozens of times. I think it's okay for them to be like that for a few weeks.

For my own bikes (not flips), I've been buying folding beads.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-06-22, 07:49 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Common shipping method
Old 03-06-22, 09:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Only a figure eight with two loops? That just shows their inexperience.

Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-06-22, 09:26 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveInConverse
I took it out of the package and popped it into it's full shape and inspected it...it seemed ok. It mounted to the rim fine and seated as it should.
Then why the concern?
Old 03-06-22, 11:18 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
So I ordered a WTB Nano (wire bead) and when it arrived it was twisted into a figure 8, I guess to make the package smaller. I took it out of the package and popped it into it's full shape and inspected it...it seemed ok. It mounted to the rim fine and seated as it should. I about had a heart attack seeing it "folded up" the way it was. Anyone have the same experience with Amazon?
figure-8 folding is fine for a wire-bead tire. As long as there are no actual kinks in the wire, you’re good.
I’ve bought several rounds of tires through Amazon - usually Rubino Pros - no problems. however, it’s worth being as diligent as you can to ensure that you’re getting what you paid for. I’ve seen enough “SPD-SL-compatible” cleats packaged very similar to actual Shimano-made cleats to make me buy cleats only from the LBS, even though they’re a bit more expensive

Last edited by Litespud; 03-06-22 at 11:22 AM.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 03-06-22, 02:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
My personal soap box: don't buy tires or any bike stuff from Amazon. There's a lot of actual bike shop online sellers with free or very reasonable shipping that are competitive with Amazon prices. Plus they know what they're doing and you can get actual advice by chat or over the phone. Yeah, some of them do sell through Amazon, but I'm just so tired of the crappy fulfillment and business practices of Amazon, I'm starting to get kind of preachy about it. I put together two full bikes about a year ago without buying a single item from Amazon, and did some price and availability comparisons and Amazon didn't offer anything over the real bike sellers, or if there was, it was so minor as to be irrelevant.

I've found that sometimes Amazon is the cheapest place to buy a specific tire-- often the Continental GP 5000 I prefer. They're fine, coming in their original packaging.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-06-22, 05:34 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I kind of enjoy the snake in the can of nuts trick with my Terrier.
Cut the tape and the tire explodes and the game is on.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-06-22, 06:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Anyone have the same experience
yes, not w/ Amazon, but yes
Old 03-06-22, 06:19 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Figure 8 is a better way than flattening out the tire to fit OE package.
Flattened tires want to keep popping out of the rim hook during installation.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 03-06-22, 07:26 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've found that sometimes Amazon is the cheapest place to buy a specific tire-- often the Continental GP 5000 I prefer. They're fine, coming in their original packaging.
Oh, I'm not saying that Amazon can't provide cheapest prices and genuine items. In the past I happily bought stuff from Amazon. I just don't like them at all any more, thus my little peeve post and willingness to pay a tiny bit more (rarely more, usually comparable) not to have to support them. It's usually very easy find prices and shipping (cost and time) that are comparable. Amazon's brilliant and hard -won niche is "you don't have to look anywhere else", but it's not that hard, and often pays off.

Last spring when components were really getting scarce, I found many things from online sellers that weren't available at Amazon and/or were more expensive on Amazon. In some cases I thought that Amazon pricing was way out of line, maybe Amazon itself and its sellers were so used to people automatically looking to Amazon that they didn't think they had competition. And that's probably true in a lot of cases. Not to mention talking or chatting with someone who knows something about what you're looking for. And they often or usually have a "waiting list" type of deal where if something isn't in stock, they will either ship it (and charge) when it comes in, or will notify you when it comes in. This was extremely handy during that time of extreme scarcity. I could get on one or more waiting lists, and buy when the first one came through. I made use of that several times, and I've never seen that with Amazon sellers.

That built up knowledge of a bunch of great online bike sellers that I just check now and don't bother with Amazon. EBay is my other go-to over Amazon. Not necessarily for bike parts, but almost anything I can get on Amazon, I can get from much smaller-time EBay sellers, competitive pricing, with reliable fulfillment and shipping. Supporting small business E-commerce with little or no cost penalty vs. paying for a business I don't like.

Anyway, I'm not a crazy person about this (at least I don't think I am!) but am very happy to convey my distaste for that particular business and how easy it's been for me to wean myself from them.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-06-22 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-06-22, 08:01 PM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by Rolla
Then why the concern?
Shipping feedback mostly...if the process was wrong or could damage the product I would have let them know (as if it probably matters lol)
Old 03-06-22, 08:06 PM
SteveInConverse

[QUOTE=Camilo;22430717]

That built up knowledge of a bunch of great online bike sellers that I just check now and don't bother with Amazon. EBay is my other go-to over Amazon.
Where would be some online places you would recommend. I do like Amazon, ain't gonna lie, but I'm always interested in options and I'll pay a little more all other things being pretty equal.
Old 03-06-22, 08:33 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
[QUOTE=SteveInConverse;22430748]

Where would be some online places you would recommend. I do like Amazon, ain't gonna lie, but I'm always interested in options and I'll pay a little more all other things being pretty equal.

