Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Asian Serial Number Guide

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Asian Serial Number Guide

Old 06-03-22, 06:51 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguy biker
Thank you T-Mar! I just bought this today & know next to nothing about the Shogun brand or line up. I posted a pic to my gallery of the bike. I need a drive side pic ... so I'll add that in a few days. Sadly - there seems to be very little info on these bike (catalogs & specs) that I found on the web.
Shogun was a full range marketing brand owned by Marui, a Japanese trading company. The Shogun brand was introduced in the USA for the 1977 model year but disappeared in the mid-1990s, only to resurrected early this century by Kent International. Marui sourced Shogun from a number of different manufacturers, including but not limited to, Mikki, Nomura and Yamaguchi. Shogun tended to exemplify the Japanese bicycles of the era, typically being well built and offering good value, particularly at the entry and mid-range levels.

Circa 1989-1990, Shogun was being distributed in the USA by Seatlle Bicycle Supply. The 1989 version of the Alpine GT was spec'd with a mix of Shimano Mountain LX brakes, Exage Trail derailleurs and Suzue hubs laced to Araya 16A rims, with the rear having 40 spokes. The 1990 price list is more vague, only stating Shimano Exage components. It could still go either way. FYI, MSRP pricing was $475-$500 US, depending on the model year.
Old 06-03-22, 08:45 AM
Oldguy biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fantastic - great to know. My Alpine GT has 36 spokes front & back. Hopefully this weekend I can get to changing the rear tube & tire so I can take it out for a "shake out ride".

Any idea where this would probably fall compared to the other touring bikes of the era?

Considering I paid $25 for it, I think I'll be happy regardless of how it measures up to other touring bikes of it's era.

Thank you T-Mar for all the info. I really appreciate your time to research & track all the data that you do ... and your willingness to share/educate those of us who need it.
Old 06-04-22, 08:31 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 86 Posts
Sanwa 6000 Tri Sport.
serial number FS50100 (located on seat tube near the top)
left crank (cracked) has a JL 1985 December date code.
Shimano 600 parts.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 06-04-22 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-04-22, 08:48 PM
rickpaulos

Sekai 500 Standard.
serial is Y1D1740
Dia Compe suicide lever has a 03 81 date stamped on it.
Sugino cranks with a '1'.
top tube brake cable clamps, no braze on guides/stops.
ALPS bar and stem.
Tange Hi-ten butted tubes 1.2mm x .9mm. Unusal to see carbon steel in a butted version.
and a Yamaguchi Sports Frame Sakai Japan. decal.
Bike striped of parts, ready for repaint or rebuild as a single speed. 25" or 63x59cm. The paint is poor but the frame looks solid.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 06-06-22 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-04-22, 08:55 PM
rickpaulos

Miyata 310
serial I955457 (starts with eye). 1980?
Miyata branded padded ergo saddle.
finger knob adjustment to center sidepull brake calipers.
Suntour downtube ratchet levers with Suntour derailleur.

Old 06-04-22, 09:27 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Trek 830:

I’m guessing Jan 1988, Taiwanese manufacture. SN: T8A 27814 stamped on the underside of the BB shell, non drive side:

T=Taiwanese
8=1988
A=January

27814= frame number

Confirm?

Last edited by Smokinapankake; 06-05-22 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-05-22, 02:14 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Trek 830:
I’m guessing Jan 1988, Taiwanese manufacture. SN: T8A 27814 stamped on the underside of the BB shell, non drive side:

T=Taiwanese
8=1988
A=January

27814= frame number

Confirm?
Correct.
Old 07-07-22, 08:42 PM
HugoHermans

Bikes: 1977 Team Raleigh Record 1984 Bianchi - Professional Ishiwata 020 1979 Bianchi Sprint

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appreciation

You have done an unbelievable job with this reseach, it makes for very interesting reading and a great guide when looking at all the different bikes that come up on the internet bicycle groups. Thank you.
Old 07-18-22, 04:01 PM
TXtea

Bikes: '84 Avanti Apex, '84 Fisher Montare MountainBike, '85 Cannondale SM600, '85 GT Timberline, '85 Maruishi Mount Ace 18, '87 Scott Boulder, '90 Trek 970, '93 Litespeed Ocoee, '96 Bontrager Privateer, '96 ProFlex 856, '98 Kona Kula, 2012 Jamis Dakar AMT

