Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Catastrophic Vintage Parts and Frames

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-22, 09:34 AM
Maohaus

Bikes: Fuji, Colnago, Trek, Raleigh, Motobecane, Araya, Famolare, Elgin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 38 Posts

Still a newbie to BF, so if this has already been done, or suggested, my apologies.

I would love to have a master list of known components, frames and bikes that are known to fail, and which cause catastrophic accidents. It seems to me that this should be a "sticky thread" so nobody falls victim to a C & V part that may cause a serious injury.
Old 01-26-22, 09:49 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
Interesting topic. I think there could be a short list of mostly forks and a few stems that could be listed:

Forks:
Ishiwata fork crowns on some early 80's Treks
Viscount Aerospace aluminum forks
Bianchi Randonneurs had a fork recall

Stems:
AVA - not sure exact model
Old 01-26-22, 10:01 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
This site has been around for a while:

https://pardo.net/bike/pic/
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-26-22, 10:07 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
The quill stems with cone expanders can be problematic.
Here's a shot of an AVA stem of this type:

The real problem, as I understand it, are the slots near the cone expander...

the slots appear to be cut with a saw, leaving sharp corners at the top of the slot. The sharp corners concentrate the stress, making it easier for cracks to start there when the cone (at the bottom of the quill) is tightened. Cracks in the stem are obviously (I hope) not a good thing, leading to the stem being loose in the fork or breaking entirely.

An interesting detail of these stems is that the extension is often hollow, as shown below:

This is an interesting detail, and kind of neat, but this sort of non-circular hole was made by casting the aluminum in a mold, which means that the stem was not forged like many of our favorite stems. Cast aluminum has less stength and a shorter fatigue life than forged aluminum, partly from the increased porosity and poorer grain structure.
A side effect is that the stem is quite flexible! That's why I got rid of this particular stem. ... plus.. it was a 22.0 quill, and the bike needed 22.2mm.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-26-22, 10:22 AM
Maohaus

My software security would not allow access to pardo.net.
Old 01-26-22, 10:41 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,462 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by Maohaus
If you drop the "s" from "https" in the URL you will open it just fine.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-26-22, 10:50 AM
Maohaus

Yup, dropping the "s" worked - wow, that is quite a collection. I am amazed at what people have time to do. Great resource no doubt. Still think it would be helpful to hear from the brain trust here in BF's!
Old 01-26-22, 10:54 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Old 01-26-22, 11:28 AM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
1. Spinergy Rev X wheels.

2. A lot of the old French stems such as AVA and Atax.

3. The Viscount Aluminum forks.
Old 01-26-22, 12:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
...most older aluminum alloy stems and bars (the ones without reinforcing sleeves, made from less sophisticated alloys) will eventually sag, and then fail. There are some aluminum alloy cranks that have something of a reputation for breaking at the pedal eye, or cracking at the spider, like Campy NR.

We still use them, because the failure rates are smaller, as a percentage of those made and used. But yes, the AVA stems were especially problematic at a certain spot in time, due to both design and the thinning of the castings down near the expansion wedge.

I take a close look at anything aluminum I'm reusing on a bike build. Here is a photo of bar and stem taken off a PX-10 that was rode hard and put away wet.

Old 01-26-22, 01:38 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
First-generation Sugino Mighty Compe cranks. (Been there ... done that. I broke one across the pedal eye during an out-of-saddle climb. Minor injuries only, but definitely not fun!)

Significantly, the 1973 and later versions had another mm of material on both sides of the pedal eye, an increase of about almost 20 percent.

I have broken frames, rear axles, front hub flanges, cottered steel cranks (non-drive side, across the cotter eye), pedal cages, and spokes, but without any danger of injury.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-26-22, 02:09 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Some cranks are prone to very small cracks at the juncture between drive side arm and spider, like this one (Specialized “Flag”) below that can lead to eventual failure. The always popular Campagnolo Record is known for this issue.

Good news is that it can be corrected if caught early enough by carefully filing that location below the depth of the crack. Here’s the same crank after that treatment:

Likes For Dfrost:
Old 01-26-22, 02:33 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,456 Times in 3,192 Posts
It seems to me that this should be a "sticky."
If everyone got his choice of sticky, current threads would start on page 10.

There's really only a couple pseudo dangerous items worth mentioning.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-27-22, 02:13 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
If you drop the "s" from "https" in the URL you will open it just fine.
Brent
I went to remove the "s" in the link I provided, clicked on "Edit" and saw that the link I provided did not have the "s," so something in the vbulletin software is adding the "s" in the link it displays to users.

Weird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
vbulletin.jpg (55.1 KB, 322 views)
Old 01-27-22, 02:19 PM
Maohaus

Well, I guess the BF can decide which items are worthy to be stuck. Personally, I think rider safety would be a worthwhile, if not essential, stick. If just one person avoids a catastrophic event on a CV ride it would be worth it. There are a lot of parts and frames floating around out there and it would be a shame if someone was injured or killed simply because they were unaware of a part that was potentially a hazard - especially considering these items are nearly 30-60+ years old!
Old 01-27-22, 02:36 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
The first- and second-gen Phil Wood BBs are known for breaking. We have one in my family that my dad bought very early (first gen) and he broke it so then he got it warranteed and updated to second-gen and passed it on to me, and I broke the second-gen and got it warranteed for a third-gen and now I'm probably safe because I don't think the third-gen ones have a bad rep.

