Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seat Clamp Recommendations

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-22, 10:42 AM
OldBike876

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

The bike: 5 year old Norco commuter, aluminum frame. I ride everyday and have taken it on trips.

The problem: I have to REALLY tighten the clamp to keep the seat from dropping and twisting. By this I mean that the lever is a two-handed struggle to open and close. The bike shop I asked turned the clamp 180°, which worked but then it digs in my leg.

No amount of grease on the post helps, and I tried a different post. I am probably the heaviest person you've seen on a bicycle, that's the problem. Oh, and the fancy clamps from Surly do not fit.

So, any ideas? Would a bolt style be a better bet? Two clamps? Shim?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-22, 11:05 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
A bolt-type seatpost clamp should give a better hold and a stainless steel radiator clamp tightened securely around the seatpost as a depth stop above the clamp will add more retention.
Old 08-15-22, 11:14 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
What size clamp do you need? That would help quite a bit. I would recommend a non-quick release collar and proper torque to start with assuming of course the seatpost is of the right size and the clamp is also of the right size.

Also how heavy are you? It could be that the bike is just not designed to handle your weight. Unfortunately most stock bikes cannot handle heavy heavy weight and you claim to be "the heaviest person you've seen on a bicycle" which is quite heavy (600+ lbs is the biggest I have seen) so you might need a custom bike. Find a builder who understands heavier riders and their needs like say Lennard Zinn and see what he recommends based on your size.
Old 08-15-22, 11:49 AM
OldBike876

Using the radiator clamp as a depth stop is a good idea.

This clamp did work for about 6 months. Now, it requires so much force to clamp securely, it makes a person wary.

Last edited by OldBike876; 08-15-22 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-15-22, 11:53 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
If you can find a double clamp such as this, it may work very well for you. Bicycle Seatpost Clamp Aluminum Alloy Double Bolt Heavy Duty 31.6mm/ 34.9mm | eBay This has one part that clamps to the post and the bottom clamps around the seat tube. This is just one example, can't vouch for quality and may not fit your bike but shop around for other options.
Old 08-15-22, 02:50 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts

Grease was mentioned, but not what type.

This may sound wrong, but some fine mineral clay or sand on a greased seatpost will help. I have no idea if it can overcome the load though. It has worked for me.
Old 08-15-22, 05:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Are you sure that the seatpost is the correct diameter? You really shouldn’t have to over tighten the clamp to keep the post from sliding.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-15-22, 05:34 PM
OldBike876

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Are you sure that the seatpost is the correct diameter? You really shouldn’t have to over tighten the clamp to keep the post from sliding.
Hmmm. You know, I just assumed it was the right size. When someone stole my seat/post last year, I took it to the shop and they sold me a new post without measuring (but they certainly seem to fit the same).
Old 08-15-22, 05:36 PM
OldBike876

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
If you can find a double clamp such as this, it may work very well for you. Bicycle Seatpost Clamp Aluminum Alloy Double Bolt Heavy Duty 31.6mm/ 34.9mm | eBay This has one part that clamps to the post and the bottom clamps around the seat tube. This is just one example, can't vouch for quality and may not fit your bike but shop around for other options.
That's a revelation. I have spent a lot of time searching for seatpost clamps, I can't believe I have not come across this.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-22, 06:03 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
A better alternative to the hose clamp is a seatpost rack mount:
Old 08-24-22, 11:06 AM
OldBike876

Well, I tried a regular bolt style. I installed it yesterday and noticed an immediate improvement. Even though I had greased the old one a few times, I also noticed that the bike is much quieter now, so I assume that old clamp was at least part of a noise I have been trying to eliminate.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.
Old 08-24-22, 11:36 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Unless you have a need to frequently adjust the saddle height, replace the lever-type clamp with a bolt type clamp. That will allow higher clamping force on the post. If you do have a need to frequently change the saddle height, use a lever-type clamp with an enclosed cam, as those have greater mechanical advantage than the open-cam style.

N.B. and as others noted above, make sure you're using the right diameter post. The sides of the slot in the seat tube where the clamp tightens should be parallel. If they're pulled out of parallel by the clamp, your post is too small diameter.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-24-22, 12:08 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 435 Posts
Don't use quick release seat post clamps. Get a bolted one. A bit harder for someone to casually steal your saddle too.
Likes For Yan:
Old 08-25-22, 12:35 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
A better alternative to the hose clamp is a seatpost rack mount:
It is better in appearance and maybe you can use its dual function if you fit a rack but it's both heavier and more expensive that a plain radiator clamp.