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Avanti Apex

Hello T-Mar, great job on this list! It is very helpful. However, I’ve got a riddle/puzzle for you. I’m unable to post pictures as I’m too new, but I’ll do my best to describe it. It is an ATB labeled as an Avanti Apex with SN: T4C96126 on the bottom of the BB shell. The frame looks similar to a Raleigh MountainTour from the Mid-80s with bullmoose bars and a Mountech front derailleur (the rear derailleur was a cheap more modern Shimano, that has since been replaced with a Mountech). It has Avanti stamped in the top of the fork crown on both sides similar to the Raleigh badge on the MountainTour. It has one decal that states Made in Japan and another decal that states Champion Mountain Bike Cro-Mo Butted Tubes from Tange Industries, so safe to assume it is a Japanese built frame.

The real head scratcher is the brand. Avanti is a New Zealand brand that is still selling bikes in the NZ/Aus market, but I cannot find any info on this bike. I reached out to them to see if they knew anything or had any records, but what they told me was easily confirmed as erroneous (wrong model from the early 90s). I even reached out to the founder’s son who ran the company for a bit to see if he knew anything, he didn’t. I contacted a guy on Instagram that plays around with older bikes there in NZ and he thinks he’s seen a road bike with a similar style Avanti decal, but haven’t confirmed that yet.

So all that to say, any info you might have on how to decipher what this might be is greatly appreciated, otherwise I’m going with my made-up story that it’s a long-lost prototype. Haha! Thanks for the help and have a great day.
Old 07-18-22, 06:13 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by TXtea
Hello T-Mar, great job on this list! It is very helpful. However, I’ve got a riddle/puzzle for you. I’m unable to post pictures as I’m too new, but I’ll do my best to describe it. It is an ATB labeled as an Avanti Apex with SN: T4C96126 on the bottom of the BB shell. The frame looks similar to a Raleigh MountainTour from the Mid-80s with bullmoose bars and a Mountech front derailleur (the rear derailleur was a cheap more modern Shimano, that has since been replaced with a Mountech). It has Avanti stamped in the top of the fork crown on both sides similar to the Raleigh badge on the MountainTour. It has one decal that states Made in Japan and another decal that states Champion Mountain Bike Cro-Mo Butted Tubes from Tange Industries, so safe to assume it is a Japanese built frame.

The real head scratcher is the brand. Avanti is a New Zealand brand that is still selling bikes in the NZ/Aus market, but I cannot find any info on this bike. I reached out to them to see if they knew anything or had any records, but what they told me was easily confirmed as erroneous (wrong model from the early 90s). I even reached out to the founder’s son who ran the company for a bit to see if he knew anything, he didn’t. I contacted a guy on Instagram that plays around with older bikes there in NZ and he thinks he’s seen a road bike with a similar style Avanti decal, but haven’t confirmed that yet.

So all that to say, any info you might have on how to decipher what this might be is greatly appreciated, otherwise I’m going with my made-up story that it’s a long-lost prototype. Haha! Thanks for the help and have a great day.
There was also a USA based Avanti brand. I don't think that they had any ties to the New Zealand company, because their inital foray into the bicycle industry was clothing and bags, during the early1970s bicycle boom. In the mid-1980s, they started marketing bicycles. Based on the serial number, in conjunction with the description, my leading candidate would be a 1984 model. If you ignore the forum warning you can upload photos. They will be deposited a a gallery album under your user name, where I'll be able to view them.
Old 07-19-22, 07:57 PM
TXtea

Bikes: '84 Avanti Apex, '84 Fisher Montare MountainBike, '85 Cannondale SM600, '85 GT Timberline, '85 Maruishi Mount Ace 18, '87 Scott Boulder, '90 Trek 970, '93 Litespeed Ocoee, '96 Bontrager Privateer, '96 ProFlex 856, '98 Kona Kula, 2012 Jamis Dakar AMT