Many BB axles have known stress-risers in silly places. The old Viscount ones with the snap-ring grooves, and I think there's some FSA ones like that too. The Phils I think start to crack at the tool marks on the roughly-machined flats of the square taper. The ones that don't have these marks and have a more gradual lead-in to the taper are much less susceptible to cracking.
Old 01-27-22, 02:38 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
Well, I guess the BF can decide which items are worthy to be stuck. Personally, I think rider safety would be a worthwhile, if not essential, stick. If just one person avoids a catastrophic event on a CV ride it would be worth it. There are a lot of parts and frames floating around out there and it would be a shame if someone was injured or killed simply because they were unaware of a part that was potentially a hazard - especially considering these items are nearly 30-60+ years old!
...as I stated earlier, all aluminum alloy bicycle components that old ought to be inspected carefully before re-use. I have had stuff fail while riding, like a bar I broke once, near the stem. Yet I had ridden thousands of miles on similar bars prior to that date. Now, I toss them, rather than re-use them. There are a lot of creative ways to hurt yourself on a bicycle, and almost everything will break if you either use it long enough, or provide enough stress on it, even frames.

I know you mean well, but even if a list of stuff goes up here, and is maintained in great detail, people are gonna use stuff, just because it's old and original. That's how people are.
Old 01-27-22, 03:12 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
We've been around this block a few times. For example, in the early 90's, I was hammering in rush hour and snapped a Shimano Arabesque DS crank in the middle of the arm. The crank wasn't that old back then and I could have died on that one. Turns out there was a void in the middle of the arm, invisible to an inspection. That's a very popular crank that many members have owned and ridden for decades without issue so what to do? It's kind of foolish to slap a 'DO NOT USE' hashtag or sticky on these parts based on one persons experience. The internet tends to blow issues out of proportion.

There's really a very short list of parts that are considered dangerous by this vintage group and they've been mentioned. Fortunately, most bike problems give notice when things start to go south. Catastrophic failures are mostly rare.

The mods here have good judgment and run a great forum. Go with it for awhile before asking for changes?
Likes For clubman:
Old 01-27-22, 03:17 PM
Maohaus

I am not arguing or insisting anything from BF or its members. Just suggesting. I won't make that mistake again.
Old 01-27-22, 04:25 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
No flags on the play. You were polite in asking and no mistakes were made. It's hard to get a sticky...
Old 01-27-22, 04:54 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Still a newbie to BF, so if this has already been done, or suggested, my apologies.

I would love to have a master list of known components, frames and bikes that are known to fail, and which cause catastrophic accidents. It seems to me that this should be a "sticky thread" so nobody falls victim to a C & V part that may cause a serious injury.
Do you want to know about parts that are guaranteed to fail, or parts which have ever failed? If it is known that a few examples of a part have failed, how is that information useful? Even famous "death forks" have probably not all failed.

If you think there is a probability threshold that is useful to draw a line, how do you set that threshold and how do you know if the set of all example is in the "death" category?

I would just like to know how you see this working.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 01-27-22, 05:10 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Maohaus makes a good point. Some of us who have been around bikes for many decades know about Viscount forks and Pivo stems and '60s/early '70s small-diameter French and Italian stems and Campy Record cranks and so on. (And at that, when a photo of a sagging French drop bar was posted a few years ago, the majority of C&V regulars refused to believe that it hadn't left the factory in that condition.)

Some of the veteran posters haven't been C&Vers long enough to have learned all there is to know on that topic, though, and there are frequently newcomers to C&V bikes who visit the Classic and Vintage forum for the first time. A sticky on the topic could, indeed, literally be a lifesaver, as Maohaus says.

There are currently 11 stickies in this subforum. Seems the bar to get a sticky stickied might not be impossibly high. But if 11 is the limit, I think it's possible that we would all survive the jettisoning of the "Post pics of you and your bike!" sticky.

Last edited by Trakhak; 01-27-22 at 05:14 PM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-27-22, 05:11 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
The quill stems with cone expanders can be problematic.
Here's a shot of an AVA stem of this type:

The real problem, as I understand it, are the slots near the cone expander...

the slots appear to be cut with a saw, leaving sharp corners at the top of the slot. The sharp corners concentrate the stress, making it easier for cracks to start there when the cone (at the bottom of the quill) is tightened. Cracks in the stem are obviously (I hope) not a good thing, leading to the stem being loose in the fork or breaking entirely.

An interesting detail of these stems is that the extension is often hollow, as shown below:

This is an interesting detail, and kind of neat, but this sort of non-circular hole was made by casting the aluminum in a mold, which means that the stem was not forged like many of our favorite stems. Cast aluminum has less stength and a shorter fatigue life than forged aluminum, partly from the increased porosity and poorer grain structure.
A side effect is that the stem is quite flexible! That's why I got rid of this particular stem. ... plus.. it was a 22.0 quill, and the bike needed 22.2mm.

Steve in Peoria
I always thought that the solution (or at east an improvement) to the bottom slot stress riser was to drill a round hole at the top end of the slot to make sure the stresses due to outward bending are less concentrated than at the original small radius at the top of the slot.

So is it a death stem without an added radius and a safe stem with a radiusing?

Similarly Campy crank arms which have had some failures on sharp edges near where the arm transitions into the socket eye that contains the square taper: an commonly discussed fix was to make a radius with a mill file, Dremel cutter, or a strip of emery cloth, to de-focus the stress concentration.
Old 01-27-22, 05:26 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
By the way, Mauhaus, I suggest posting your suggestion here, where it will be considered by the people who are in a position to act on it:

https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...er-assistance/
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-27-22, 05:31 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Swaged cranksets reportedly not as strong as forged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.