Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Free hub compatibility with SRAM 2x12

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-20, 11:10 AM
cpunerd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TLDR: Can you fit a SRAM 12-speed cassette on a Shimano FH-M6000?

Hi all, in another thread I've started a conversation about upgrading our tandem to electronic shifting. We're *probably* going to go with eTap due to lack of internal routing on our bike. We have a Shimano FH-M6000 free hub in the back with a 10-speed cassette. Shimano says it's compatible with 8, 9, and 10 speed cassettes, as well as MTB 11-speed cassettes. What I know about SRAM 12-speed cassettes is that they fit on 11-speed road hubs. But I can't find any compatibility information in this regard, as to whether or not we can fit an 11-speed road cassette on our current free hub. Does anyone know if you can fit a SRAM 12-speed cassette on a Shimano FH-M6000?

Thanks

PS: Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but given that our bike is a tandem, I figured others might have similar components.
Old 06-04-20, 12:12 PM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cpunerd
TLDR: Can you fit a SRAM 12-speed cassette on a Shimano FH-M6000?

...What I know about SRAM 12-speed cassettes is that they fit on 11-speed road hubs....
How do you know this? Everything I've seen has said that the SRAM 12 speed is not compatible to the previous Shimano/SRAM road freehub bodies. The SRAM 12 speed cassettes all have 10 tooth cogs that are too small to fit on the older freehub bodies. The only 12 speed cassette that I've seen that will fit the shimano freehub is made by Rotor, and isn't cheap :-(
Old 06-12-20, 04:06 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
You need the SRAM XD-driver freehub. Some hub manufacturers offer both freehub types, but you will need to find a match to your specific model.
Old 06-12-20, 10:32 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
You have a Shimano 8/9/10-speed driver. There are only a few 12-speed cassettes compatible with it:
Garabaruk 11-52
Sram NX 11-50
Sunrace 11-50 and 11-51
Those cassettes will only work well in a 1x12 drivetrain due to the rear derailleur limits.

For a 2x12 drivetrain, you'd need a narrower cassette with an XDR driver or Shimano Microspline driver.
Old 06-18-20, 08:45 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
You have a Shimano 8/9/10-speed driver. There are only a few 12-speed cassettes compatible with it:
Garabaruk 11-52
Sram NX 11-50
Sunrace 11-50 and 11-51
Those cassettes will only work well in a 1x12 drivetrain due to the rear derailleur limits.

For a 2x12 drivetrain, you'd need a narrower cassette with an XDR driver or Shimano Microspline driver.
Plus the only shifter and RD that will work with these is SRAM. ie: you cannot use a Shimano shifter/RD with the above cassettes and cannot mix-and-match shifters/RD between mfr.

Point to note about the above cassettes is that they are Shimano (old driver) compatible and the smallest cog only goes down to an 11 tooth.

With the full-on SRAM 10-50 or 10-52 cassette the XD driver is needed. For the Shimano 10-51 or 12 speed road a micro-drive driver is needed. You can use shifter/RD from either mfr but again cannot mix mfr.
Old 06-19-20, 08:30 AM
bwebel

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I wonder, could you change the Shimano FH-M6000 to an 11 speed Shimano freehub? This would let you use the Rotor 12 speed cassettes, which have ranges, like 11x36, that would work better with a double setup.