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
There was also a USA based Avanti brand. I don't think that they had any ties to the New Zealand company, because their inital foray into the bicycle industry was clothing and bags, during the early1970s bicycle boom. In the mid-1980s, they started marketing bicycles. Based on the serial number, in conjunction with the description, my leading candidate would be a 1984 model. If you ignore the forum warning you can upload photos. They will be deposited a a gallery album under your user name, where I'll be able to view them.
ok, very interesting. I think I’ve got them in an album. Let me know if they aren’t there and we’ll see what we can do.
Old 07-19-22, 09:52 PM
jaybike

Bikes: A Bianchi, Fuji Royale, Trek 715, and Benotto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys!
I recently purchased what was advertised as a 1981 Fuji Royale, with the serial KK001034. I don't think I can post pictures yet due to being a new member to the forums
Old 07-20-22, 06:22 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by TXtea
ok, very interesting. I think I’ve got them in an album. Let me know if they aren’t there and we’ll see what we can do.
I've seen one of these before. It was almost, if not exactly the same. Everything is checking the boxes for circa 1984, It's very old school ATB, with slack angles and a very long wheelbase. The tubing decal is the original Tange MTB version, before they redesigned it in the late 1980s. This is one case where the nutted hubs aren't an inidcator of a lower level bicycle. Originally, a more positive wheel retention was considered desirable. Those extreme seat back SR MTE-101 seat posts were released for the 1984 model year and are becoming collectible. From what I can see, everything appears to be OEM. Selective photo assist...
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-20-22, 06:31 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by jaybike
Hey guys!
I recently purchased what was advertised as a 1981 Fuji Royale, with the serial KK001034. I don't think I can post pictures yet due to being a new member to the forums
The serial number indicates indicates that the frame was manufactrured during November 1980. That is late enough in the calendar year, that it should be a 1981 model. That only photos in gallery album are of a gold Benotto.
Old 07-20-22, 07:03 AM
TXtea

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've seen one of these before. It was almost, if not exactly the same. Everything is checking the boxes for circa 1984, It's very old school ATB, with slack angles and a very long wheelbase. The tubing decal is the original Tange MTB version, before they redesigned it in the late 1980s. This is one case where the nutted hubs aren't an inidcator of a lower level bicycle. Originally, a more positive wheel retention was considered desirable. Those extreme seat back SR MTE-101 seat posts were released for the 1984 model year and are becoming collectible. From what I can see, everything appears to be OEM. Selective photo assist...
Thanks T-Mar! That is way more info than I expected, so I really appreciate it! And I appreciate the photo assist. I definitely agree it is a time capsule and rides really well. I just wish it was a little larger so it would fit me better, but it's good for a cruiser. If you happen to come across a photo of another one, please send it my way.
Old 07-20-22, 10:58 PM
jaybike

Bikes: A Bianchi, Fuji Royale, Trek 715, and Benotto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The serial number indicates indicates that the frame was manufactrured during November 1980. That is late enough in the calendar year, that it should be a 1981 model. That only photos in gallery album are of a gold Benotto.
Thanks for deciphering, T-Mar! Yes, I’ll post some photos of the Fuji when I’m back in town.
Old 07-22-22, 01:16 PM
kingoffootball

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diamond Back

Thank you for the very informative thread, it's very insightful for the 80s and 90s mountain bikes I'm interested in.

Originally Posted by wrk101
Another one, Its a 1984 Diamondback Mean Streak. Serial number does not follow N(1) or Fairly. Marked made in Japan. Paint scheme matches 1983 version. Derailleur date codes are July 1983.

I am used to National made bikes having the serial on the lower head tube. But it does follow National layout for February 1984. Faux bi-plane fork, missing original bull moose bars. Putting Fat Franks on it, just for kicks. Ape hangers and Next stem have been removed.
I don't know if it's useful for the records, but I owned a 1982 Diamond Back Ridge Runner and that did follow the N(1) serial format: N2S6615.
Old 08-05-22, 01:03 PM
NCEdwardm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello I have a 1986 Schwinn High Sierra. just noting the SN G0786 is on the BB not the dropout. I have pics but can't upload them since I'm new here.
Edward
Old 08-07-22, 08:11 PM
rickpaulos

Originally Posted by NCEdwardm
Hello I have a 1986 Schwinn High Sierra. just noting the SN G0786 is on the BB not the dropout. I have pics but can't upload them since I'm new here.
Edward

GN0786 is the Giant date code (July 1986). There is an actual serial number on the frame somewhere. Bike made by Giant of Taiwan. The chicago factory was closed by then. The Greenville factory mostly made road bikes.

