Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Busch + Muller heatsink modification (strip and polish)

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-20, 07:53 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts

I was inspired after seeing this B+M Eyc modificiation by loursblanc last year to do something similar with my B+M Cyo T Premium.

I have taken one apart a few years ago so I knew it was doable but this time all I needed was the metal heatsink on top.

This is the light and everything that comes with it:

There is a bolt underneath that , surprise, surprise!, fits with the hex allen key that comes with the light.
Remove it and both the heatsink on top and the extra 'Taglicht' Daylight Riding Light come loose.
There is a bit of thermal paste where the heatsink interfaces with the LED but that's easy enough to replace by using thermal past from a computer store. I already had some since I like building my own PCs.

Old 03-20-20, 07:54 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

The actual stripping of the paint and polishing it is a bit trickier than on most lights since the heatsink has air intakes and all kinds of nooks and crannies that are hard to reach.
If I were to do this again I would probably use a paint stripper but this time it was mostly manual labour.

I used:
  • metal file
  • 260 grit sandpaper
  • 600 grit sandpaper
  • automotive paint polish

I used 260 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a small metal file to get most of the paint off.
The heatsink somes with a fairly shallow BM logo but that disappears soon enough using the sandpaper.
You can tell the paint in between is going to be annoying to remove.

After lots of folded over sandpaper and cursing I got most of the paint off and moved on to the 600 grit sandpaper and then to the polishing compound.
I might be able to get this to a mirror finish with more work but for now I'm perfectly fine with this result.
I left the inside black as it wasn't visible anyway and put everything back together.

The end result, IMHO, is pretty nice.

I plan on wiring everything up this weekend and I'll shoot some better overview shots.
Old 03-20-20, 11:55 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
From your last photo it is hard to see if the light might be in a spot to collect tire spray when wet or not. But some B&M lights have been known to become dysfunctional after too much exposure to water. You might want to consider that when making your final mounting.

Looks nice.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-20-20, 01:03 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
From your last photo it is hard to see if the light might be in a spot to collect tire spray when wet or not. But some B&M lights have been known to become dysfunctional after too much exposure to water. You might want to consider that when making your final mounting.

Looks nice.
Yes it's a concern. I have an IQ-X in a similar position on another bike that does get sprayed. So far it is still working but I don't believe the Cyo has a similar waterproofness.

I will probably flip the mount so it sits further to the side tomorrow or bend it a bit.
Old 03-20-20, 01:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Beautiful.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-21-20, 11:49 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Swapped the bracket so the light is mounted on the other side. Probably better for spray but it is more exposed for when I park it in a rack at the train station.
I'll have to mull it over a bit more but I have time. The dynamo wheel won't be built until next month so no need to finalize the cables just yet.

Old 03-22-20, 10:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
That bike is so special, and it's been fun to watch it take form.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-22-20, 01:45 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by noglider
That bike is so special, and it's been fun to watch it take form.
Thanks Tom, and as always I really enjoy documenting it all for others to see. And who knows, maybe someone will one day come across my thread and fine something useful or enjoyable in there.
And you do know how to start a fun thread.

For those interested, this is part of my 1996 Koga-Miyata SilverAce project that I've been overhauling since last year and is slowly turning into my new commuter for around town with all the fun little details that I like to put into a bike.
Old 05-07-20, 05:45 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

And just some further polishing lead to this:

Old 05-07-20, 06:05 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I'm a bit late to this discussion so bear with me!
Is this just to have a "shiney" piece? I have a B&M light and might consider this appro.
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 05-07-20, 06:26 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
I'm a bit late to this discussion so bear with me!
Is this just to have a "shiney" piece? I have a B&M light and might consider this appro.
Yes, it's just for the aesthetics.
I thought it would fit the overall shinyness of the bike.

If you go this way I would recommend a chemical strip first and a polishing wheel after. The one thing I probably should do is clearcoat it but for now a simple wax job does the trick.