Same here. Give us your recommendations.
Old 03-06-22, 09:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
WTB Nano
hope you like them!
Old 03-06-22, 09:17 PM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
hope you like them!
I immediately noticed a softer ride and it feels more confident on loose stuff compared to the stock tires on the FX1. I put a 700x40 up front and have a WTB all terrain in 38c for the back.
Likes For SteveInConverse:
Old 03-06-22, 09:29 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
Wire bead tires often come shipped in a figure 8 from Amazon, bike shops, and even the manufacturer. If it were folded more than that, I would be concerned.
Old 03-06-22, 09:32 PM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Wire bead tires often come shipped in a figure 8 from Amazon, bike shops, and even the manufacturer. If it were folded more than that, I would be concerned.
Yeah it was a single twist. Glad to know it's normal.
Old 03-07-22, 12:29 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
I ordered 2 tires from Amazon and they arrived in a box big enough for a bike frame and what's worse, 2 separate deliveries
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 03-07-22, 01:08 AM
Camilo

[QUOTE=frogman;22430772]

Same here. Give us your recommendations.
Just at the top of my head.... Kind of in the order of what I've purchased most from in the past year and that have been great to me: Western BIke Works, Colorado Cyclist, Performance Bike/Nashbar (can still be good if they have what you need in stock - major ownership change a couple of years ago which had a little bit of a rocky transition); Competitive Cyclist/Backcountry, Trail This (usually through Ebay), Planet Cyclery (Ebay mostly), Ben's Cycle/ Milwaukee Bicycle, Universal, Abaxo (Ebay), Jenson, Cambria Bike, Helen's Cycles, There's a couple more that I've used and a bunch more eBay sellers that I can't put my finger on right now. For Ebay, I'm a long term user so it's second nature to me, easier (to me) than using Amazon and you have the option of new or used. Normal EBay buying applies - find the seller, see what it costs (I do Buy It Now 99.9% of the time), shipping policy (all are very clear and easy to see on the front listing screen), and feedback score.

But the bottom line is just do a search for what you're looking for and check out what pops up - what their price is and shipping (often free >$X). For small items, I almost always look at EBay first.
Old 03-07-22, 02:11 AM
SteveInConverse

[QUOTE=Camilo;22430893]
Originally Posted by frogman

Just at the top of my head.... Kind of in the order of what I've purchased most from in the past year and that have been great to me: Western BIke Works, Colorado Cyclist, Performance Bike/Nashbar (can still be good if they have what you need in stock - major ownership change a couple of years ago which had a little bit of a rocky transition); Competitive Cyclist/Backcountry, Trail This (usually through Ebay), Planet Cyclery (Ebay mostly), Ben's Cycle/ Milwaukee Bicycle, Universal, Abaxo (Ebay), Jenson, Cambria Bike, Helen's Cycles, There's a couple more that I've used and a bunch more eBay sellers that I can't put my finger on right now. For Ebay, I'm a long term user so it's second nature to me, easier (to me) than using Amazon and you have the option of new or used. Normal EBay buying applies - find the seller, see what it costs (I do Buy It Now 99.9% of the time), shipping policy (all are very clear and easy to see on the front listing screen), and feedback score.

But the bottom line is just do a search for what you're looking for and check out what pops up - what their price is and shipping (often free >$X). For small items, I almost always look at EBay first.
This is so awesome... Thank you!
Old 03-07-22, 06:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Oh, I'm not saying that Amazon can't provide cheapest prices and genuine items. In the past I happily bought stuff from Amazon. I just don't like them at all any more, thus my little peeve post and willingness to pay a tiny bit more (rarely more, usually comparable) not to have to support them. It's usually very easy find prices and shipping (cost and time) that are comparable. Amazon's brilliant and hard -won niche is "you don't have to look anywhere else", but it's not that hard, and often pays off.

Last spring when components were really getting scarce, I found many things from online sellers that weren't available at Amazon and/or were more expensive on Amazon. In some cases I thought that Amazon pricing was way out of line, maybe Amazon itself and its sellers were so used to people automatically looking to Amazon that they didn't think they had competition. And that's probably true in a lot of cases. Not to mention talking or chatting with someone who knows something about what you're looking for. And they often or usually have a "waiting list" type of deal where if something isn't in stock, they will either ship it (and charge) when it comes in, or will notify you when it comes in. This was extremely handy during that time of extreme scarcity. I could get on one or more waiting lists, and buy when the first one came through. I made use of that several times, and I've never seen that with Amazon sellers.

That built up knowledge of a bunch of great online bike sellers that I just check now and don't bother with Amazon. EBay is my other go-to over Amazon. Not necessarily for bike parts, but almost anything I can get on Amazon, I can get from much smaller-time EBay sellers, competitive pricing, with reliable fulfillment and shipping. Supporting small business E-commerce with little or no cost penalty vs. paying for a business I don't like.

Anyway, I'm not a crazy person about this (at least I don't think I am!) but am very happy to convey my distaste for that particular business and how easy it's been for me to wean myself from them.

Just to remind you, you started your previous post with getting on a soapbox to tell us not to buy bikes and bike stuff from Amazon. I shop for most items, and often find Amazon's price is cheaper, especially when I don't have to add shipping charges. And they ship better than anyone else.
Old 03-07-22, 07:24 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Many times when searching for an item and I see a good price on Amazon, I look up the seller to see if they have on online store, and then buy it that way.

So many sellers on Amazon know little about the finer details of what they are selling, and this is especially true when looking at tires, where one model may come in multiple casing designs and tread compounds.

I have mostly gotten away from buying bike stuff from Amazon. The one reason I will still use it is if I think there is a chance I may need/want to return something. For example any sort of bike clothing. Or the Fidlock water bottle I just ordered but am not sure if it will actually work with my frame.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-07-22 at 07:30 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.