Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Flashing lights

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Flashing lights

Old 05-16-22, 09:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Looks like they tried to clear it up in 2018, but it apparently didn't pass.

https://legiscan.com/MS/text/SB2509/2018
I just looked at the revisions, might be just as well it didn't pass. It kept in the word "lighted" in the problematic context that makes it look like a DRL requirement in addition to the after sundown requirements..
Old 05-16-22, 10:50 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
What's the matter with you kid, that's not a lighted white lamp on the front thereof visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of at least five hundred feet in front.

Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-16-22, 01:36 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Hope Paul doesn't ride in NOLA.

See this (typoed) requirement for DRL:

Originally Posted by "New Orleans Code of Ordinances
Sec. 154-1422. - Necessary bicycle equipment.(a)

Every bicycle when in use between sunrise and sunset [emphasis mine] or when persons and vehicles on the street are not clearly discernable [sic] at a distance of 500 feet ahead shall be equipped with the following:

(1)

A lamp mounted on the front that shall emit a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front. A generator-powered lamp that emits light only when the bicycle is moving may be used to meet this requirement.

(2)

A lamp mounted on the rear that shall emit either a flashing or steady red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.

(3)

A red reflector mounted on the rear and a reflector on each side facing outward at a right angle to the bicycle frame that shall be visible from all distances from 100 feet to 600 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of head lamps on a motor vehicle.

(b)

A bicycle or its operator may be equipped with lights or reflectors in addition to those required by subsection (a) of this section, except that red lamps and red reflectors shall not be used on the front of the bicycle and white lamps and white reflectors shall not be used on the rear of the bicycle.

(c)

A lamp or lamps worn by the operator of a bicycle shall comply with the requirements of subsection (a) of this section, if the lamp or lamps can be seen at the distances specified.

(d)

No person shall operate a bicycle unless it is equipped with a bell or other device capable of giving a signal audible for a distance of at least 100 feet, except that a bicycle shall not be equipped with nor shall any person use upon a bicycle any siren or whistle.

(e)

Every bicycle shall be equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
Note.

"In use." We don't have to argue about where, because it's wherever in NOLA YAT.

At least discernable is the least horrable of this ordnance.

As far as DRL. Oopsies.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-16-22 at 01:42 PM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-16-22, 01:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Hope Paul doesn't ride in NOLA.

See this (typoed) requirement for DRL:

Note.

"In use." We don't have to argue about where, because it's wherever in NOLA YAT.

At least discernable is the least horrable of this ordnance.

As far as DRL. Oopsies.

-mr. bill

To be fair, there's a lot of the time when people are more likely to be riding bikes at night than during the day. Riding a bike in July daylight is a special circle of hell in New Orleans. 100 degrees and the air is too damp for your sweat to evaporate. You should probably be riding with your "he ain't right" light if you're out with the mad dogs and English men..

I lived in a part of New Orleans where the fog got thick enough that you ain't discerning whether it's an a or an i. I'll let you fight it out with Merriam Webster whether the a form is an acceptable alternate.
Old 05-16-22, 01:56 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by “The Fiddler on the Rood”
Is this the little girl I carried
Is this the little boy at play?

I don't remember growing older
When did they?

When did she get to be a beauty
When did he grow to be so tall?
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset….

-mr. bill
Old 05-16-22, 01:58 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
…. He was literally interfering with my ability to determine the position of the person he was riding alongside.
That’s been rather well determined, that flashing helps with detection, but interferes with accurate positioning.
One of my pet peeves is when autumn comes along. A light mist, maybe little drizzle, and a flasher creates a halo the full width of the MUP. And somewhere in what looks like the scene from ”close encounter of the 3rd kind” is a rider. Or two. Maybe in the middle, maybe off towards either side.
Likes For dabac:
Old 05-16-22, 02:05 PM
mr_bill

To be fair, there's a lot of the time when people are more likely to be riding bikes at night than during the day. Riding a bike in July daylight is a special circle of hell in New Orleans. 100 degrees and the air is too damp for your sweat to evaporate. You should probably be riding with your "he ain't right" light if you're out with the mad dogs and English men..

I lived in a part of New Orleans where the fog got thick enough that you ain't discerning whether it's an a or an i. I'll let you fight it out with Merriam Webster whether the a form is an acceptable alternate.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-16-22, 04:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Old 05-16-22, 04:54 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by dabac
That’s been rather well determined, that flashing helps with detection, but interferes with accurate positioning.
ABSOLUTELY!

That’s why they banned blinking lights on airplanes, motor vehicle turn signals and hazard signals, police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, plow trucks, construction vehicles…

…oh wait.

-mr. bill
Old 05-16-22, 08:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

ABSOLUTELY!

That’s why they banned blinking lights on airplanes, motor vehicle turn signals and hazard signals, police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, plow trucks, construction vehicles…

…oh wait.

-mr. bill

Not the same things as strobing headlights at all, but go ahead and pretend you don't know that.
Old 05-17-22, 06:52 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Riding a bike in July daylight is a special circle of hell in New Orleans.
Ya think?
Old 05-17-22, 07:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Ya think?

Been there and done it. I bike commuted in NO for about a year on a rotating shift work schedule. I actually acclimated to the heat pretty well, but had to move away because my allergies made life generally unbearable during certain months.
Old 05-17-22, 07:16 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Been there and done it. I bike commuted in NO for about a year on a rotating shift work schedule. I actually acclimated to the heat pretty well, but had to move away because my allergies made life generally unbearable during certain months.
I do pretty well with it. My mid summer rides start in the morning when it's upper 80's and end in lower 90's with high humidity. I can dump 5-6 pounds on a long ride. I can't fully retire for another 2 years. I recently bought 3 acres on a lake in TN that will serve as my retirement home. 4 seasons will be a welcome change as will getting out of the hurricane zone.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-17-22, 07:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

My mid summer rides start in the morning when it's upper 80's and end in lower 90's with high humidity.
That describes my century last Saturday pretty well. We usually don't get levels of humidity that high, but it sure was this weekend. I didn't mind too much except on hills.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-15-22, 08:48 AM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Bikes: Specialized Roll 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by soloman
Point the damned things down.
Even as a noob to cycling that is the first thing I did when I put the light on my bike. Point it down so it wouldn't be annoying.
Old 07-21-22, 01:22 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Euopean Standard lights control the beam.
Americans are just stupid about this. Europeans know a lot more about working together
Cars with poorly aimed and undimmed lights, same issue
DRL improve safety in general. Flashing improves visibility.
Problem is in poor design and lack of standards, not the basics
Even the Garmin Varia implements it poorly, and they are the only one even trying