Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New to Me SOMEC, need help to ID it

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-17-22, 12:52 PM
MichaelVa 

Bikes: 1968 Chrome Paramount, 1968 Chrome Paramount, 1972 Chrome Paramount, 1980 Eddy Merckx Professional, 1989 Paramount, 1976 Raleigh International, 2005 Cervelo P2, 2005 Bianchi Veloce, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour. 1952 Schwinn Cycle Truck, 1970 Schwinn Cotton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 3 Posts

Just purchased this today, trying to identify exactly what I have. Thanks for your help.

Likes For MichaelVa:
Old 08-17-22, 01:35 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
Mark Bulgier has provided these catalog scans (1983 to 1999), but would be a help to see the tubing decal close-up. Since there appears to be a light blue background it may be one of the later scans or even "off the chart">
https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/somec/
But huge kudos to Mark for hosting these!
Old 08-17-22, 03:01 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Those brake levers? They appear to be the exact same pair I highlighted with blue enamel and used on my Somec up until a couple/three years ago:

DD
Old 08-17-22, 05:43 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
First of all, congratulations on your buy. It seems to be a repainted/refurbished SOMEC Special. Based on the fork crown, probably from between 79 and 82, if you could post a photo of the crown it would help. Depending on what would you like to know, its Columbus SL tubing, the seatpost panto looks aftermarket (even if done by SOMEC), it has Camagnolo, which is nice, and from this far seems period correct AND has the machined brake levers (big plus!) as Drillium Dude pointed out. Some might say "ask SOMEC, they still exist" - while you can drop them a line, as they are always happy to see the old ones still running and the hype around them, while they are really nice they will not be able to tell you more than what the people here as they don't have old records.
As I'm just heading to the cellar for something else, I'll check my frame number, I'm sure I photos somewhere, maybe several times here on the forum and/or the PC, but its easier to check downstairs,
Old 08-17-22, 05:44 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 924 Posts
There are some similarities with the Art. 1029 model in the 1983 catalog:

There are also some differences, but there were often variations between the catalog shots and production.

Send Lara at Somec an e-mail with some pictures, although they don't have build records, she's usually helpful with estimates of year and model. https://somec.com/en/contacts/
Likes For P!N20:
Old 08-17-22, 07:34 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

The catalog shows the "budget" model with Falck tubes and Gipiemme dropouts. Unfortunately decals don't matter if the bike is resprayed. These usually came without any decorations, but I have seen versions in various mixes (1 head lug ha tulip, but not the fork or vice versa), but never a seat stay cap panto. Also MichaelVa 's one has the horizontal cuts in the head lugs, with straigtht ends, unlike DD's Air, where these end in a dot. I still say, Special or early Super Corsa (which were the same frame but latter with nicer paintjob showing more chrome), and for age the fork crown panto is the best hint. There were 3-4 types of logos. But as P!N20 suggested asking Lara doesn't hurt.
Old 09-01-22, 02:21 PM
Lattz

Not sure if it means anything, but my frame is C724, and along the way I found out that it might be an early Supercorsa. It had different decals than yours or the one in the catalog, just plain yellow tulips (with SOMEC written in them, unlike the only decal set on the web showing only S) and with SOMEC in yellow square bloc letters.
Old 09-01-22, 02:52 PM
MichaelVa 

Bikes: 1968 Chrome Paramount, 1968 Chrome Paramount, 1972 Chrome Paramount, 1980 Eddy Merckx Professional, 1989 Paramount, 1976 Raleigh International, 2005 Cervelo P2, 2005 Bianchi Veloce, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour. 1952 Schwinn Cycle Truck, 1970 Schwinn Cotton

Old 09-01-22, 02:54 PM
MichaelVa 

Original paint, everything on this bike is exactly the way it was delivered, I bought it from the original owner's son, he took delivery in the Chicago area.
He has no records and is now suffering from dementia,. so not much help in recalling details.
Old 09-01-22, 03:40 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by MichaelVa
Original paint, everything on this bike is exactly the way it was delivered, I bought it from the original owner's son, he took delivery in the Chicago area.
He has no records and is now suffering from dementia,. so not much help in recalling details.
Interesting, given the quality of the paint, the paint filled lug cutouts, and the shape of the chainstay mask. Maybe the US bikes were not painted by the Martini brothers, every day I learn something about these.. it seems I won't be much of a help either then. You could ask Martini if he thinks they painted it, or as suggested, Lara at SOMEC.

Lattz