Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My review of the PedalCell, an impressive rim dynamo

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-21, 09:01 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts

I just finished testing of the PedalCell, a new rim dynamo that is designed to charge USB devices while you ride. I was impressed by how much charge it delivered. If you tour with USB-chargeable devices, this dynamo will keep them in electricity without requiring you to plug them into wall outlets.

I written up my findings in a detailed review of the device for those who want more information, including photos and numbers.

Here is a quick summary: Every time I rode with the PedalCell, my iPhone ended up with more power at the end of the ride than when I started, no matter what apps I ran on it or how long I rode.
Likes For raybo:
Old 08-16-21, 01:04 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I’ve read quite a bit about this in the last year or so but even my modern rim/tire dynamo is loud.
Old 08-16-21, 06:25 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I’ve read quite a bit about this in the last year or so but even my modern rim/tire dynamo is loud.
I would have to concentrate on hearing the PedalCell when I am riding to actually hear it.

In this video, the reviewer has a brief comment on the sound produced when the PedalCell is engaged:

to give you some idea.
Old 08-17-21, 06:32 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Funny as I've seen the first 5 seconds of the Scandinavian guys video review so many times, but had no idea what he was reviewing.

I don't have a need for this, but it will be interesting to see how actual longer term users find how it keeps working over time, and if it is indeed reliable, keeps out of spokes, and how long the o ring lasts in real life with real life people not really keeping it and rims clean.

The going into the spokes thing is a concern, as is slightly wondering how it handles going past 60k (which I see as a somewhat common thing that could happen, albeit for short periods)

from the numerous other reviews out there, it certainly seems that both the overall output advantages and consistent slower speed outputs would be a real advantage for lots of riders.
A pretty interesting alternative, and if it is robust, safe and trouble free, one could see it having a successful future given the ever increasing use / need of more devices.

The owners have taken the right route getting this out there to lots of internety reviewers for exposure.

PS, I'll be honest, before seeing numerous reviews, I had the assumption that it was a clunky, cheap looking, probably not effective gimmicky device that mom and pop old and occasional riders would buy and use.

Last edited by djb; 08-17-21 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-18-21, 03:15 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Originally Posted by djb
The going into the spokes thing is a concern, as is slightly wondering how it handles going past 60k (which I see as a somewhat common thing that could happen, albeit for short periods)
On one of my routes, I go down a short steep hill and hit close to 40 MPH for the briefest of times. When riding with the PedalCell, I didn't do anything besides slow down a little to keep it below 40. So, I have ridden with the dynamo in the upper 30s MPH without problem, noise, or concern.

As for the "going into the spokes thing," I see this as a real issue. However, it is possible to tighten the PedalCell's clamp enough so that it doesn't move at all when shaken. As I said in my review, it is something I check when I prepare to ride my bike, like I check my tires to see if they need pumping up.
Old 08-18-21, 08:02 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Well, it waa a good opportunity for us to read your review, and then in my case, see some other reviews too.
an interesting device that clearly answers needs for lots of bike travelers, especially those who travel slower.
Old 01-15-22, 09:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
@raybo, thanks for this. I can't justify the purchase cost, but it's good to know it's this good. Maybe one day I can justify it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-16-22, 06:09 AM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Great review. Thanks.
Old 01-16-22, 05:12 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to test the Pedalcell and writing up a quality review providing the findings of your testing methods. As I have been looking at the Pedalcell as an alternative to a hub generator your review is perfectly timed. Just in the past few weeks I have decided to use GPS during a ride instead of paper maps only and the rim generator looks like a better option for my needs than a hub generator.