You can upload your photos to a photo sharing site like flickr and include the link here.
Old 08-08-22, 09:14 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
You can upload your photos to a photo sharing site like flickr and include the link here.
As a new member, the poster's links won't work either. However, new members' blocked attempts to post photos still end up in their galleries, for others to view/post.

Photo assist.

NCEdwardm , it would be a good idea to remove that kickstand and check for damage underneath the plates. And unless you REALLY want to keep it, it would also be good not to reinstall it. Those clamp-mount style of kickstands can damage the stays, if they're overtightened, or if they're allowed to move around on the stays.
Old 08-11-22, 11:45 PM
d_sic3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got an interesting one. My bike's serial placement is on the bridge of the chainstays and not on the head tube or below the BB as compared to most.
It reads 9B00071. Not sure if those info can help figure out the manufacturer of this bike. Can't post photos at the moment.

Bike details:
>Frame is Chromoly (it has "road athlete" decal)
>RD - Shimano Skylark (has LH, probably 80's era)
>FD - No model, only has Shimano logo
>Shifters - Shimano tube shifters
>Rims - Araya (these were heavy)
>Handlebar - Alps
>Brake Lever - Yoshikawa

Last edited by d_sic3; 08-11-22 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-14-22, 02:45 PM
zookster 

Bikes: 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento, 1965 Schwinn Racer 3-speed, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 2013 Giant Seek 1

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 198 Posts
Picked up a Schwinn Sprint a few days ago. I know it is a bottom rung offering, but I dig the dark purple/maroon color. From what I have learned on this forum, I think it is a 1989 model. T-Mar can you confirm please? Head badge is stamped 3508 (meaning 350th day of 1988, December 15th?), serial number is GM830974. Suntour shifter, SL FD and Accushift 2000 RD.

Last edited by zookster; 08-14-22 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added photo of additional numbers on BB
Old 08-21-22, 03:14 PM
H2Rick

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn (Panasonic) Le Tour Tourist 10 speed, 1972? Hiawatha 10 Speed, 1981 Schwinn (Giant) World Tourist w/Shimano FF System, 1984 Miyata 710 (work in progress), 1985 Miyata 90 (mint condition but too small for me),1971 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Hey !! I picked up its younger (1985) brother last year while we were in AZ for the winter, Zookster. Long story but it turns out that mine was originally sold by a bike shop in Davenport, IA......just about 30 miles from the hometown of the guy I sold it to. What are the odds ??? He knew the shop well and had bought bikes for his kids from them. When I showed him this nice Sprint with the d-sticker still intact, he just had to have it. Besides, who doesn't like a bright red bike in such nice condition ?? I cleaned up/polished everything, installed a new set of Cheng Shin HP tires and a polished-up Pletscher Model C rat trap carrier on the back. The old girl looked pretty nice IMO. I would have kept it myself but the 21" frame is just tooooo small for me.
As an aside to prevent any remarks by the Schwinn purists out there, I know it should have drop bars on it but it seems that someone along the way has replaced the original bars with a set of touring bars and levers from a Collegiate or a similar model. It actually makes it more rideable for seniors like the guy I sold it to.

1985 Schwinn Sprint

Last edited by H2Rick; 08-21-22 at 04:09 PM.
Likes For H2Rick:
Old 08-21-22, 03:57 PM
H2Rick

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn (Panasonic) Le Tour Tourist 10 speed, 1972? Hiawatha 10 Speed, 1981 Schwinn (Giant) World Tourist w/Shimano FF System, 1984 Miyata 710 (work in progress), 1985 Miyata 90 (mint condition but too small for me),1971 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
OK, T-Mar, here's one that has me baffled......

and I'd really appreciate your help with any background on it. Apparently, it's a Yamaguchi circa 1976 but that's about all I can figure out.

Likes For H2Rick:
Old 09-07-22, 06:02 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
Grabbed this Kuwahara Count yesterday. Dang beautiful from a few feet away. Still sorting it out though. If I understand the reference this is a August 1983 bike. That's when I joined the army.

Serial Number

How I brought it home

How I rode it today despite it hanging for over 20 years. Still more to do on it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.