Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

20 miles in...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-22, 12:40 AM
SteveInConverse

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
20 miles in...

So, I recorded my 20th mile with my '22 Trek FX1 Disc and so far I'm really happy with the performance of the bike. I did swap out the front tire for a 40c Nano and that made a lot of difference in the ride compared to the stock tire. I've got a 38c Nano All Terrain coming for the rear. I've done mostly paved trails with some gravel/packed dirt thrown in and it's done fine. It shifts extremely smoothly and aside from falling over one time when my shorts got hung up on the nose of the saddle, I've managed to stay upright. I would give the whole experience thus far a 10/10.

I've not been on a bike in quite a few years and building confidence for trail riding is a slower process than I'd like. Only way I know of to improve is to keep pushing myself a little further each time and ride as often as possible. Sadly, I'm still a little intimidated by the prospect of a crash or just getting hurt from dumping it over. I'm not a speed demon by any means and I'm being careful...maybe too careful lol

Old 03-10-22, 02:56 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Good luck. Sounds like you're having fun.
Old 03-10-22, 04:04 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Keep pedaling, it's likely to keep getting better. Nothing wrong with being careful, especially if you are not yet totally comfortable. Most people are surprised at how quickly bike handling skills can improve. Sounds like you acquired a nice bike that fits your needs.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 03-10-22, 07:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveInConverse
So, I recorded my 20th mile with my '22 Trek FX1 Disc and so far I'm really happy with the performance of the bike. I did swap out the front tire for a 40c Nano and that made a lot of difference in the ride compared to the stock tire. I've got a 38c Nano All Terrain coming for the rear. I've done mostly paved trails with some gravel/packed dirt thrown in and it's done fine. It shifts extremely smoothly and aside from falling over one time when my shorts got hung up on the nose of the saddle, I've managed to stay upright. I would give the whole experience thus far a 10/10.

I've not been on a bike in quite a few years and building confidence for trail riding is a slower process than I'd like. Only way I know of to improve is to keep pushing myself a little further each time and ride as often as possible. Sadly, I'm still a little intimidated by the prospect of a crash or just getting hurt from dumping it over. I'm not a speed demon by any means and I'm being careful...maybe too careful lol

The big news is you're at least 20 miles into your own legs. The biggest hurdle is getting on it in the first place and then coming back.

Keep going, but get shorts that can't hang up on the saddle! That sounds potentially very painful.

FX bikes are a lot of fun. Congrats and welcome!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-10-22, 01:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
I maintain a fleet of 20-30 FX1 bikes each year for a youth cycling program. They are a workhorse of a bike and perfectly suited for someone wanting to get into cycling and not have to mess with equipment too much.
As for your riding distance, everyone starts at a different point in life with regard to ability and available time. There is no universal right or wrong way to do things.

If 20 miles of riding has been attained by completing 20 rides, perhaps push yourself beyond 1mi rides. Regardless of how far each ride has been so far, push yourself to go a bit more if you have the time. The good thing about riding on trails is that you can always easily pull off to the side and rest.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-10-22, 05:12 PM
SteveInConverse

Bikes: Trek

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If 20 miles of riding has been attained by completing 20 rides, perhaps push yourself beyond 1mi rides. Regardless of how far each ride has been so far, push yourself to go a bit more if you have the time. The good thing about riding on trails is that you can always easily pull off to the side and rest.
I work a lot and so free time is a premium. I try to hit a trail that's here in town that I like. It's right at 6 miles, but some of the other trails on my to do list are 10-15 miles at the same location. I also try to get out in the neighborhood every day regardless if I can go to the trail or not. I'm 55 and feel like I'm having to relearn the basics!
Old 03-10-22, 06:50 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I have to admit that I've gotten my shorts caught up on the nose of my Sella Anatomica which has a bolt there. I put a saddle cover on to keep from catching on it.

Enjoy
Likes For kahn:
Old 03-10-22, 08:05 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm still a little intimidated by the prospect of a crash or just getting hurt from dumping it over. I'm not a speed demon by any means and I'm being careful...maybe too careful lol​
Ironically, a lot of crashes are caused by being too careful. Like the old mountain biking adage says, "He who hesitates goes over the bars."

The good news is that most crashes result in little more than road rash and some next-day stiffness. Band-aids, ointment, and Ibuprofen will take care of most of it.

And just remember that a year from now you'll be an old pro at this, and you'll scoff at what once challenged you.

Last edited by Rolla; 03-10-22 at 08:09 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-11-22, 04:04 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Ibuprofen is my friend as well. Sometimes when heading out , my late sixties bod is just a bit sore. A piece of toast and lots of water ….and two of those little helpers and I’m good for a nice long ride!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-11-22, 05:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I work a lot and so free time is a premium. I try to hit a trail that's here in town that I like. It's right at 6 miles, but some of the other trails on my to do list are 10-15 miles at the same location. I also try to get out in the neighborhood every day regardless if I can go to the trail or not. I'm 55 and feel like I'm having to relearn the basics!

The basics will come back to you, it's like riding a bicycle. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Two pieces of advice, increase distance at your own comfortable pace, and ignore anyone who says "no pain, no gain."

My trick to get myself to increase when I restarted at about 55 was to pick a place to have coffee as a goal for a ride, and then gradually pick places further and further away. The goal could have been anything, but for me the psychological effect of having a destination really helped. Also, I really like coffee.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-16-22, 01:14 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Congratulations. The FX 1 looks like a nice bike, in fact it made me look at the FX2 Stagger model, which is 13 lbs lighter than my Jamis Citizen 1. Hmm.

I started riding consistently when I started keeping a training log. Mine is just a spreadsheet, but it motivated me to get more serious. But not TOO serious!

Have fun!